mtbr member
    Mar 2012

2015 Devinci Troy XP Carbon vs. 2014 Ibis Mojo HDR

Hi All,

It comes down to these two bikes. I need to make a decision this week. It is between the Devinci Troy Carbon XP and this Ibis Mojo HDR

Both are about the same price, my budget is met with each. Can't afford to add on a dropper post on either (for now). Each has it's advantages.

a third option is to go with the alloy version of the Troy and add the stealth dropper post. That also falls in budget.

(i could also leave it to the flip of a coin).

is anybody familiar with both of these bikes who can help with some unbiased advice?

Al.

mtbr member
    HD although I have no experience on the Troy, but the HD brand of bikes are of the highest order.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Those two bikes have a massively different geometry/sizing. Size for size you will need close to a 25mm longer stem on the HDR to get the same fit. Troy BB height is usefully lower. HDR standover is also higher. HDR wheelbase is shorter. On the Troy you need to slam the saddle back on its rails in the seatpost to get a comfortable seated pedalling position. I've had a Dixon and now have a Spartan. Split pivot is very simple but works well. Girlfriend has an HD and fit issues and wheelbase have been a limiting factor. Buy the one that fits.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Nooshi View Post
    Hi All,

It comes down to these two bikes. I need to make a decision this week. It is between the Devinci Troy Carbon XP and this Ibis Mojo HDR

Both are about the same price, my budget is met with each. Can't afford to add on a dropper post on either (for now). Each has it's advantages.

a third option is to go with the alloy version of the Troy and add the stealth dropper post. That also falls in budget.

(i could also leave it to the flip of a coin).

is anybody familiar with both of these bikes who can help with some unbiased advice?

Al.
    Can't comment on the HD. I have a Troy Carbon, and really like it. As far as Carbon with no dropper vs. Alu with, it depends on your riding terrain. If you ride in an area thats super rocky, I would think aluminum would be a better call. If not and you could go either way, I'd get the better frame and upgrade later. Most of us have been riding without droppers for years. While it's really awesome to have, it's not essential to have right away.

The temptation is there to have the complete package right away. However, I would think if carbon is ultimately what you want, you'd be happier with that and upgrade in time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I've ridden both. One was a test ride on a Devinci that I almost bought and the Ibis was a demo ride. Both ride differently. There are two issues at hand here. Petercarn nailed one of them above. Try the one that fits. The other is the component mix. Do you really want to spend 3500-4000 on a high end carbon bike that comes with those shitty jalco rims, formula hubs and the entry level brakes? I would personally pick the Ibis as it fits me better and comes with the major components that I won't have to upgrade anyways. Don't pay that kind of money for a bike you haven't ridden.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I appreciate all your comments. I haven't ridden either of them. I live overseas, and it is honestly a last minute opportunity to get a bike from the US and have someone bring it here tax-free. I try to compare the Troy geometries to my favorite bike. but it isn't quite the same because on that bike I was riding 100mm, and since then I went more all-mountain and got a little more 'adventurous'.

I know it is a big investment, but it is a huge savings. Same bike would probably cost another 50% on top of that price.

I agree with MrMentallo, the components are a big factor, nothing to change on the Ibis.

I also agree with petercarm that the split pivot technology works very well, noteably better than DW-Link.

i would hate to lose the chance to bring it here cheap. Need it delivered to Newark by the 26th.

thanks...

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Wow, I just looked at that link. That's a freaking steal. If the fit is good, even as a enthusiastic Troy owner, I'd say go with the HD. The only thing the XP has on that spec is the Pike. Then, again, if you really wanted it, sell the 34 and buy the Pike. It would certainly be less out of your pocket than getting the XP and upgrading the wheels and drivetrain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Yeah, the Mojo package is a sweet deal. And is claimed to be under 28.5 pounds (without pedals).

...and you are a enthusiastic Troy owner? Did you get the XP package?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I would get the Ibis since the price and parts spec is really good. If you don't like the frame sell it and buy a frame you have ridden. You'll still have money in your pocket and a really good build kit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Nooshi View Post
    Yeah, the Mojo package is a sweet deal. And is claimed to be under 28.5 pounds (without pedals).

...and you are a enthusiastic Troy owner? Did you get the XP package?
    Yup, I love my troy. Yes to the XP package, albeit a 2014 model. Nice and firm pedaling. Not a hardtail, but firm all the same. Playful/flickable. The rear end gets twitchy after 28 mph or so. Truthfully, whats between my ears and what's between my legs usually don't egg me on to go too much faster anyway. I'm a pretty cautious guy.

As I said, that HD is a smoking deal. It would still be the wrong call to get it if the fit isn't right though.