Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Stan's Iron Cross.
    oops, sorry I wasn't specific enough. I am using this bike as a road bike and possibly cross. The Stans Iron Cross has a 45 psi limit on tire pressure....that puts it out of the running for me.

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpow2 View Post
    How are people going with getting replacement mechanicals???

My bikes been at the shop since late Dec and every time I call it's *sram will get stock any day now*. Tempted to retrieve my bike and take the risk.

Melbourne, Australia.

Edit: Aww crap, dealer has removed hydro so no point retrieving bike as it's brakeless. Eta of replacements still unknown
    Any updates? I have heard various horror stories from the UK/Australia on different boards as it sounds as though the SRAM distributorship is... not as efficient as it could be in those countries, perhaps.

Mine were replaced within an hour at 2014 US Cross Nats, but that's because SRAM took their entire team and a crapload of equipment and concentrated a great deal of effort into having as many done during that week as possible. And I only had them done because after six full months of flawless functionality, including 2 races in sub 10F temperatures, the rear one finally failed on me mid-race. Which ultimately turned out to be no big deal as the course was so slow, muddy and technical for my field that it was faster to just run the really sketchy downhill offcamber (like, literally, I passed girls whilst running, it was insane) and otherwise we were going so slowly a back brake just wasn't even that necessary. Sure it would have been nice for it to have waited another 40 minutes not to fail, but oh, well. Our team mechanic took one look at the failed brake (lever to bar, no pressure) and marched me right over to the SRAM booth to drop off the bike. They literally turned it around and texted me it was done / ready to pick up before I finished my lunch.

For the record my husband is still riding his with no issues and he intends to wait until the new ones are released in April, so long as his hold out.

The BB7s are not horrible now that I'm used to them, but they are nothing like as nice as the hydros, and they're a whole lot more noisy and finicky with regard to having to constantly be readjusted. Oh and another thing - now that I've gotten used to those massive hoods, the regular Red / BB7 hoods feel nothing like as safe to haul on for leverage thru slop or descending securely, etc.

mtbr member
    May have been covered...but what's the rear spacing on the crux?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Last time I called my LBS was early Feb, around the 4th I think, and it was still words to the effect "distributor will have them any day now, so sorry, we recognise how frustrating this must be..."

I've still heard nothing, so I'm assuming I'm still without brakes. (I'm out of the country on holidays till next week, so haven't been pestering LBS. I'm back Wed 19th Feb and if I'm still off the road then ...well, I'm going to be rather upset

In hindsight, I should have just kept riding the hydros...:-( In my wildest estimation I would have thought late January as the worst cast scenario...

Quote Originally Posted by lonefrontranger View Post
    Any updates? I have heard various horror stories from the UK/Australia on different boards as it sounds as though the SRAM distributorship is... not as efficient as it could be in those countries, perhaps.

Mine were replaced within an hour at 2014 US Cross Nats, but that's because SRAM took their entire team and a crapload of equipment and concentrated a great deal of effort into having as many done during that week as possible. And I only had them done because after six full months of flawless functionality, including 2 races in sub 10F temperatures, the rear one finally failed on me mid-race. Which ultimately turned out to be no big deal as the course was so slow, muddy and technical for my field that it was faster to just run the really sketchy downhill offcamber (like, literally, I passed girls whilst running, it was insane) and otherwise we were going so slowly a back brake just wasn't even that necessary. Sure it would have been nice for it to have waited another 40 minutes not to fail, but oh, well. Our team mechanic took one look at the failed brake (lever to bar, no pressure) and marched me right over to the SRAM booth to drop off the bike. They literally turned it around and texted me it was done / ready to pick up before I finished my lunch.

For the record my husband is still riding his with no issues and he intends to wait until the new ones are released in April, so long as his hold out.

The BB7s are not horrible now that I'm used to them, but they are nothing like as nice as the hydros, and they're a whole lot more noisy and finicky with regard to having to constantly be readjusted. Oh and another thing - now that I've gotten used to those massive hoods, the regular Red / BB7 hoods feel nothing like as safe to haul on for leverage thru slop or descending securely, etc.

menace to myself & others
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghughes.hesinc View Post
    May have been covered...but what's the rear spacing on the crux?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Update:

19th Feb and still nothing has arrived at my LBS

Waiting on a call from LBS who are contacting the distributor now, though the distributor has always said "couple of days..." so will take the next estimate with more than a grain of salt!

Coming up to 2 months off the road...

Last time I called my LBS was early Feb, around the 4th I think, and it was still words to the effect "distributor will have them any day now, so sorry, we recognise how frustrating this must be..."

I've still heard nothing, so I'm assuming I'm still without brakes. (I'm out of the country on holidays till next week, so haven't been pestering LBS. I'm back Wed 19th Feb and if I'm still off the road then ...well, I'm going to be rather upset

In hindsight, I should have just kept riding the hydros...:-( In my wildest estimation I would have thought late January as the worst cast scenario...

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    I wonder if there isn't anyone "inside" the industry here on MTBR (like, maybe on the SRAM forum) that you can contact to rant about this. SRAM is extremely good on customer service. From what I understand regarding their interactions here in North America, they do not want this kind of bad experience between them and the direct user. Please consider ratting out your distributor directly to SRAM. I don't have names here that can help you in AUS but perhaps you can go directly onto SRAM's website and contact them there. Believe me they want this solved quickly.

If it is a communications breakdown between your shop and the distributor, having the bigger boot from higher up can often break the logjam, whatever it is.

I've worked at shops. None of the shops I ever worked at would have tolerated this sort of interaction with a distributor - they would have gotten the mfgr. directly involved. (although, your shop bosses may vary.)

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    When the local distributor came back to me, via LBS, with a new estimate of APRIL, I emailed SRAM USA (...after calming down). They have asked me to get my LBS to contact SRAM USA directly - when the shop opens this morning I'll pass on the information. Lets see what happens...

Quote Originally Posted by lonefrontranger View Post
    I wonder if there isn't anyone "inside" the industry here on MTBR (like, maybe on the SRAM forum) that you can contact to rant about this. SRAM is extremely good on customer service. From what I understand regarding their interactions here in North America, they do not want this kind of bad experience between them and the direct user. Please consider ratting out your distributor directly to SRAM. I don't have names here that can help you in AUS but perhaps you can go directly onto SRAM's website and contact them there. Believe me they want this solved quickly.

If it is a communications breakdown between your shop and the distributor, having the bigger boot from higher up can often break the logjam, whatever it is.

I've worked at shops. None of the shops I ever worked at would have tolerated this sort of interaction with a distributor - they would have gotten the mfgr. directly involved. (although, your shop bosses may vary.)

Good luck!

Bring back the Tour de GA
    I got my BB7 brakes and Force shifters installed last week and took the Crux out for a gravel ride Monday. Sure was fun to ride that sweet bike again. Everything worked flawlessly. I didn't really notice a lot of difference, but then I don't really use the brakes a lot on gravel rides. When I needed them, they worked. Maybe not quite as smooth as the hydros, but not bad.
    There's only two things in life (but I forget what they are). - John Hiatt

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Update (hey, it's cathartic):

Heard nothing from LBS and it's soon closing time so I called SRAM AUS myself (SRAM USA kindly gave me their number, they have been very responsive), bypassing the local distributor (which my LBS insists on going through still, reluctant to move further up the chain, they said they would eventually but I lost patience).

Long story short, SRAM AUS (got to bottom of issue in less than a minute, my name wasn't on their list!!!! A clear and obvious break down in communication) have parts, have had them for a month, and have couriered them to my LBS, so should be back on board in a couple of days

Fingers crossed

Edit: less than 24 hours later and I've got bike back with new brakes

When the local distributor came back to me, via LBS, with a new estimate of APRIL, I emailed SRAM USA (...after calming down). They have asked me to get my LBS to contact SRAM USA directly - when the shop opens this morning I'll pass on the information. Lets see what happens...
    Last edited by jmpow2; 02-20-2014 at 09:49 PM.

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    Update (hey, it's cathartic):

Heard nothing from LBS and it's soon closing time so I called SRAM AUS myself (SRAM USA kindly gave me their number, they have been very responsive), bypassing the local distributor (which my LBS insists on going through still, reluctant to move further up the chain, they said they would eventually but I lost patience).

Long story short, SRAM AUS (got to bottom of issue in less than a minute, my name wasn't on their list!!!! A clear and obvious break down in communication) have parts, have had them for a month, and have couriered them to my LBS, so should be back on board in a couple of days

Fingers crossed

Edit: less than 24 hours later and I've got bike back with new brakes
    Dude AWESOME!!

lesson learned (like I said I'm an old shop rat / warranty warrior) never be afraid to ESCALATE, especially with a company as well regarded as SRAM in the customer service field. From my experience with SRAM, it is usually never directly their issue, it's always some kind of distributor / local breakdown, which it seems it was in your case.

edit - long story short this sort of frustrating interaction in the late 90s between my former shop and the US Colnago distributor is why they are no longer the US Colnago distributor...

Enjoy!!

mtbr member
    I pick up my 2014 Crux Elite Evo Disc this week and I've asked for the SRAM Hydros to be removed and replaced with Force and TRP HyRD's. I won't be putting the SRAM hydros on at all. In all I had a reduction in price that put the bike under $3000 here in Canada.

Force levers with TRP's are more than enough. I've been using SRAM red shifters for 4 years now and they have been brilliant. According to my bike shop, and they are one of the biggest in Canada, SRAM have no solution for this country to fix this issue. It's a shame they didn't do their homework on this product.

mtbr member
    I have a sizing question about the Crux...
    Both the Tarmac and Roubaix fit me well in a 56. I assume that a Crux in a 56 would also work...or would most folks size down?
    Thinking about mostly gravel road riding with some trail.
    Thanks!
    Ski Good or Eat Wood

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Snosaw View Post
    Both the Tarmac and Roubaix fit me well in a 56. I assume that a Crux in a 56 would also work...or would most folks size down?
    Thanks!
    It should size out about the same. The reason you'd size down would be for serious high-level cross racing, mainly to have a bike that's more flickable with a lower front end. Doesn't sound like that's your focus. From what I can tell the Crux/Tarmac sizing is pretty similar with the usual geometry variances between competitive road and CX being that the Crux runs a tiny bit shorter in the TT / higher in the HT and the wheelbase is longer. With cross tires and a higher BB you'll feel a bit "taller" on the Crux than the Tarmac, would be my guess. I'm going to guess it'll feel very similar to your Roubaix fit-wise.

mtbr member
    Thanks! That is what I thought.
    Ski Good or Eat Wood

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snosaw View Post
    Thanks!
    I've ridden various 56cm Specialized bikes over the past 25 years, to include the Allez I just sold, the Roubaix I still have, and the 2 Crux I own. My only concession to 'cross sizing was to shorten the stem by 1cm and raise it 5mm. The only way I could get the reach to the bars correct on a 54 would be to add a crap load of spacers and use a 13cm stem. YMMV

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5