Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    yeah i agree with you, if i could "build to order" I would
    I don't have parts lying around tho

That being said, i saw a crux race commuting on the rovals yesterday in front of me, damn it still looks nice.. :P

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

New question here.

I am currently in the market for a new bike and would like to have something that will be good for the D2R2 and rides like that. I enjoy tying together dirt road loops from my home and doing the ever increasing dirt road events that are getting more popular. I am a CAT4 racer in CX and have a bike now, I don't ever finish anywhere near the front so if I keep racing my old Trek XO1 it's not a big deal to me. What I am interested in is a bike that I can take on epic climbing rides where the pavement is at a minimum. I am looking for input as I am at a toss up for the Crux EVO or going the way of getting a Roubaix Sport Disk, both bikes have similar group and wheelsets. Things I am looking at are tire size that can be run on either bike and gearing due to the nature of the riding around Vermont. With my lack of keeping my mouth shut when offered ice cream from my wife I need all the help I can get. I have been doing these rides on a road bike set up with the Wi-Fi 11-32 and compact 52-36 with 25's but find them a little to narrow for this going forward. The Roubaix was my 1st choice however I am hearing all this great news about the CRUX being a great all around bike I am beginning to have second thoughts here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    GreenMtn....I've ridden the D2R2 many times...so I know where you are coming from.

The Crux will be a very good bike...and you can use it for Cross too.

But I rode a freind's 2012 Roubaix at this years event for 1 climb and descent.....and it impressed the hell out of me!

This year I rode a Ridley XFire disc...which climbed great....BUT...it is really stiff and quick handling. When you get over 30 mph on washboard dirt....it never wobbled...but it didn't inspire confidence.Basically...everything that makes it a great race bike...has it's limits at the D2.
    The Roubaix was super smooth and steady.

I have the hots for the Roubaix Expert Di2 disc.....it might be the ultimate do-all bike. With a gearing and tire change....I can go from road bike to dirt road bike easily.
    But it's not a cross bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

@ greenmtn.man

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMtn.Man View Post
    I am currently in the market for a new bike and would like to have something that will be good for the D2R2 and rides like that. I enjoy tying together dirt road loops from my home and doing the ever increasing dirt road events that are getting more popular. I am a CAT4 racer in CX and have a bike now, I don't ever finish anywhere near the front so if I keep racing my old Trek XO1 it's not a big deal to me. What I am interested in is a bike that I can take on epic climbing rides where the pavement is at a minimum. I am looking for input as I am at a toss up for the Crux EVO or going the way of getting a Roubaix Sport Disk, both bikes have similar group and wheelsets. Things I am looking at are tire size that can be run on either bike and gearing due to the nature of the riding around Vermont. With my lack of keeping my mouth shut when offered ice cream from my wife I need all the help I can get. I have been doing these rides on a road bike set up with the Wi-Fi 11-32 and compact 52-36 with 25's but find them a little to narrow for this going forward. The Roubaix was my 1st choice however I am hearing all this great news about the CRUX being a great all around bike I am beginning to have second thoughts here.
    You have had one vote for the Roubaix Sport. It's an amazing bike. I rode one before purchasing a crux pro disc, which I had the extreme pleasure of receiving about a month ago and I haven't stopped smiling since. I live in a very hilly region in Australia. I don't know your terrain, but the crux is spectacular on hills.

Comparing the two bikes you have mentioned, the geometry will be very similar to the point that you probably won't notice the difference. The Roubaix will most likely be lighter, but the Crux will fit fatter tires. I'm not sure of the maximum clearances, but a previous post said 40mm on the Crux which seems about right (the comparative data should be available from your LBS). The wider tires will mean even more rotating weight.

As a result I think the Roubaix will likely climb better. But you seem to be intent on fatter tires for gravel use and I think you're spot on there. I run trigger tires (32mm) on my Crux at 60psi. It seems more comfortable and compliant than the equivalent Roubaix on more narrow tires. The Crux climbs amazingly well also. And it will fit your wi-fli cassette.

If you're going on gravel, I would prioritize the fatter tires. Yesterday I had a freak experience to solidlify that choice. I was about 2 miles into a long climb, on the second largest cog. I'm about 12 lbs heavier than my previous glorious self, so I was puffing and traveling at probably 5 mph. Hearing a car approach from behind on the winding stretch I brought the bike to the side of the road and a exactly the point that the car passed a black snake was startled by me and popped into the road. (They're reportedly more than 4 times more toxic than rattlesnakes but only aggressive when scared - which this one was).

Diverting into the road would have been me being hit by the car. Straight ahead would have meant greatly aggravating a large snake at slow speed. So I took to off-road. Off-road was off-camber (significantly), very loose gravel and dry leaves with some spindly long grass and a smattering of fist-sized rocks.

Had I been on tires anything 25mm or less, I would have slammed onto the road onto or within close striking distance of a very startled (read: pissed off) snake. As is was, I simply steered around it without slipping at all and nothing to do except put my shorts through a deep wash cycle and keep it secret from my wife (she gets paranoid about these things). I would love to think it was my ninja reflexes that saved me, but it was all the bike I'm afraid.

Granted, this isn't likely to happen to you (but you do have bears, which scare me more) but my point is that fatter tires give you more options and can't be overrated for gravel.

As a more regular example of how good the Crux is, at the end of my rides I normally put the bike over a grassy embankment and ride through a local park. I can ride like a grown-up on the road and then feel like a kid again at the end of it. I've even been eyeing off the local skate-park.

The Crux is incredibly good fun, and feels really solid. It also climbs really well. It quite literally makes me feel like a kid again and as a result of it being so enjoyable I'm riding much more.

If you get the Crux, and can therefore part with your other Cross bike, might you be able to justify springing for some lighter components (enve cockpit, for example)? If so, you would probably bring the total weight down to the Roubaix territory and add even more compliance. Just sayin'!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    My buddy has a 2014 Crux with SRAM hydro disc brakes. His last two cyclocross races have been hurt by the rear wheel coming out of the dropout. I assume it's the force of the brakes pulling the wheel down, but it's strange as I've never seen this problem with disc brake mountain bikes. He's tried two different types of skewers with the same result. I suggest he try the DT Swiss ratcheting skewers to see if that would fix it.

Has anyone else had this problem on these bikes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    My buddy has a 2014 Crux with SRAM hydro disc brakes. His last two cyclocross races have been hurt by the rear wheel coming out of the dropout. I assume it's the force of the brakes pulling the wheel down, but it's strange as I've never seen this problem with disc brake mountain bikes. He's tried two different types of skewers with the same result. I suggest he try the DT Swiss ratcheting skewers to see if that would fix it.

Has anyone else had this problem on these bikes?
    Weird, I have a 2014 Crux with hydraulic disc brakes and have experienced zero issues, and definitely no wheels falling out of the drop outs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by DrWild View Post
    You have had one vote for the Roubaix Sport. It's an amazing bike. I rode one before purchasing a crux pro disc, which I had the extreme pleasure of receiving about a month ago and I haven't stopped smiling since. I live in a very hilly region in Australia. I don't know your terrain, but the crux is spectacular on hills.

Comparing the two bikes you have mentioned, the geometry will be very similar to the point that you probably won't notice the difference. The Roubaix will most likely be lighter, but the Crux will fit fatter tires. I'm not sure of the maximum clearances, but a previous post said 40mm on the Crux which seems about right (the comparative data should be available from your LBS). The wider tires will mean even more rotating weight.

As a result I think the Roubaix will likely climb better. But you seem to be intent on fatter tires for gravel use and I think you're spot on there. I run trigger tires (32mm) on my Crux at 60psi. It seems more comfortable and compliant than the equivalent Roubaix on more narrow tires. The Crux climbs amazingly well also. And it will fit your wi-fli cassette.

If you're going on gravel, I would prioritize the fatter tires. Yesterday I had a freak experience to solidlify that choice. I was about 2 miles into a long climb, on the second largest cog. I'm about 12 lbs heavier than my previous glorious self, so I was puffing and traveling at probably 5 mph. Hearing a car approach from behind on the winding stretch I brought the bike to the side of the road and a exactly the point that the car passed a black snake was startled by me and popped into the road. (They're reportedly more than 4 times more toxic than rattlesnakes but only aggressive when scared - which this one was).

Diverting into the road would have been me being hit by the car. Straight ahead would have meant greatly aggravating a large snake at slow speed. So I took to off-road. Off-road was off-camber (significantly), very loose gravel and dry leaves with some spindly long grass and a smattering of fist-sized rocks.

Had I been on tires anything 25mm or less, I would have slammed onto the road onto or within close striking distance of a very startled (read: pissed off) snake. As is was, I simply steered around it without slipping at all and nothing to do except put my shorts through a deep wash cycle and keep it secret from my wife (she gets paranoid about these things). I would love to think it was my ninja reflexes that saved me, but it was all the bike I'm afraid.

Granted, this isn't likely to happen to you (but you do have bears, which scare me more) but my point is that fatter tires give you more options and can't be overrated for gravel.

As a more regular example of how good the Crux is, at the end of my rides I normally put the bike over a grassy embankment and ride through a local park. I can ride like a grown-up on the road and then feel like a kid again at the end of it. I've even been eyeing off the local skate-park.

The Crux is incredibly good fun, and feels really solid. It also climbs really well. It quite literally makes me feel like a kid again and as a result of it being so enjoyable I'm riding much more.

If you get the Crux, and can therefore part with your other Cross bike, might you be able to justify springing for some lighter components (enve cockpit, for example)? If so, you would probably bring the total weight down to the Roubaix territory and add even more compliance. Just sayin'!
    Thanks for the information from both of you, I ended up getting a Roubaix and will wait another year on updating the cross bike. I am looking at a lighter wheelset maybe a Stan's tubeless, looks like the Roubaix is able to take a 28 mm tire. I ride allot of gravel now with 28 file tread and find this to be a good set up. Thanks again for the story!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    i'm wondering if i should get an expert crux or wait for the evo and replace some items of the drive train. the evo just has the "force/red" stuff instead of the "rival/apex" mix and cost quite a bit more (and a few meaningless other changes like tires 'n so on, but i guess everyone just put their own wheels/tires anyways)

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I am starting to research the idea of buying the carbon crux (or someting similar: Giant TCX Advanced, Norco Threshold Carbon, Jamis Supernova, etc) and using it for both cyclocross and as a road bike. I haven't ridden any of them yet. How is the Crux as a road bike? Specifically, my current cross bike with Ritchey WCS carbon fork is fairly annoying on the road as the fork flexes all over the place. How is the geo on the Crux as a road bike? Any other considerations to consider for road riding? As a point of reference, I am used to my Scott CR1 Limited road bike. Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    just bought the expert :P it's better than i expected even as a road bike. rode the tarmac just after and while lighter and a bit faster i like the crux ride better.

mtbr member
    Add the Cannondale Super X to your shopping list. It's easily the best bike, any type of bike I've ridden.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tapeworm View Post
    I am starting to research the idea of buying the carbon crux (or someting similar: Giant TCX Advanced, Norco Threshold Carbon, Jamis Supernova, etc) and using it for both cyclocross and as a road bike. I haven't ridden any of them yet. How is the Crux as a road bike? Specifically, my current cross bike with Ritchey WCS carbon fork is fairly annoying on the road as the fork flexes all over the place. How is the geo on the Crux as a road bike? Any other considerations to consider for road riding? As a point of reference, I am used to my Scott CR1 Limited road bike. Thanks
    There are a lot of great carbon cross bikes out there, the differences can be pretty subtle. There are a couple of things about the carbon Crux that help it stand out, I think.

For example, it's the only race-capable bike I found w/ clearance for a 40mm tire. That was important to me as I intend to use mine as a gravel grinder bike as well as a cross race bike.

I have an SWorks Roubaix that I love, and the steering geometry of the Crux matches the Roubaix. The only differences are a very slightly higher BB than the Roubaix, and a 1cm longer chainstay. I was a little concerned that the chainstay would make the Crux a little less road-worthy. I shouldn't have worried. Can't tell the difference at all. The frame is stiff enough that steering input is spot on, it really carves turns well (I've got quite a few rides on my Crux w/ road tires).

I have to admit I bought my Crux sort of as an experiment, but now I know I'm on the right track. Aside from my XC mtb, the Crux will be my do-everything bike. I am already racing 'cross on it, plan to do gravel events on it, and will use it for the few road races I plan to do next year.

For 'cross and gravel, I'm using a set of Arch EX wheels set up tubeless. For the road, I'm going to run the disc-hubbed Velocity A23 Comp wheels and tubeless Hutchinson Sector tires.

In short, I love the bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mudge View Post
    There are a lot of great carbon cross bikes out there, the differences can be pretty subtle. There are a couple of things about the carbon Crux that help it stand out, I think.

For example, it's the only race-capable bike I found w/ clearance for a 40mm tire. That was important to me as I intend to use mine as a gravel grinder bike as well as a cross race bike.

I have an SWorks Roubaix that I love, and the steering geometry of the Crux matches the Roubaix. The only differences are a very slightly higher BB than the Roubaix, and a 1cm longer chainstay. I was a little concerned that the chainstay would make the Crux a little less road-worthy. I shouldn't have worried. Can't tell the difference at all. The frame is stiff enough that steering input is spot on, it really carves turns well (I've got quite a few rides on my Crux w/ road tires).

I have to admit I bought my Crux sort of as an experiment, but now I know I'm on the right track. Aside from my XC mtb, the Crux will be my do-everything bike. I am already racing 'cross on it, plan to do gravel events on it, and will use it for the few road races I plan to do next year.

For 'cross and gravel, I'm using a set of Arch EX wheels set up tubeless. For the road, I'm going to run the disc-hubbed Velocity A23 Comp wheels and tubeless Hutchinson Sector tires.

In short, I love the bike.
    Mudge,
    What 40mm tires are you specifically using, or going to use, on your Crux? I'm interested in the same thing, but tires around that size seem to be a bit of a rarity.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rwitte View Post
    Mudge,
    What 40mm tires are you specifically using, or going to use, on your Crux? I'm interested in the same thing, but tires around that size seem to be a bit of a rarity.

Thanks.
    Kenda Happy Medium.

When they're available, I'll try out the Surly Knard in 700x41.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Kenda Happy Medium.

When they're available, I'll try out the Surly Knard in 700x41.
    Good info, thanks!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    How much do the 2014 Carbon Cruxes weigh?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    my 56cm 2014 crux expert weights 9kg stock.
    my 56cm 2012 crux comp disc weights 9.9kg stock.

Question: do you guys have the rubber rings on the rear disc brake caliper, where the caliper attaches to the frame? Mine doesn't, all my other disc-brake bikes do. It makes adjusting hard and it even looks like it could damage the carbon frame so I'm wondering if the LBS didn't "forget" to put them.
    Thanks

mtbr member

I have an update with pictures, thoughts, and weights on my 2014 Specialized Crux over on blog. Take a look!

www.CyclesInLife.com
    Last edited by cujarrett; 11-04-2013 at 06:02 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by boubla View Post
    Question: do you guys have the rubber rings on the rear disc brake caliper, where the caliper attaches to the frame? Mine doesn't, all my other disc-brake bikes do. It makes adjusting hard and it even looks like it could damage the carbon frame so I'm wondering if the LBS didn't "forget" to put them.
    Thanks
    nobody can take 10s to reply?

mtbr member
    nobody can take 10s to reply?
    I can't picture what you're talking about. How about post a pic of one of your brakes that has the rings, and a pic of the brake on your Crux. It'll help.

mtbr member
    my 56cm 2014 crux expert weights 9kg stock.
    my 56cm 2012 crux comp disc weights 9.9kg stock.

Thanks
    I have a detail picture of my fork disc brake interface within these pictures. It may answer what you are looking for:

New Bike Day! 2014 Specialized CruX Expert Red Disc | Cycles In Life

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cujarrett View Post
    I have a detail picture of my fork disc brake interface within these pictures. It may answer what you are looking for:

New Bike Day! 2014 Specialized CruX Expert Red Disc | Cycles In Life
    Promoting the blog again??

Those aren't rubber rings, but conical washers. If the face of the brake mounts are square, you don't need 'em. If not, you need 'em on both sides of the brake (between brake and fork, and between brake and bolt head). One set as shown won't allow for any meaningful adjustment that a plain washer won't do just as well.

My Crux came with them on the front, but not the rear. I took 'em off the front, everything is still working just fine.

mtbr member
    Promoting the blog again??

Those aren't rubber rings, but conical washers. If the face of the brake mounts are square, you don't need 'em. If not, you need 'em on both sides of the brake (between brake and fork, and between brake and bolt head). One set as shown won't allow for any meaningful adjustment that a plain washer won't do just as well.

My Crux came with them on the front, but not the rear. I took 'em off the front, everything is still working just fine.
    The guy asked a question that I tried to help with. I wasn't in front of my Crux so I posted a link to where there was a detailed picture of one of the brake mounts, which was more than anyone else did after he asked twice.

On another topic but related to this thread, did anyone else see the news Bike Radar posted about Sram recalling some of the hydraulic rim and disc brakes? Does anyone here have an effected serial numbered product?

SRAM stops sale of Hydro Road brakes - BikeRadar

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cujarrett View Post
    The guy asked a question that I tried to help with. I wasn't in front of my Crux so I posted a link to where there was a detailed picture of one of the brake mounts, which was more than anyone else did after he asked twice.

On another topic but related to this thread, did anyone else see the news Bike Radar posted about Sram recalling some of the hydraulic rim and disc brakes? Does anyone here have an effected serial numbered product?

SRAM stops sale of Hydro Road brakes - BikeRadar

From your link, a few lines below the title.

"serial numbers between 36T30000000 and 42T39999999"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    From your link, a few lines below the title.

"serial numbers between 36T30000000 and 42T39999999"
    Yeah, I saw the effected serial numbers in the link, what I was asking is does anyone on here have an effected brake set.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast