mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Your opinions with these options

I'm in the market for a 'new' bike.

3 options:

Option 1 - 08 Trek x02, DA group, stock canti, mavic aksium race, new cables - 700
    Option 2 - Gin and Trombones - 105, avid ultimate, mavic aksium race - 1000
    Option 3 - Build out a Ritchey Swiss Cross with existing Rival components and road wheels - 1500

Racing, no, riding single track and road rides.

mtbr member
    Hmmm, what DA group is on the Trek? 7800? Those brakes will probably suck. It'll cost around $200 for Ultimates or nice mini-v's.

What year is the Gin?

The Ritchey would be a new frame and fork? If the Ritchey is new I'd buy that.
    Last edited by limba; 11-04-2012 at 05:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The DA group set is an older set and well used. I've taken the x02 out as an option and the cross check maybe a build I'm leaning towards.

The gin is a 2011 build

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    G&T sounds like the best deal. The 4 year old Trek could be beat up: check for chain and cassette wear.

You're talking 2 different types altogether, with the alu frames built up w Shimano, versus the steel frame with Sram. I love Sram and won't ride anything else. Sounds like you could go with either. If your thinking resale value down the line, the G&T would be the easier sell to a crosser. But Ritcheys are classic.

So now you're thinking Surly? Go with the Ritchey, sounds like you're a steel fan. $1k for the Surly versus 1500 for a better frame that rides better. When in doubt, go quality.

Currently in Exile
    Have a buddy riding the Ritchey. It's a beautiful bike and he loves the ride.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have a Ritchey. The coolest bike around. I love it; I use it for road-easy MTB rides and it rides perfectly. The only issue could be that it has no disc brake tabs. I've quitted using cantis when I went headlong against a chain which run from i one side to the other of the path and ended up scratching the headtube. The canti stoppers couldn't stop the machine!. Luckily I had an ultrarare pair of Magura CX brakes lying around. You should try and manage to get a pait of mini vbrakes or v brake compatible levers.

Not the best price too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks, I decided to go with the CC

I've been toying with the Avid Shorty Ultimates but as of now, I'm considering the TRP CX8.4's, we'll see in another week where I may sway.