Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TXTony

Is Your Cross Bike Your Go To Bike Now?

I started on road bikes way back in the day...got serious about mountain biking a little over a decade ago and mountain biking is all I did..hardly touched my road bike...a few years ago I started messing with cross bikes..now it seems every time I go for a ride I grab my cross bike..where the road used to bore me..I find I am seeking out gravel roads to go explore...I ride it on xc trails around here even though I still have perfectly good mountain bikes...for the past year I have hardly touched my mountain bikes as I always grab a cross bike instead...maybe it is just me..maybe counseling would help...just wondering if anyone else suffers from this illness?

mtbr member
    I ride my cross bike WAY more than my mtb...I've probably done at least 30 miles on the cx for every mile I've done on the mtb.

But that's mainly because as much as I enjoy it, riding the mtb is just a PITA. Pack all my gear, load the bike into the car, drive 45 min to the trail, then pack it all back up and drive home sweaty and dirty. With the cx on the other hand, since it's basically a road bike, I just bring it down the stairs to the sidewalk, jump on it and go. I don't have any gravel roads or trails handy, but just being out on the bike is fun.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

TXTony
    Yeah and since getting a 29er I keep finding myself wanting to put drop bars on it and ditch the front fork for a rigid fork..

Human Test Subject
    It was my go to bike till I bought my Moonlander.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    I REALLY want one of those! Looked at a Krampus the other day that was really cool too. I just have a hard time seeing what makes them worth the almost 2k they want for them.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

bi-winning
    Nah, these days I think I ride my MTB a little bit more than my CX. I'm still very happy to have my CX bike though for when the MTB trails are too muddy, or when I just want to ride without driving anywhere.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    It is my go to bike when not riding trails. Although I do ride my cross bikes on trails sometimes as well. I started riding road and then got into mountain bikes about 3 years ago. I didn't even know what cross was until 2.5 years ago when I had friends that were racing. So I bought a used cx bike and raced for a season. Now I have 2 geared cx'ers and SSCX. I sold the road bike and just change wheelsets.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    My CX bike is my road bike, so it gets more miles than either my MTB or my dedicated commuter since I also use my CX bike as a fair weather commuter and also for occasional light trail riding in addition actual cross races and training.
    2009 Redline Conquest Pro, 2008 Trek Fuel Ex8
    2007 Kona Cinder Cone utility bike
    Yes I spent too much on bikes.

TXTony
    Picture!

mtbr member
    Half and half with my Ridley and Mukluk. Ridley is faster but Muk is full of fat bike fun.

mtbr member
    Probably half and half for me as well. I enjoy the cx for being able to ride all sorts of stuff right out of my garage, but my true love is still my ss mtn bike.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Wanted a cross bike. Tore down my road bike and built up a cross frame with most of the parts. Now my cross bike is my cross bike and my road bike. Couldn't be happier.

mtbr member
    Therapy, my CX bike is my counseling. Where I live there is 130+ km of mixed-surface riding withing a 20 km radius. Everything from rail trail, old access road, farm lanes, singletrack, double track, crushed paths through conservation areas. That doesn't include dirt roads. The singletrack is fun, but unfortunately only comes in small sections connected by the other types of trails. Plus the singletrack is mostly clay based, hard packed and CX friendly. So while an MTB is fun around here, a CX bike rules the roost.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    My mountain bike still gets as much use as ever (I have a world class trail system about 2-3 miles from my house), but the cross bike has certainly pushed the road bike aside. Lots of dirt roads where I live, so the cross bike quadruples the the riding I can do compared to the road bike. Plus, it is a lot more fun riding dirt roads than paved ones.

TXTony
    Quote Originally Posted by D0rk View Post
    Wanted a cross bike. Tore down my road bike and built up a cross frame with most of the parts. Now my cross bike is my cross bike and my road bike. Couldn't be happier.
    Dig that...

mtbr member
    First post and very similar to D0rk. Long time roadie now with no road bike and only a CX.

Human Test Subject
    Quote Originally Posted by TXTony View Post
    Picture!
    Bike specs with pics

doing this from my phone so i hope it works

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    I REALLY want one of those! Looked at a Krampus the other day that was really cool too. I just have a hard time seeing what makes them worth the almost 2k they want for them.
    sorry to hijack, but I have a Krampus and I can tell you it is the most fun I have had on a bike. It begs to be ridden fast and thrown into corners.

now I also use my 'cross bike as my primary ride all the time. I commute, do fast road rides, race cyclocross, do gravel rides and do some mountain biking. Although I do not do much mountain biking anymore.

TXTony
    Bike specs with pics

doing this from my phone so i hope it works
    Dude that is a tight rig

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clydeone View Post
    sorry to hijack, but I have a Krampus and I can tell you it is the most fun I have had on a bike. It begs to be ridden fast and thrown into corners.
    I'm sure it's a sh!tload of fun, but it's sure spendy! $1,950 for a rigid bike with mid-level components .... it's like paying a grand just for the wheels and big tires (at least IMO).

That's cool you have one though...I can't say I'm not a little jealous.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

\m/ \m/
    I just did the dirt fondo race ( Dirt Fondo : Fire Road Cycling ) on my cross bike. I commute to work on my cross bike and my training rides are a mix of road, dirt roads and trail rides.

I currently have mllly MTB for sale so I can buy the new Niner ROS 9 or a Moots Mooto X RSL frame. I'm also thinking about selling my road bike to pick up one of the new 2014 Cruxs ( Specialized CruX Cyclocross Bike Line-up 2014 - BikeRadar )
    13' Lynskey M290
    13' Venge Pro Force
    13' Crux Elite
    12' Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    I'm sure it's a sh!tload of fun, but it's sure spendy! $1,950 for a rigid bike with mid-level components .... it's like paying a grand just for the wheels and big tires (at least IMO).

That's cool you have one though...I can't say I'm not a little jealous.
    Yep I built mine from a frameset. And it was close to a grand for the frameset + rims + tires. Mine is primarily SLX except brakes which are XT hydros. I probably wound up under 2k with some smart shopping.

TXTony
    Quote Originally Posted by clydeone View Post
    Yep I built mine from a frameset. And it was close to a grand for the frameset + rims + tires. Mine is primarily SLX except brakes which are XT hydros. I probably wound up under 2k with some smart shopping.
    Thats a nice build...I toyed around with the idea of getting one just for the fun factor but thing I am gonna build a drop bar 29er with a rigid fork...or may build up a WFO..

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    No way! Drop bar bikes are okay but never win my soul.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    All last season it was my G.T.B. for trail riding and on the road. I rode my MTB maybe 10 times or less. Its been pretty much the same so far this season, but in the last month or so I have been doing more MTB rides. Enough rides in fact that when I got the chance to get a new 29" MTB I jumped on it. Now I doubt my cross bike will see dirt until the end of September when the racing starts. Its still my road bike.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast