Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Nice thread. I've been riding my cross bike more lately as I just moved to the Seattle area from SoCal. There's a lot of great mountain biking destinations in Western Washington but it's all load up and drive, but there isn't any decent out driveway stuff like I was used to in California. There are a couple of state parks nearby with 'ok' trails but they are pretty tame and you start to feel like a dog chasing it's tail going round and round trying to rack up miles and climbing.

For rides during the week and when I only get an hour or two on Saturday mornings, my cross bike has been my go to and I've been putting together nice multi-surface loops out of the driveway. I'm getting my "fix" of around 20 miles and 2000 feet of climbing this way. I'm currently riding a 2005-ish Redline Conquest Pro. It's alu. with a carbon fork.

I'm doing more and more road rides with it and I'm leaning towards getting a more race oriented, current gen. cross bike like a Ridley and an extra set of wheels so I can run slicks. I don't want to go full roadie and get a road bike as I prefer to have a cross bike and keep the mindset of always looking for new connectors (old railroad beds, powerline roads, foo-foo IMBAified trails) to use as connections. I love being able to do a nice road climb on a quiet street and then instead of having to take a busy road to get to the next climb or side road I can jump on a greenbelt path or powerline road. That's what's great about the cross bike. However, I'd like a little more racer/compact/modern frame as I do want to get a set of road wheels for the random road ride with folks from work. Any advice appreciated. I'm leaning towards an Alu. Ridley with carbon fork. Prefer to stick with V brakes.

TXTony
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyc View Post
    Nice thread. I've been riding my cross bike more lately as I just moved to the Seattle area from SoCal. There's a lot of great mountain biking destinations in Western Washington but it's all load up and drive, but there isn't any decent out driveway stuff like I was used to in California. There are a couple of state parks nearby with 'ok' trails but they are pretty tame and you start to feel like a dog chasing it's tail going round and round trying to rack up miles and climbing.

For rides during the week and when I only get an hour or two on Saturday mornings, my cross bike has been my go to and I've been putting together nice multi-surface loops out of the driveway. I'm getting my "fix" of around 20 miles and 2000 feet of climbing this way. I'm currently riding a 2005-ish Redline Conquest Pro. It's alu. with a carbon fork.

I'm doing more and more road rides with it and I'm leaning towards getting a more race oriented, current gen. cross bike like a Ridley and an extra set of wheels so I can run slicks. I don't want to go full roadie and get a road bike as I prefer to have a cross bike and keep the mindset of always looking for new connectors (old railroad beds, powerline roads, foo-foo IMBAified trails) to use as connections. I love being able to do a nice road climb on a quiet street and then instead of having to take a busy road to get to the next climb or side road I can jump on a greenbelt path or powerline road. That's what's great about the cross bike. However, I'd like a little more racer/compact/modern frame as I do want to get a set of road wheels for the random road ride with folks from work. Any advice appreciated. I'm leaning towards an Alu. Ridley with carbon fork. Prefer to stick with V brakes.
    I was in a similiar situation when I realized I was using my cross bike for pretty much 90 per cent of my riding. I ended up getting a Cannondale Super X. With road wheels and tires it will scoot along pretty good. I went from an aluminum cross bike to a carbon. Got a good deal on it on close out. I to have stuck with rim brakes so far as they have met my needs to this point. Kind of like you I find myself doing 30-40 mile loops with varied terrain.

After getting the Cannondale I decided to use the parts from my aluminum rig and build another bike. Ended up building up a Surly Cross Check. I have to say I really like the way the bike feels. Have not really put it through anything hard yet. In road mode with skinny tires it holds it own. Gonna through some bigger tires on it and some gravel rides and see how it does. Not the lightest bike around but the more I ride it the more I am liking it. It is kind of nice having a bike that allows so many options in set up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My Cross Check is ABSOLUTELY my go-to bike since I got it. Its fast. Its zippy. I can ride just about anywhere with comfort and speed with 32mm Paselas. I don't care that its a little heavier than a normal "road" bike - its light enough for me. Like all the rest of you stuck in surburbia, I'm not fortunate enough have singletrack out my backdoor. If I've only got time for a quick ride, I grab the Check and go. The LHT is my choice for heavy loads or kid-hauling, but I could set up the Check to handle that too, if I wanted or needed. Ditto singletrack - a quick tire change and I'm tearing it up. Don't think I could lavish enough praise on this bike.

Yes, this is a fun thread. The CX forum must have mellowed out in recent times. Folks in here used to get pretty grumpy with you if you weren't posting strictly about racing. Glad to see that changed.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I ride my road bike on the roads, my cross bike on gravel and my mtb on singletrack. I split it up pretty even but always choose the right bike for the type of riding I do.
    Are you a road biker that likes hills? Try this Michigan Mountain Mayhem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2