Robtre

XC rider looking for CX bike advice

Friends of MTBR,

Every year I get a new bike allowance and this year I want to build/buy a CX bike. I want steel frame, and I want SS and there is no chance of talking me out of it. I have had road bikes and I do not like riding on the road. I have been lurking your threads and I have many questions mostly pertaining to tech aspects of a build. All things relevant what crank arm length? Rim brakes or disc? Carbon fork or steel? I am a big guy 6'5 225lbs. A couple complete bikes I have found and like are as follows:

Civilian- Le Roi Le Vuet
    Raleigh Furley

kinda not related but really really like mostly because of my MTB roots Redline Urbis. Yes I know its fixed gear.

Otherwise Surly Crosscheck build. I attended a couple CX races locally and I really want to get in the game. Please give me worldly advice!!!
    The secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle, Conan. You must learn its discipline.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Ok I will try! I dont race cross unless you count a couple endurace races on cross bike, but I spend a lot of time on my cross bike, riding gravel roads, rougher rail trail, and even some smoother singletrack. So take all this for what it is worth. Also I am only 5'8 with shorter legs longer torso.

Crack Arm Length - When I got my cross bike I knew I was going to change the crank, had always ran 172.5 on road bike so was looking for the length crank, had been using a 170 MTB crank on my SS though and liked so figured why not try it for croiss bike if I found a good deal, I did and so far so good. Short of the point is for cross Bike I have been ok with a lightly shorter crank, I have heard a lot of guys say for racing they use longer, I have no doubt I could race a short cross race and be ifne.

Rim or Disc: Personal preference I guess, I ended up with TRP CX8.4 V brakes great stopping ppwer right up there with BB7s on my SS mtn bike, not hydro power but good. I think technology for the discs is there though so why not if you are looking Steel the extra weight wont matter IMO.

Carbon or Steel Fork: Again personal preference, I like carbon fork on a steel frame which I have on a mtn bike but I also like the front end light for my cross bikes helps get it up and over obstacles with ease since there is not as mych leverage as a mtn bike with wide flat bar.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have a Civilian Ludite SS and love it. I am also in the market for a cross bike(geared though). I crossed the Civilian off my list because it does not have mounts for fenders/ racks. I would like a bike with those so I could use it for commuting and possible self supported longer rides.

I looked hard at the Furley but in the end want gears. The Ropper, Kona Rove and Salsa Vaya are all in the running for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Go Raleigh Roper, this way you have a 105 group if you want to ride over longer distance. Plus, this way you can pick your SS wheelset, crank arm length and other pieces. I have a Furley and love it but if I had to do it again I would do Roper and build from there. You can get a good chunk of coin for 105 groupo.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have a Civilian Le Roi Le Veut and it's been a great bike considering the price. I'm a mountain biker a heart and I hate road riding, so I've been riding it during the winter on dirt/gravel/back roads and some light single track. I have a set of tubeless Stans Crest wheels that I put on it which brought the weight down to around 21 lbs. If nothing else, it's a great looking bike! I'm definitely partial to CX bikes with a non-sloping top tube.

jrm
    mtbr member

All City

Nature Boys are nice. 175mm if your 6'5", Carbon and Disc Brakes.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys