mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Winter "beater" turned favorite bike, needs a little love.

I have a GT Karakoram (3.0) that I picked up last year to run my dog through the winter. Something about it is really satisfying, the geometry is really nice and my back hurts less when riding it for long(er) distances. My friend rides long distances and has invited me to join in, which I am excited to do but I don't really want to buy a road bike if I can make some adjustments to this bike that I know and personalize it to my liking. I am interested in possibly replacing the crankset with a claris 30x39x50. I am 220 and 37 years old in decent shape so I am not super concerned with weight, but I really like the thought of 50+, I know claris is low end is there a better option? I am open to buying used.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I think when modifying a bike unless cost is no object then getting the most bang for your buck is advisable. Lots of people will tell you to get a different bike, but if you like yours and your not racing nothing wrong with using what you have. Before I did anything else I would look at tires, big heavy lugged knobbies are slow on the road, either get some slicks or a faster rolling gravel type tire, thats not a huge expense. Then maybe look at your rear cassette, 11-32 is a nice spread and shouldn't cost much[ that might be the cassette you have now. I assume your saddle is ok since you said the bike is comfortable. Adding old school bar ends will give you more hand positions and a cost a minimal amount. With your current mtb crank whether its a 2x or 3x your gearing should be low enough, and you could look into increasing the size of the big ring, although top speed at the end of your first 50 miler might not be your highest concern.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Yes, exactly. I just want to tune the one I have and like, I like the way it looks as much as the 2-3k ones. I am going to buy Schwalbe Marathon Racing wheels 700cx40mm, and the 11-32 I have will get the job done, I do have to change out the crankset it's bent and want to get a 30-39-50. I have a few other bikes that I've been tweaking a cruiser and vintage road bike but I enjoy riding this one the most. One step at a time but I enjoy the process.

jrm
    mtbr member
    if you are considering changing cranksets make sure the claris crankset will clear the chainstays and that a FD will work with it. Also the difference in chainline with the claris crank might impact shifting..

I ride with a guy that for while that did long distance rides with us on a REI MTB before buying a dedicated road bike. One other note..chance are that you could obtain that comfortable fit with a hybrid as well.