mtbr member
    May 2011

Will a 52 be too small?

I am looking at a used crux frame that is size 52. This is just the frame so I am not able to see what it looks like and how it feels all built. I am 5'11" 255 looking to get into racing next year. I currently ride a Specialized Allez 54 if that matters much. Please let me know your input. thanks.
    '14 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc 29
    '14 Trek Skye (Wife)
    '12 Specialized Crux Skittles
    '13 Specialized Allez Compact

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Sizing bikes for someone over the internet is a difficult thing to do. But in a very general sense someone your height would want a 56cm frame. And you need to size by the top tube length, but generally the top tube is the same length as the seat tube on road and cyclocross bikes. If you are unsure what you need, one of the best tools you can use without getting fitted at a shop is the competitive cyclist fit calculator. It takes some time to take all the measurements, but it is definitely worth doing.

Bike Fit Calculator | Find Your Bike Size | Competitive Cyclist
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    I absolutely agree with ljsmith. A 52 will be too small and the 56 should be about right. There are a few options if you are looking for a frame with a little more standover height. For instance, the Surly Crosschecks have a 2cm longer top tube than the seat tube. However, you should look at the rest of the geo numbers and take some test rides. I am 5'11 and around 220. I have a 52cm Crosscheck I'm building, mostly cause I can, but it is too small for me and will be given to a family member or sold when I'm done.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    It might work if it's a compact geometry frame but if it's sized traditionally, it's too small.

mtbr member
    Another thread with similar question:

Cyclocross sizing

I'm shorter than you are and I run bigger CX bikes than 52cm.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    May 2013

Re: Will a 52 be too small?

I'm 5'-11 and ride a 54. A 56 would be too big for me, and sometimes I wonder if a shorter top tube would be better. Overall I'm happy with a 54 though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I am guessing a 52 will be too small. I am right at 6' with disproportionately long legs. I fit a 54 to tube best. Of choose, fit is always somewhat subjective. Depending on drop, what stem length feels right to you, etc, two people with the same exact dimensions may be correctly fitted to different sized bikes. Does your current road bike fit you well? If so, try to match that fit with your cross bike.

Sent from a one-finger keyboard...pardon my autocorrect

mtbr member

Will a 52 be too small?

There's comfort, fit, and personal preference, not to mention that each bike/frame is a bit different. Also, what are you using it for? Straight up cross racing, gravel rides, mixed terrain rides?

I'm 6' and ride a 56cm (lemond).

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Based on the original post stating that the current road ride is a 54cm Specialized I would say the 52cm Specialized would probably be fine. I definitely wouldn't go with a larger cyclocross bike.

I'm 6-1, and ride anywhere between a 56-60cm road bike depending on manucafturer and rode a 53x53 cyclocross bike for 12 years until the frame recently cracked.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I find I use less drop and the same reach for my bike when it's in 'cross trim, as opposed to set up for road riding. So I wouldn't recommend downsizing for 'cross to someone riding his correct road frame size. Compare the reaches, since different geometries sometimes monkey with this stuff.

Do you have enough parts for a build kicking around? It's probably a wash (or more expensive, even) to build a bare, used frame as opposed to buying a complete bike.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    When I crossed the common logic was to race a size down. At 6'1" I ran a 56 and always felt it was small during the speed sections and didn't really see any advantage in the barriers or mount/dismount. I probably would have been more comfortable on a 58 (and maybe with 180mm cranks) but that's really dependent on a lot of factors. On a road bike I'd just change the stem/bar and go with 175mm. Cockpit size isn't as important because I don't move around the bike as much. A 52 may use a 170mm crankset and replacing that with a longer crank arm and changing stems may set you up for success or just add expense to a frame that's too small. I'd test ride and decide (making sure to mount, dismount, stand on the climb, hop.....)