mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Wide (wider) range CX1 groupo

Hi, I'm building a new bike and I'd love to fit SRAM's new CX1 groupo but I have one concern - Gearing. My current budget CX bike is a 1x8 with a 1-1 low gear ratio (34 front, 34 back)...Very low for most people but it suits me and the local terrain perfectly, even slightly lower would be great as a 'bail out gear'.

The trouble is that the CX1 groupo's lowest ratio cassette is 11-32. An 11-36 good and an 11-40 would be absolutely perfect, giving me the range I want and the opportunity to run a bigger front ring...My question is, is it possible with this groupo?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogdog View Post
    Hi, I'm building a new bike and I'd love to fit SRAM's new CX1 groupo but I have one concern - Gearing. My current budget CX bike is a 1x8 with a 1-1 low gear ratio (34 front, 34 back)...Very low for most people but it suits me and the local terrain perfectly, even slightly lower would be great as a 'bail out gear'.

The trouble is that the CX1 groupo's lowest ratio cassette is 11-32. An 11-36 good and an 11-40 would be absolutely perfect, giving me the range I want and the opportunity to run a bigger front ring...My question is, is it possible with this groupo?
    i think you'd need to switch to the x1 for the rear derailleur and cassette.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    It would be great if I could, are the pull ratios the same?

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Does the CX1 11spd cassette require special rear hubs like the mtb xx1 cassette?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The XO1 and XX1 derailleurs are not compatible with the SRAM road levers.

If you want that kind of rear range, your best best would be SRAM 10 spd shifters, SRAM 10 Speed Type 2 mountain derailleur and either an 11-36 cassette or an 11-36 cassette with a 40T add on from someone like Wolftooth. Add a wide narrow front chainring and you should have what you are looking for.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by uclamatt2007 View Post
    The XO1 and XX1 derailleurs are not compatible with the SRAM road levers.

If you want that kind of rear range, your best best would be SRAM 10 spd shifters, SRAM 10 Speed Type 2 mountain derailleur and either an 11-36 cassette or an 11-36 cassette with a 40T add on from someone like Wolftooth. Add a wide narrow front chainring and you should have what you are looking for.
    That's not what he's asking- he's asking if the new CX1 groupset requires the same XD hub as SRAM's XXI and XXO MTB groupsets.

According to Bike Rumor, it does NOT require the special hub;
    Race More with Less with New SRAM Force CX1 Cyclocross Group (UPDATED)
    "There isnít a specific CX1 cassette or chain, as the system is designed to work with the current Force components. That means no need for an XD driver, but also that the system wonít have quite the wide range as XX1."

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RRRoubaix View Post
    That's not what he's asking- he's asking if the new CX1 groupset requires the same XD hub as SRAM's XXI and XXO MTB groupsets.
    It wasn't what paleh)rse was asking, but it is what the OP was asking.

that guy
    Jun 2011

Re: Wide (wider) range CX1 groupo

Quote Originally Posted by RRRoubaix View Post

According to Bike Rumor, it does NOT require the special hub;
    Race More with Less with New SRAM Force CX1 Cyclocross Group (UPDATED)
    "There isnít a specific CX1 cassette or chain, as the system is designed to work with the current Force components. That means no need for an XD driver, but also that the system wonít have quite the wide range as XX1."
    It looks like he was answering the OP, but thank you very much for that great info! That certainly makes it much easier for everyone to upgrade to this group if they want to. Excellent.

A friend of mine did have one concern, though: he suspects they may have an even better Red-level cx group in store for next year. It will be interesting to see if that's true, and also interesting to see just how much weight they can shed from the current cx1. (As it stands, I think the BSA cx1 is currently ~60g heavier than the mtb xx1). For that reason, my friend opted to use the mtb xx1 with a 10 speed cassette on his cx bike. (156 q factor).

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for your input people, perhaps I should clarify what I'm after. It has to be a 1x11 with as wide a range as possible and it has to have hydraulic brakes. The closest I've seen so far is (as uclamatt2007 says) is a mixed SRAM set up with 11-36 but that's 1x10 with mechanical brakes.

The other option I'm looking at is the new 11-40 XTR cassette and derailleur in combination with ST-RS685 105 hydraulic levers but again, I don't know if they're compatible.