mtbr member

Wide Profile Rims

Let's talk rims shall we?

Wide rims are the new in thing (coupled with tubeless of course). 23mm seems a great size for me as I can go super skinny if I wanted to, but still throw on 45mm touring/off road tires if I want to (currently my 18mm tires don't seem capable of 45!)

That being said here are a few I've come across and what I think of them, without ever having ridden them.

H Plus Son TB 14

MASH STOREROOM | H Plus Son TB14 rim

What I like:
    - The look, with a vintage box rim style they'd probably match a tan sidewalled tire really well.
    - The price, coming in at 80 a pop, they are about 20 dollar cheaper than the other two options I've been exploring.

What concerns me:
    - Brand. I've never heard of this brand of rim, so I do have some concerns about how it performs.

Velocity A23

Velocity Wheels

What I like: Branding; Velocity is known for quality across realms, from road rims to polo rims to mountain bike rims. I like it.
    Silly, but colors! Many color options!

Concerns: Not many, but I do prefer the box rim style of the other two options. These are also the heaviest options.
    These are also the only pinned option as the other two are welded, but I'm not really sure what that means if someone can explain I'd appreciate it.

Pacenti PL23

Box Dog Bikes - Rim: Pacenti: PL23 Machined

What I like:
    - Great looking classic rim.

Concerns:
    Again not many, except for the fact that Pacenti is hard to find reviews or interest in online (an elusive brand it seems).

So what are your thoughts on these rims? Any other wide profile 700c rims? (I'd actually be into going as wide as 28, because if I never had to go lower than 28, that's not a big deal for me).

Thanks!

mtbr member
    My Karate Monkey & former Salsa Casseroll both had Salsa DelGado Cross rims, 700c x 22.5 stock and I like them. Allow you to go pretty skinny yet also support fat(the KM has 2.5" tires on it!) Nice and strong, but they also aren't lightweights either.
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Pinned vrs Welded

Pinned is where the joint of the rim (opposite the valve hole) is held together. The rim extrusion has hollow channels that pins are fitted into and the round rim is connected together. When the wheel is laced up the spoke tension pulls the rim towards the centre of the wheel and the pinned joint is tightened.

The welded joint is simply that - welded. Welded joints get a further machining after welding to align the brake face. This usually accounts for the extra cost of the rim.

In practice, the welded rims should have a stronger joint, but pinned rims have performed well in service, the better ones you won't even notice a difference, cheaper ones can catch the brake pad a little every revolution of the wheel under braking. If you're using disc's, this will not matter.

The modern profiles of the Velocity being in the Aero profile are stiffer due to the triangulated upper edge. The box profile will offer a minute amount of bump absorbsion as it is less 're-inforced'. The box section is less prone to side wind diflection if you have that problem where you live. And there is that nice classic look.

Eric
    If I don't make an attempt, how will I know if it will work?