mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Who is running tubeless OR tubulars for CX?

I am going to be upgrading CX wheels. Curious to see who is running tubulars OR tubeless and the results with tubeless, along with rider weight and tire pressure.

I presently run clinchers on Mavic Ksyrium wheels @ 35 psi with no problems (4 races, using either Sammy Slicks or Clement PDX). I weigh 147 lbs

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Tubeless with velocity a23 rims, clement PDx tires, 34/36 psi, and I weigh 177lbs. I stayed away from tubulars as I want nothing to do with the gluing process, but others are fine with it. Im certainly no expert on tubular,so i cannot give much feedback there. I run tubeless too on all my mtb's, so I'm comfortable running tubeless. There is a thread somewhere else in this forum on the tubeless/tubular debate. Run a search. They are both better than running tubes though, if done correctly.

mtbr member
    The A23 rim is a great choice for a tubeless CX wheel. New model just requires tape, older model needs a rimstrip to work well. I've got 3 sets of them, 1 on my fixie, one for my road bike, and up until this week 1 on my CX bike. I picked up a disc-equipped bike, so I'm using my Arch EX wheels at the moment. Hutchinson bulldog tires (the original ones, not the carbon-beaded ones) work great on those rims.

mtbr member
    I'm running tubulars on carbon wheels. Our courses are pretty rough, so flats happen every race. I end up being conservative, and running quite a bit of pressure. I'm only 120, and usually run low 30's. I still feel the rim hit almost every race. I just dont want to flat though!

mtbr member
    I'm 147 pounds also.

I run two sets of race wheels:

Stans Arch with clement LAS' at 26/28 psi

Carbon tubulars with clement MXP's at 24/26 psi

Outlaw
    I picked up a set of tubulars on the really cheap at the beginning of the season. I was amazed at how I could run the pressure low and rail corners. I smashed them a few times thinking, ah crap, that's gonna go flat. They never have... ...yet.

I haven't had the chance to run tubeless but I would like to try it for cross. I've run tubeless on the MTB since 2000. Best money I'd spent at the time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    165#

Dura Ace c24 tubulars - Clement MXP

22/24

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    155#...ROL 38CX carbon tubulars...Challenge Grifo...still playing with pressures, but been running around 28/30.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Awesome feed back! Thanks! I also run tubeless on my MTB (stan crest rims, db spokes, alum nips, hope hubs, Bontrager 29-1's or 0's with 26r/23f)

I should have asked (I am just learning this CX stuff) but spoke counts in wheels, brass nips, straight butted spokes?

I presently run clinchers on Mavic Ksyrium wheels @ 35 psi with no problems (4 races, using either Sammy Slicks or Clement PDX). I weigh 147 lbs

thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RPG View Post
    Tubeless with velocity a23 rims, clement PDx tires, 34/36 psi, and I weigh 177lbs. I stayed away from tubulars as I want nothing to do with the gluing process, but others are fine with it. Im certainly no expert on tubular,so i cannot give much feedback there. I run tubeless too on all my mtb's, so I'm comfortable running tubeless. There is a thread somewhere else in this forum on the tubeless/tubular debate. Run a search. They are both better than running tubes though, if done correctly.
    I take it your tubeless set-up has been reliable? No burping?

mtbr member
    160# running a tubeless ready setup manufactured by DTSwiss for Giant bicycles. Also running Schwable tubeless ready tires. They came on the Giant CX bike.

Last race had a ton of flats due to thorns, I had no problem. Unfortunately I don't see that DT Swiss sells a similar wheelset.

Two of my friends had to pull out of race this weekend. One due to a rolled tubular, and the other had BOTH of his Ghetto tubeless wheels flat.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    my husband and I are both ~145# running the Roval carbon tubulars that came with our Crux Pros.

We run 27-29 psi on the Specialized Terra tubulars (similar tread pattern to the MXP) and have had no troubles with them whatsoever. I saw a number of rolled tires due to hard, bumpy, off-camber and steep (high torque) conditions out at yesterday's Boulder Cup race. We had the shop pro wrench glue ours up and so far we've had no trouble. They held like velcro on the bumpy, loose, slippery grass/dirt and it was super sketchy out there. Held nicely for the wet and frosty / slightly muddy conditions at 8AM for my race, and also for the dry / loose / sandy conditions that evolved at noon for my husband.

mtbr member
    160#- running Carbon Roval Control wheels tubeless with the terra pro tire. PSI in the low 30's, burped each wheel once racing and finished both races on the tires in the mid teens. no problems since. The courses here are REALLY rough, lots of square edge roots and rocks to hit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Stans Iron Cross tubeless with Michelin Mud 2 tires.

I'm 135lb and run my tires at 30lb pressure. A friend (lighter than me) had lots of burping problems with the Alphas and various tires when she tried to run in the 20s, so I set mine at 30lb.

The only problem I had is when I slashed the sidewall on a rocky descent - I would have been SOL with tubulars, but was able to throw in a tube and was good (until I pinched the tube - then I threw in another tube and was good for the rest of the day - the course was really rocky). Getting the tires to seat without a compressor was a challenge - I was successful with one, but had to go to the gas station with the other.

I've talked to some riders who say tubeless with Stans is the only way to go. I've talked to others who say tubular is the only way to go (they like to be able to run at 22lb).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Re View Post
    I picked up a set of tubulars on the really cheap at the beginning of the season. I was amazed at how I could run the pressure low and rail corners. I smashed them a few times thinking, ah crap, that's gonna go flat. They never have... ...yet.
    This past Sunday, I let air out of my tires during warm up. I dont know exactly how much I was running, but I started at 35psi. I let air out until I was feeling one or both rims on every lap. I raced like that, for 5 laps, no flats! I dont know if letting air out really helped any or not, but, its helping my confidence in the tubulars. I'm hoping this will pay off when it gets sloppy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Sold ALL my tubies and running ONLY Stan's rims (380 and Crest 29er) on my geared and SS...will...never...go...back to tubular wheels.

ETA: 190 pounds...I run 25 front and rear...NO burps. Specialized Captain, Terra and Vittoria tubeless tires with real Stan's sealant on Stan's rims.
    Last edited by hunttofu; 10-22-2013 at 12:16 AM. Reason: ETA

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I just bought a used wheelset stan's alpha 340's w/ dt swiss 240 hubs.

Previous owner had no problems last year with mud 2's. Seller is switched to disc brake cx bike so changed to iron cross wheels.

He said mud 2 blew off iron cross rim, he said he thought this was due to iron cross rim being wider. NOTE: muds are listed as 30 width while tire like captains are 34's

Him and his buds having no problem w/specialized captains on iron cross rims. He weighs 175 and ran 30r/28f

Captains were not readily available in my area, so i ordered up a pair of mud 2's

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    been racing on tubelss/tubes for 4 years and have multiple scars to show for tires burping off rims and going down in our dry hardpack and gopher invested courses. Pressure 28+ front, 30+ rear, any less and bam, down I go. Stans Alpha 340s and by the time I do the recomended 50 million wraps of tape, then the rubber rim strip, weight advantage is gone and it is a pain in the ass to mount. I deal with tubeless a LOT on mtb and this is nothing short of stupid. Not as bad as tubulars, but not like mtb ease by a long shot. This season I put together 'race' wheels for my wife and I, ENVE 25 carbon tubular rims and American Classic hubs, hers are 1050grams!. I went heavier with spokes and crossing for more rigidity. I watched the videos all over the internet and glued them up, NOT a big deal. Tedious and requiring patience for sure, but over a few days put the layers of glue on rims and Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron tubulars. Putting them on straight was the most stressful, but I did rears first so I did not have to see them wobble on my learning pieces. They ride SO much better, not a little bit, not kinda like tubeless, not even freakin close to tubeless. Superior, sublime etc. I cannot believe how great they 'feel'. I bonk the rims with 28-29 front and rear and have gotten confident about not flatting. I can feel them flexing way over in hard turns and they are way way more traction, I am sure part of this is the grip of the Racing Ralph, but the Mud2 are great on grass as well, but I would rip a Mud2 off the rim every so often creating fear. If you want to play with different tread patterns Tubeless is the way to go. If you want the ultimate in performance, today, that is tubulars. Wish I would have known years ago.

DT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fakie1999 View Post
    I'm running tubulars on carbon wheels. I'm only 120, and usually run low 30's. I still feel the rim hit almost every race.
    Not sure why but the math just does not add up. At that weight I would think you could easily run 27-28 psi and fly so you should really cross check the gauge on your pump as last season I weighed in at ~175 and ran carbon wheels with FMB tubulars which I aired up with a Craftsman cordless inflator typically 27-29 psi and rarely felt the rim!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ms6073 View Post
    Not sure why but the math just does not add up. At that weight I would think you could easily run 27-28 psi and fly so you should really cross check the gauge on your pump as last season I weighed in at ~175 and ran carbon wheels with FMB tubulars which I aired up with a Craftsman cordless inflator typically 27-29 psi and rarely felt the rim!
    I also use the craftsman cordless pump. Our courses typically have lots of tree roots, and are pretty mountain bike friendly. I was in the high 20's saturday and sunday, and was feeling both rims almost every lap, at both venues.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

tire update

Several races on tubulars now this season and all I can say is WOW, there is NO comparison in ride quality and traction to tubeless. I can run a solid 5 or less PSI with tubulars, bounce the rim a few times per lap and have a better ride and more traction and NO BURPING! This is not just a 'this year/last year' comparo as my wife and I both have Stans 340 rims on American Classic hubs for training and if there are any rumors of goat head thorns in the area our initial course inspection is always on tubeless. I can hardly wait to swap wheels to the race set up, the quality feel is just NOT there. If you are at all in a position to get CX race wheels there IS a reason the pros run tubulars, they rule. There are rumors in the industry of companies seriously working on CX tubeless, not this half baked rim/tire sketch we have now, but more tire makers really making beads for tubeless road rims (CX) and maybe, just maybe they will also get the casing to ride somewhat close to the feel of a tooby, but that might be next year and this year I can honestly say, get some tubular wheels and feel the difference. Every week I am doing a rain dance just hoping for some slime and slop to feel what is possible with low 20's psi grip in the mud.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    On tire pressure - I got a topeak digital gauge and it was reading 5-6 lbs less then pump gauge I was using. I checked topeak gauge to mechanical stick gauge's on car tire's and it was right on with stick gauges.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I am using a digital as well, even ride part of lap with it to compare feel on course to pressure in gauge, as I will start high and drop down as low as possible.
    There has been a 4psi range from fastest course to bumpiest course so far this year, I think only mud can take it below the pressure I was using last weekend. Bottom line..... tubulars are way better. I heard someone say that getting used aluminum rims and mounting tubulars on them would be better than any new rim with clinchers, whoever said that was right! I saw tubular wheels and rims all over the internet/ebay and would gladly put old Mavic road wheels on now that I know...