Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Who here has ridden metric or longer on their 'cross bike?

Ladies and gents, after a little spill and a couple weeks off my bike, my knee is healing, and the Chuckanut Century is coming up. I'm going to ride the metric century portion, and am super excited! As you've undoubtedly guessed, I'm a fairly new rider, not in the best of shape, but I can solo a 20-miler for funzies after a full day of work with no rest stops, food, and minimal hydration (whoops!), so I figure a supported, long ride, with rest stops, will be manageable in 3 weeks. Has anyone else done a metric, century, or longer rides on their cross bike?

Fat-tired Roadie
    Funny, I'm kicking around doing that ride too.

While I've done my previous centuries on a road bike, I finally gave up on that bike - it was too big - and would be doing it on my 'cross bike too.

Frankly, I don't see what difference it makes.

I put road slicks on my 'cross bike several months ago, and dialed in the cockpit for road riding at about the same time. It's now more comfortable than the road bike ever was, and I can't say I've seen any noticeable loss in efficiency.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member

I have ridden 80 miles on my cross bike. If the bike fits, should be no problem. I ride mostly gravel, but with the right tires, it would be fine on the road.

Fat & Single
    Monday this week I just done my biggest ride on my new CX bike of 201km with 2500m of climbing. Ive only owned MTB's before and didn't do much black top riding as it only scrubbed the knobs off. This ride was 50% sealed bike paths, 10% tarmac roads, 35% gravel and 5% singletrack/dirt.

Tyres are 37c 450g Vittoria Randonneur Pro tyres, definitely not light but seem alright.... at least while waiting on new ones coming.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    No road centuries, but the wife and I have done 80+ miles of gravel trails in a steady rain and had a blast. As already stated, if the fit is correct and you have road tires, should be no issues for a supported ride seeing as you got all day to finish.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'll echo everyone else one this. I don't own a road bike, but with some 23c slicks on my crosser, I've done 1000's of road miles over the last few years, including several metric centuries and a few 100 milers.

It's all about the fit and the tires.

Creepy tooth fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikingnerd View Post
    I'll echo everyone else one this. I don't own a road bike, but with some 23c slicks on my crosser, I've done 1000's of road miles over the last few years, including several metric centuries and a few 100 milers.

It's all about the fit and the tires.
    Ditto. My CX bike is my "road" bike. I have done gravel and road centuries on it. I commute on it 2-4 days a week. Last spring, I demoed a number of high end road bikes and none of them felt as stable or comfortable. I can hang with the A++ guys on road rides running 25c slicks (Gatorskins rule!) without any problem. Nowadays I say I will get a real road bike when I grow up. Since I am on the backslide to fifty, that will not likely occur anytime soon.
    the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Like one person said above, if the bike fits, ride it.

I've ridden my cross bike on a 135 mile gravel epic, with 9500 feet of climbing. Done many, many rides in the 70 mile range (on a mix of gravel and road and all road). Doing a 75 mile gravel race with 10,000 feet of climbing in October. No problems at all -- love it.

PTJ
    mtbr member

205 miles at dirty Kanza last year and a few solo gravel centuries on a salsa con crosso. Not the most forgiving bike in terms of flex but it got me through. If your comfortable the bike you choose won't matter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Not quite so long as a few posters, but when I got my CX bike in 2011 hubby and I put in some long rides on them, with a bunch of climbing.

Did 66 miles with about 10,500ft of climbing in So Cal. Climbed a big fire road, traversed a bit, road descent across to another huge fire road climb. It was fun, but the gearing was tough. Not as forgiving as a mountain bike for sure. 26-36 I think with 11-27?

About a month later did a second 66mi CX ride with about 6k climbing. Started out on the road, hit up some trails, came back via road.

Self supported suffer fests

I think you'll be fine if you fuel properly and enjoy the ride. It's still going to make for a long morning/afternoon, but should be fun, too.

Stretch often and early!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I cant tell from your post if you have ever gone farther than 20 miles. If not you should do a 40 -50 mile ride before the metric if possible.
    Epic Flash Boris F65X + road bikes

Bro Mountainbiker
    Rode 75mi sunday. It was supposed to be easy, but I ran into a guy out there and we decided to have a hammer fest. Needless to say, I was dragging the last 5 miles home.

I Plan to ride my CX bike 160 miles to my grandpas, then back the next day one of these days.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Quite a few times. The longest ones have been mixes of gravel and pavement. I rode my cross bike nearly every road ride this winter and spring. Definitely not a problem to do longer rides on one. I wouldn't do a long paved ride with knobby tires though. I have swapped out the mtb spd's for road speedplays for longer rides that were all on road.

mtbr member
    I rode 150k last Sunday on my cross bike up and down the hills of Grismby. The week before I rode 125k with the same hills on my mtn bike with knobbies.

It's not about the bike. You can either ride that distance or you can't.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    2007 Major Jake with a second set of wheels for road riding. Do all my road training, CX, gravel grinders and even triathlons with it. My wife and I did our first Ragbria this past July and the Kona was just fine for the week.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    There's a long-distance trail called the Southdowns Way across the south of England - it's 100miles with 10,000ft of climbing. Climbs aren't too long, but there's plenty of up and down, We usually ride it midsummer each year - I've done it a number of times on CX bikes - we reckon they're a hour or two quicker than MTB - provided you can make it up the hills. Rode it once on singlespeed CX with 34x20 - that was a seriously tough day as almost all climbing was out the saddle. Planning to do the 'double' one day - there and back in 24hrs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    What's the elevation profile look like? I think it highly depends on the climbs--how long, how far, and when. I've been on metric century rides where the last climb was near the end and it kicked my butt (~8k ft climbing with 5k towards the last 10 miles. Peaked at 8800 ft). Other more flat rides, you can knock it out no problem. Just remember to drink and eat (even if you don;t want to) and figure out what works for your digestive system. For me, Shot, gatorade (watered down), PB&J, potatoes, and cookies all work well. Drink and eat! You bonk, you're done.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I did a metric on my husband's cross bike with slick tires. It was fine - it was just like a road bike to me. I plan on using my CX bike as my road bike this winter and leaving my road bike on the trainer.

The only issue is that the gearing is different from my road bike. I have a triple on my road bike, so my gearing is easier on hills. Also, some people (not me because I don't go fast enough) sometimes spin-out on the CX bike because the big ring isn't as big as on a road bike.

mtbr member
    I did a metric on my Ridley. it IS my "road" bike, my other bikes are MTB's. I put 28C slicks on it, they're faster & smoother than the CX tires, though for winter the CX tires are going back on.

It was fine for the metric. I was experiencing back pain on earlier rides, but messing with my setup a bit cured that.

I plan on doing a 75 mile charity ride on it soon.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

Fat-tired Roadie
    OP, did you end up doing the ride?

I did, although with how lovely the weather was looking, I turned back near Ferndale. So I did 95 miles "officially" and since I rode to and from the event, rolled over 100 for the day. Annoyingly, the weather finally got nice on the home stretch back to the start!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I rode across the country on my 2010 Redline Conquest Classic. Changes from stock included wheelset, On-One Midge dirt drops, 11-32 cassette, and a Brooks saddle.

Towed a trailer. Longest day was 120 miles. Couple of centuries mixed in there, with everything from Rail Trail to highway to some (yes) singletrack.

Rolled most of the trip on 700x38 Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    I just completed my first full century last Saturday on my road bike (Siskiyou Century)Giant Defy Advanced, Conti Gatorskins / 25mm .....I have been riding 70 to 100 miles a week this summer on my mountain bike.

Did a couple of 40/50 mile training rides on the road bike prior to the "event" and I was fine.

If you can ride 30-40 miles in a reasonable amount of time you should be just fine!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Many times - last years longest was 140 miles. As many others say I no longer have a road bike. The cross bike ('08 Major Jake) is my commuter, fast road ride, gravel grinder, basically any thing that is not pure mountain biking. I have 3600 miles on it this year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Andrwswitch:
    I did do the ride; I screwed up and took Ferndale Rd instead of Haxton, and took a wrong turn up at Semiahmoo somewhere, so I ended up with a total of 54.5 miles on the day, but it was still the longest I rode. Averaged 14.3 mph, which is outstanding for me. Blew a tube after turning off Rainbow on Mtn View, rolling through all that purple glass in the bike lane. Learned how to change a tube! I bonked at mile 47, rolled into a deli and ate a slice of pizza, which really helped. I need to make sure I'm eating enough when I ride

Fat-tired Roadie
    The first time I did a Century, it took me eleven and a half hours from end to end, and something like seven and a half rolling. Big steps up in distance take some adjustment. Very much including the food thing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast