Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Straz85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,188

    Wheel options for both CX and road tires

    I'm building up a 2014 Kona Jake the Snake frame. It will be used for both CX and road riding. I want to buy two identical wheelsets because right now, I'm swapping wheels on my Crosscheck and I either have to adjust the RD everytime or it shifts terribly with one of the wheelsets.

    My concern is the rim width, I don't want to get anything too wide to run my 25mm road tires on. Price is also a big consideration. I'd love some Stan's wheels, but I can't drop a grand on wheels right now. Any suggestions for something that will work?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,112
    Velocity A23 Comp build. Wide enough for 'cross, not nearly too wide for a 25mm tire, reasonably light, inexpensive, and work super well for tubeless applications.

  3. #3
    jrm
    jrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,139
    Ive used 25c panaracer tservs on my A23s. They work great b/c the wider rim changes the profile of the tire but not to the point that you create any rolling resistance.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,948
    I was debating between A23's and Open Pro's. I went with Open Pro's, but really couldn't see any disadvantage to either. Either rim will be just fine with 23-25 road slicks, but I'd imagine the A23's would be slightly better if you went with bigger tires. But guys run Open Pro's on their MTB's with 2.2" tires, so I'm not a bit worried about it.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,112
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    I was debating between A23's and Open Pro's. I went with Open Pro's, but really couldn't see any disadvantage to either. Either rim will be just fine with 23-25 road slicks, but I'd imagine the A23's would be slightly better if you went with bigger tires. But guys run Open Pro's on their MTB's with 2.2" tires, so I'm not a bit worried about it.
    Just 'cause someone runs a 2.2 mtb tire on a 19mm wide rim means it's a good idea. The whole darn industry is moving to wider rims for virtually every application. Not only is the A23 better for 23mm wide tires than the Open Pro, it'll be even better for a 25mm or 28mm wide tire. On top of it all, the Open Pro is difficult to run tubeless (another thing the industry is embracing full on), the A23 is effortless to run tubeless.

    This is my opinion, granted, but I wouldn't take an Open Pro wheelset, or any other "traditional width" wheelset, even if it was free.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nakedbabytoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    858
    My Salsa Casseroll roadie had the same rims that my Karate Monkey had, Salsa Delgado Cross. One was geared and one was SS. One had 28s on it and the other had 2.3s on it. No issues with either application. No idea on brakes and der issues as they happened to be on 2 different bikes, neither of which I own anymore. So I can't tell you for certain that they are easily swappable on the same bike with different hubs but I don't see why they wouldn't be.
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,948
    Quote Originally Posted by mudge View Post
    Just 'cause someone runs a 2.2 mtb tire on a 19mm wide rim means it's a good idea. The whole darn industry is moving to wider rims for virtually every application. Not only is the A23 better for 23mm wide tires than the Open Pro, it'll be even better for a 25mm or 28mm wide tire. On top of it all, the Open Pro is difficult to run tubeless (another thing the industry is embracing full on), the A23 is effortless to run tubeless.

    This is my opinion, granted, but I wouldn't take an Open Pro wheelset, or any other "traditional width" wheelset, even if it was free.
    Wider is the new trend. I myself currently run P35's so I'm well aware of wider rim benefits. There are obvious drawbacks as well. This was all taken into consideration when I chose my rims. I am very happy with my choice.

    There are plenty that run wide tires on Open pros. Yeah, quirky perhaps. There are also people who run drop bars off road. And on skinny tires none the less. People who stuff 4" tires on a bike and ride over sand and snow. There are people who commute 20 miles to work rather than the convenience of driving. This whole friggin place is full of quirky folks who go against conventional wisdom. So before you go touting what is "better", or what is considered normal, please go look in the mirror next time you head out to ride.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,112
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    Wider is the new trend. I myself currently run P35's so I'm well aware of wider rim benefits. There are obvious drawbacks as well. This was all taken into consideration when I chose my rims. I am very happy with my choice.

    There are plenty that run wide tires on Open pros. Yeah, quirky perhaps. There are also people who run drop bars off road. And on skinny tires none the less. People who stuff 4" tires on a bike and ride over sand and snow. There are people who commute 20 miles to work rather than the convenience of driving. This whole friggin place is full of quirky folks who go against conventional wisdom. So before you go touting what is "better", or what is considered normal, please go look in the mirror next time you head out to ride.
    The whole place is full of quirky people, and the whole place is full of people touting what is "better".

    Hell, at least I prefaced my comments with the disclaimer that I recognize that they're my opinions.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,948
    Quote Originally Posted by mudge View Post
    The whole place is full of quirky people, and the whole place is full of people touting what is "better".

    Hell, at least I prefaced my comments with the disclaimer that I recognize that they're my opinions.
    Next time, don't sound like you're trying to stuff your "opinion" down people's throats.

    And preface comes before your spiel.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,112
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    Next time, don't sound like you're trying to stuff your "opinion" down people's throats.

    And preface comes before your spiel.
    You're not the boss of me.

    Sorry if you didn't like my opinions. I'm cool with that.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,948
    I definitely don't agree with your opinion, but you're entitled to what you believe to be the best. Sounds like A23's worked for you, and like I said, I almost bought them myself. I just had more experience with Open Pro's reliability, which was more comforting to me. It has just performed flawlessly.

    My "superior" P35's are also on their way out in favor of lighter, skinnier rims on my MTB. I just haven't seen any advantages with P35's compared to my 24.6mm Stans wheelset. Even with chunky 2.4's on there. Now stuff that in your throat and choke on it.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,112
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    I definitely don't agree with your opinion, but you're entitled to what you believe to be the best. Sounds like A23's worked for you, and like I said, I almost bought them myself. I just had more experience with Open Pro's reliability, which was more comforting to me. It has just performed flawlessly.

    My "superior" P35's are also on their way out in favor of lighter, skinnier rims on my MTB. I just haven't seen any advantages with P35's compared to my 24.6mm Stans wheelset. Even with chunky 2.4's on there. Now stuff that in your throat and choke on it.
    You know, I was almost thinking you were a reasonable guy, reading the first paragraph. Having read your last sentence, I change my mind. Putting a smiley face after an insult doesn't make it any less insulting.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Eric Malcolm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    447
    Man it sucks when the OR query gets a flogging down to this level.....

    Eric
    If I don't make an attempt, how will I know if it will work?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,948
    Quote Originally Posted by mudge View Post
    You know, I was almost thinking you were a reasonable guy, reading the first paragraph. Having read your last sentence, I change my mind. Putting a smiley face after an insult doesn't make it any less insulting.
    Pot calling kettle black. Just givin it back to you, Ace. No harm meant.

    Vaya vs Crosscheck (vs LHT)

Similar Threads

  1. Road Tires VS Dirt Tires?
    By benran44 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-16-2013, 11:18 PM
  2. Switching from off road tires to street tires...suggestions?
    By bpreachers in forum 29er Components
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-13-2013, 10:35 PM
  3. Narrower tires for an older MTB? (off-road tires)
    By Medic Zero in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-10-2011, 08:25 PM
  4. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-06-2011, 03:01 PM
  5. Recommend wheel set and Road Tires
    By nugentrocks in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-26-2011, 01:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •