mtbr member
    Feb 2013

what's your complete wheelset weigh?

I think I found the 'fat' on my cx bike! Everything but the wheels weighs 12 pounds even, with wheels it's 19lb 7oz (5lb 7oz for complete wheels with tires, cassette and ti skewers), it's an '07 Sworks carbon Tricross. It's a standard older Roval 21mm rim wheelset, with a 11-32 sram 980 cassette (not super light, but I like to be able to climb), and tubed Captain pros. It's a good, solid wheelset, and my bike is respectably light, plus I don't have much of a budget for new race wheels so I'm going to stick with these for now. I'm curious what weights you guys have in wheels, then I can imagine how light my bike might be next season!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    1650 w/basic bontrager skewers and stan's yellow rim strip tape n/ stems.
    DT Swiss 240 hubs, Stan's Alpha 240 rims, not sure what type of nipples, Straight guage spokes - I bought used, wheels were originally built for 240lb rider - I weigh 150, so if I were to have it built, I would have gone with double butted

mtbr member
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your complete wheels are actually quite light!

As a comparison, here is my race setup:

Carbon 38mm tubular wheels (32spoke, cheapish hubs, but not heavy) - 1443g
    Clement MXP tubulars - 760g
    Ashima rotors - 140g
    XT 11-32 cassette - 283g
    bolt-on skewers - 70g

Total Weight is 2,696 or 5.9 pounds.

In contrast, I have heavier wheels, but my total bike weight is only 17 pounds even - AND this is with an aluminum Crux frame. I think your weight savings should come from other places.

It sounds like you don't have disc brakes, so comparing my wheelset isn't completley fair- it also means your bike has the potential to be even lighter - disc brakes add at least half a pound to a bike compared to canti's.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hmm, I don't know where I could lose anything significant on the rest of the bike, but that's good perspective that my wheels are ok, -thanks! I'm not really a weight-weenie, -this bike was a lucky good timing used buy, I would normally not buy a bike this nice.
    It's: 07 Sworks carbon frame/fork/seatpost/stem/cranks, -possibly hard to lose much there. Bars are aluminum w/ Zertz, Cane Creek canits, Specialized ti rail saddle, older xtr derailleur, 1x9 (no front der) Ultegra sti shifter/brakes. Maybe 61cm bikes are just a little heavier. I guess my fish-scale might be off, but I always thought it was correct. I do most of my training including barriers and run-ups on a 28lb beater mtb, the race mtb and cx bike don't get ridden as much, this bike feels REALLY light after riding the training bike.

mtbr member
    It sounds like an awesome bike - and I wouldn't consider it heavy at all. I wouldn't be making any parts changes until something breaks or wears out. Obviously you can lose weight on every component, but it is rarely worth it - especailly when you already have good stuff.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    tbat frame and fork is not light, particularly the fork
    "Do not touch the trim"

Happy Trails

what's your complete wheelset weigh?

It's a little more than a pound more than my 58 Spesh Tarmac roadie, so I think you are all good.