Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    IMO, with the exception of slightly better mud clearance, disc brakes are pretty much not worth it for racing CX. I have never felt that I have ever needed more stopping power during a CX race. Now if you're riding your CX bike on the road or on trails, hell yes, disc brakes are worth it and much better than cantis.

My CX bike doubles as my commuter and I'm replacing rims every 1.5 years due to the sidewalls wearing out. So I'm super stoked to build a CX with discs.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    you need to go to a bike shop. get some face to face help.

Getaway Cycle Center
    Nov 2007

Ventana El Martillo CX "The Hammer" with Disc

i will never do it any other way.
    The hayes mech looked cool in silver but the total weight of the package (caliper, rotor, cable/housing, and bolts) weighed 1 lb. Front and back 2lbs total but minus the weight of canti's and housing maybe increased the bike weight of about 1.5.

They took some road riding and hard stoppping to get them broken in and adjusted.
    After the breakin period theses things are the best.
    Great Modulation, incredible stopping power, and when wet there is no wet/muddy rim to brake thru. We had a muddy race in a grass feild and i had so much muddy grass bult up on the canti's that the bike weighed a few lbs heavier until i cleared them my hand, while carrying thebike and runing....not fun......actually that was my biggest complaint with canti.

Contrary to most I dont care about weight so much, i do use my brakes especially when i pass right before the corner because all the canti bikes start breaking early......
    Also i am a mid pack rider so my competitive mindset is moderate.
    Maybe the concerns are different at the front of the pack.

Jamis has 5 models all with disc
    3 aluminum and 2 carbon
    starting at $850
    Last edited by Nickt30; 09-09-2012 at 06:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Nickt30 - How do you like the Ventana El Martillo CX? I'm a big Ventana fan and it has been at the top of my list for some time.

Getaway Cycle Center
    Nov 2007
    The Ventana El Martillo really feels great. Climbing, cornering, and even though it is aluminum it rides the rough stuff smoothly. The frame holds strong under some hard braking. Tappered headtube,135mm rear, and a great paintjob.

mtbr member
    Is the tapered headtube an upgrade?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Is the tapered headtube an upgrade?
    I would think so. With discs a lot of torque is being placed at the fork ends compared to cantis. Bigger bottom race on a fork = stiffer fork. The disc carbon forks coming out now are huge, compared to the Alpha-Q and Easton forks of yore.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudrock View Post
    I would think so. With discs a lot of torque is being placed at the fork ends compared to cantis. Bigger bottom race on a fork = stiffer fork. The disc carbon forks coming out now are huge, compared to the Alpha-Q and Easton forks of yore.
    I agree, a tapered headtube would be a plus for sure, but by asking if the "Tapered headtube is an upgrade", I meant to say..I believe the El Martillo CX comes with a standard 1 1/8th headtube, Nickt30 did you upgrade to the tapered headtube over the standard 1 1/8th headtube? Or is the tapered headtube standard?

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    You are wrong my friend.
    Kinda harsh, don't you mean the people that told him that are wrong?

Getaway Cycle Center
    Nov 2007

headtube upgrades

It was not an upgrade as much as using the newer tappered headtubes that they are incorporating into all their bikes. But now that you make me think about it i have to go check my invoice.....maybe there was an up grade charge. I added a few rear rack bosses for commuting, and i had a custom paint job. Either way i needed it to run a carbon tappered disc fork. Ofcourse Sherwood cringed at the idea of carbon on his bike. I put on the redline carbon tappered disc fork and it is rock solid.

Although geting back to on thread.........disc brakes did add 1.5lbs of wt.
    The only thing wrong with disc brakes at the moment....... IMO
    Last edited by Nickt30; 09-11-2012 at 04:50 AM.

Nox Trailbuilder
    So what disc setups are you guys using? ...and will they work with roadie shift/brake controls circa 1999?
    I just scored an '09 Redline disc frame to replace my old '99 frame. Hoping to swap everything over, and wiil be getting new wheels and brakes.
    Are hydro brakes even a possibility at this time?

mtbr member
    Not unless you use some kind of converter.

mtbr member
    I saw some TRP hydo's at interbike that used STI levers.
    Availability ? I'm an All Mountain guy.
    The flash of the disc caught my eye.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    No intent to hijack the thread, but what are the pros/cons of hydro v. mechanical discs for CX bikes?

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by mdehner View Post
    No intent to hijack the thread, but what are the pros/cons of hydro v. mechanical discs for CX bikes?
    Pros of mechanical/cons of hydraulic:
    Mechanical is cheaper
    No fluid to boil on long descents in mechanicals
    Mechanicals are lighter than hydros+conversion
    Mechanicals may be easier to work on(subjective)

Cons of mech/pros of hydros-
    Hydros have better lever feel
    Nice hydros have more power and modulation
    Hydros have self adjusting pads for wear
    Hydros have a sealed system less prone to mud/dirt contamination
    Hydros typically don't ever need maintenance besides changing the pads
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I think if you use your bike for trails and more than just CX racing the disc brakes would be nice, but i have yet to be in a cross race and wish i had more braking power, and the weight penalty of them vs the extra power is just not worth it, personally.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    im new to disc brakes but they are freakin amazing!

mtbr member

mtbr member

Bro Mountainbiker
    Made separate thread. Sorry
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

EMBA Member
    Oct 2006
    Disc is coming on fast, the Avid road 7's are nice.
    I raced my Tri-Cross with disc on the weekends and commuted during the week and it worked great, especially for a newb to cross. I wasn't worried about the weight because being a mtn biker I had to have disc brakes.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kasperilio View Post
    I wasn't worried about the weight because being a mtn biker I had to have disc brakes.
    I'm not really sure what this means? I've raced MTB's for almost 20 years, most of that time as an expert. I currently race XC and Super D as an expert (cat1) road as a Cat 3 and Cyclocross as an A master (Cat 1) and am on the podium in all. I have 4 mountain bikes all with disc brakes yet my 15.8 lb cyclocross bike has v-brakes and I have NEVER wanted for more braking power or better modulation.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hey, since we are on the topic. I bought a Raleigh Furley about a month or so ago, give or take. I'm definitely not liking the disc brakes that are on it and I am looking to get an upgrade. Not an upgrade that is going to deplete my residual income, if you know what I mean. I'm looking for some decent disc brakes that will really make me feel safe. Any help is appreciated!

jrm
    mtbr member

Why not only up front?

and a v brake in back,seriously. i never use the rear brake anyway. Sure would make long descents nicer..

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    and a v brake in back,seriously. i never use the rear brake anyway. Sure would make long descents nicer..
    A mullet? Never on a cross bike.

Actually, I have a non-disc frame and have considered a fork swap so I can put a disc up front (need a disc wheel or hub change, the rotor and caliper). Might improve wet/muddy braking, long downhill braking when commuting, and save some on rim thinning (only the back would need to be replaced every few years).

This thread is so full of mis-info, btw.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast