Robtre

What CX tire options do I have for a Flow Rim?

Its not the Flow EX, I really want 700x35-38, has anyone done this before?
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    I think the rim is gonna be too wide.

Have you tried mounting a tire in the 35-38 range on the rim yet?

If so, how's it look?

SPP
    Rigid.

Robtre
    No not yet just looking to make a purchase. So bigger maybe 40-43?
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    The non-EX Flow is just 21 mm wide on the inside, isn't it? I think 35 mm tires should be just fine. The only caution I can think of is that the tire profile is squared and rolling resistance increased, as the transition and even side knobs come into contact when riding straight. But this is more a question of tire design than nominal width, and might not happen with all tires.

But if your bike can fit wider tires, why not go for them?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a similar issue; I want to run a wide range of tire widths on my new cross bike. So ideally should one have (1) a narrower rim (e.g. Stan's Iron Cross) for cross tires in the 700c x 35mm and smaller range and (2) a wider rim (e.g. something in the Stan's Flow range) for larger tires in the 700 x 40-45mm range? I ask because if one can use a wider (e.g. Flow width rim) for the narrower tires, I might be interested in gettting this carbon XC rim to run a wider range of tubeless tires.
    "I'm going to work so that it's a pure guts race at the end, and if it is, I am the only one who can win it." - Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Get a rim with an internal width in the 19-21 mm range and you cover tire widths between 35-45 mm quite well. I just built a wheelset for my cross/commuter bike with WTB Frequency i19's (19 mm inner width) and the manufacturer stated minimum tire width is 28 mm. In my experience 19 mm is quite enough for tires up to and a bit over 50 mm.

The only concern with 29er disc rims and small tires is that the rims might not be built to withstand high pressures of small tires. Check what you buy and it should be fine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Running Arch EXs (21 inside width) seems to add a few mm in width to the tires I have put on it. MSO 40 measured 39mm. Spec captain cx 34 measured 36mm. CLement LAS measured 38mm. I tried those all on 17mm rim and the difference was pretty much 2mm across the board. Doesn't seem like a lot, but looking at them there is a big difference in volume. The Clements kept the most round profile of those three. The captains got pretty squared off looking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Don't go too big if you want to use road tires(25mm or less). And FYI, if you like tubeless setup, I wouldn't go too far. Normal cross tires(33mm range) don't play well with wide rims(over 20mm ID) when you setup tubeless.

FYI, I've seen people using Mavic Open Pro rims with 29er 2.0 tires without any issue.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I am in the same boat as the poster. Im building a Moots gravel grinder with the bigger rear end. I was considering WTB KOM rims which have a internal width of 23mm. Do you think this is to wide? I was hoping I could run a 32mm road tire for the rare occasions I did big road rides. What do you guys think?

mtbr member
    I think 23 mm inner width is too wide for 32 mm tires. I think 19 mm would be the safest choice for tires around 30-50 mm width range.

Robtre
    Ok gents here is what I ordered:
    Schwalbe CX Comp Cyclocross Bike Tyre 700cx40 $17.99 each so lets hope I can make it work! I will report back if/when I get them mounted!
    -rides bikes for fun.

Human Test Subject
    Quote Originally Posted by Saul Lumikko View Post
    Get a rim with an internal width in the 19-21 mm range and you cover tire widths between 35-45 mm quite well. I just built a wheelset for my cross/commuter bike with WTB Frequency i19's (19 mm inner width) and the manufacturer stated minimum tire width is 28 mm. In my experience 19 mm is quite enough for tires up to and a bit over 50 mm.

The only concern with 29er disc rims and small tires is that the rims might not be built to withstand high pressures of small tires. Check what you buy and it should be fine.
    I've run 23mm tires on my i19s at over 100 psi. I dunno if I was supposed to, but I'm still alive.

mtbr member
    I'm running 33mm Racing Ralphs on my WTB i19's, front at 40psi and rear at 50psi. So far no issues but will be trying 35 & 45 next month for a 12hr race I'm doing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Saul Lumikko View Post

This is great advice. I have decided to go with the Stan's Iron Cross rim (inner diameter 20mm), which will allow me to run a low pressure tubeless setup on a wide range of tires in the 30-45mm range.
    "I'm going to work so that it's a pure guts race at the end, and if it is, I am the only one who can win it." - Prefontaine