mtbr member
    Oct 2013

What can/should I carry during race? (disc, single speed)

I have tubeless disc wheels and single speed. I figure nothing in neutral support is going to help me. Can I carry a tube, levers and CO2? In a pocket or seat pack? Or will I need to run it back to my own car and work on it there (depending if it's even worth it time-wise)?

(Racing first time - and located in NorCal)
    Cheers,
    Mike.

I'd rather be riding
    For a cross race? I carry nothing and keep nothing in the pit.

hispanic mechanic
    As the ne'er-do-wells at Hodala say, "my pit bike is a 6 pack."
    I tend to carry a CO2 cartridge with me during prerides, just in case I feel like I'm going to seriously burp my tubeless tire in a section. I haven't used it for that yet, just hit up a pump at the expo area. I keep thinking that maybe I should toss the CO2, along with 4-,5-, and 6mm allens into the pits, but I haven't remembered so far this season.
    You have some pretty low maintenance stuff, with tire pressure being the only sticking point.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I carry a very small allen wrench combo in my pocket, -just in case my seat or seatpost slips or something weird like that. I should leave my mtb in the pits, but with bringing/preparing my small kids bikes my roofrack is full, and race morning is plenty complicated as is. If/when I do go by myself I will leave a spare mtb in the pits. A cheap spare wheelset would be easy enough to leave in the pits, I should work on getting one, but a spare bike, even if it's an mtb, would be easier.

I have a spare old Raleigh ti mtb 26er frame, I have thought about building that up for a Tomac-tribute style drop bar mtb, that would make a great pit and pre-ride bike. I should work on that, I probably have 90% of the parts in my basement to do that, I just need a fork with a LONG steertube.
    Yeah, ideally I would pre-ride and warmup on the pit bike. The odds of needing the pit bike would probably be cut nearly in half if I did all my pre-ride and warmup on the pit bike.

mtbr member
    I have a spare wheelset, a pump, and I keep a few tools in my gear bag. I've also brought my mtb along also. All that stuff stays in my truck.

As far as riding the course on the pit bike, I prefer to ride my race bike. That way I can dial in the tire pressure, and get a better feel for the course. Riding my mtb around for a warm up wouldnt be the same.

Kilted Cyclist
    Jan 2004
    I don't carry anything with me because Cross races are very short and intense. If you flatted or some kind of mechanical problem in the middle of the race. Your race is pretty much over.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I was thinking that as a first-time beginner racer if I got a flat or big burp in lap 1 or 2 I could at least get back going for another lap or two. I was not sure if there was some safety rule about having empty pockets and no seat bags.

Mtn View, CA
    A beginner race will only be 3 or 4 laps. If you have a mechanical after lap 2, you're done. Walk/run to the finish. If it's a point series, it's important to still finish even if you end up a lap or two down.
    What Norcal series are you racing?
    Atomic batteries to power...turbines to speed...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    It's the Bay Area Super Prestige (Sierra Pt race #3). There's no beginner race for single-speeds so I'm in the 'B's with 5 laps ~45mins. I could tube up in 3-4mins with CO2.

The Brutally Handsome
    Here at our races, it's forbidden to do any repairs outside of the pit, so there's no reason to carry anything. Also, don't assume that a mechanical will end your race. Depending on the issue and your location to the pit, 45 minutes is easily enough time to swap bikes or a wheel and get back in the race.

menace to myself & others
    Aug 2005
    There may actually be neutral disc wheels in the pits at BASP now, although I don't think so. You can carry that stuff, if you think it's worth it to get an extra lap in. Just make sure you're off the course when you're messing with your stuff, though.

I wouldn't recommend it, particularly, but I guess you'd be able to fix a flat and get back in a lap down.

Mtn View, CA
    Surf City will let single speeds ride in the C's (beginner). It doesn't make sense to have a beginner ride with intermediates just because you're on a singlespeed and they don't have a beginner level single speed class.
    Atomic batteries to power...turbines to speed...

Aug 2005
    You can race in Cs with a singlespeed in any of the Northern California series. The Singlespeed B class, though, has a particularly wide range of riders, so my guess the OP will be fine, as long as he is not an idiot.

BUT if you have yet not signed up, @warx, you might want to consider racing Cs, since it's more oriented to beginners. At Sierra Point (which is flat flat flat) you'll be fine with a singlespeed in Cs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I've ridden a lot of road and XC MTB, in pretty decent shape and been doing some cross practice (GG Park, Corte Madera marshes) so it was recommended that I go ahead with the SS B not the Cs. Plus with my current ratio (42x18) I can spin at about 23mph and looking at those multiple long straights I thought I'd be in the way surrounded by gears...
    Also I heard if you ride a SS the camaraderie in SS was cool. :-)

The Brutally Handsome
    Are all of you allowed to ride a SS in Cat A and B races in your area?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzler View Post
    Are all of you allowed to ride a SS in Cat A and B races in your area?
    You are not obligated to have gears and some people ride faster in SS.

Aug 2005
    The guy who won the Open A Men did it on a singlespeed. 39x16, for those of you who were wondering...

Warx, how'd you do?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Not too bad! I started at the very back of the Bs (behind the unicycle guy!). I was not expecting so many technical sections. Was able to pass on the bits where I was really pedaling but they usually caught and passed me back on the barriers, run-ups or sand/mud. I know what I've got to work on. Shame I missed all the clinics at season open.

I did not take any tools but did not need anything except the water bottle. Totally hooked so looking at all the remaining races I can do.

I could've gone 42x17 and got another couple of mph on the long straights but 18 was comfortable everywhere else. A couple of climbs would've been a bit tougher but ridable.

Scariest bit for me was the coming down the bridge. I am still working on my re-mount clip-in and have been switching back-n-forth from SPD and egg-beaters. The couple of times I transitioned from the bottom of the ramp unclipped was a bit dicey and I was relying on my legs clinging on my seat.

Aug 2005
    Oh, man, they made you start behind the unicycle guy? That sucks.

Glad you had fun! I don't know your location or transportation situation, but definitely check out the Surf City series and the Norcal.cx series for slightly lower-key racing (but better courses). The Santa Rosa ones are fun too, although I'm less a fan of the courses.