mtbr member

Want to Try Cyclocross

So I want to give cyclocross a shot. I've coverted a MTB by swapping a rigid fork and adding a pair of Schwalbe CX Pros 1.35. Wondering about tire pressure. The sidewall says min 55 psi. I'm about 190lbs. I know about the waterbottle cage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Want to Try Cyclocross-image.jpg  

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lextek View Post
    So I want to give cyclocross a shot. I've coverted a MTB by swapping a rigid fork and adding a pair of Schwalbe CX Pros 1.35. Wondering about tire pressure. The sidewall says min 55 psi. I'm about 190lbs. I know about the waterbottle cage.
    Looks good, race it. I'd take the Min. rating with a grain of salt. With tubes at your weight I'd start at 40ish. You can leave the cage, in the heat even some pros run a bottle cage and bottle if they don't have to shoulder the bike.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Tried out my mongrul cyclocross rig today. I was amazed how well those skinny Schwables hooked up. Had zero issues with traction. Wet grass and mud no problem. Something about a rigid bike with skinny tires. It was a blast.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Nice, did you shoulder, or just side carry?

Quote Originally Posted by lextek View Post
    Tried out my mongrul cyclocross rig today. I was amazed how well those skinny Schwables hooked up. Had zero issues with traction. Wet grass and mud no problem. Something about a rigid bike with skinny tires. It was a blast.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik_A View Post
    Nice, did you shoulder, or just side carry?
    With the smaller front triangle on a MTB you probably can't shoulder the bike in traditional CX style anyway. Just plan on suitcasing (side carrying) it. The cage may still get in the way and catch on things, but it may not be a big deal if the course doesn't require a bike carry.

And I concur with the other poster on tire pressure. 40 psi seems like a good starting point. If you noticed no issues on your test ride then don't monkey too much with it. If you find yourself on a bumpy course, bumping the pressure up a few psi may be prudent to minimize the chance of a pinch flat.

mtbr member
    Great tires ! I had them on my rigid 90's mtn bike in the 26-in diameter for CX racing last year and they hooked up really well on slippery and muddy conditions. Try tire pressure 45 to 48 psi. for dry conditions. Then lower about 5 psi if muddy or sloppy conditions.
    Last edited by yetimeister514; 10-01-2012 at 05:12 PM. Reason: wheel diameter

mtbr member
    Wl the 26x1.35 mount on a crossmax wheel? Thinking about trying the same thing to get started.I did my first race on a set of racing ralphs. I think I have a new addiction....

mtbr member
    The Schwalbe 26-in CX Pro will mount on a standard 26-in. rim. You will have to use a smaller size 26 x 1.0 to 1.25 tube. Both can be purchased from biketiresdirect.com.

mtbr member
    Great tires. Even with the small front triangle I was able to shoulder it. Of the bottle cage was removed. The first cyclocross race is this Sunday.