mtbr member
    Jul 2013

New question here. Upgrades from Tektro Oryx Cantis?

Link to bike info:
    Print Bike Page - Cross 3.0

Picked up a 2011 Fuji Cross a few weeks a go at a good price and have been happy with it as it is my first anything not a mountain bike. My one problem is that the brakes leave a lot to be desired and frankly, they make me kind of nervous with their lack of stopping power. They have been adjusted more than once and I find that I am squeezing the **** out of the brakes to show any favorable results so I am looking for upgrades.

Trying not to spend more than $150us on a brake set but open to ideas. I hear nothing but rave reviews about the shorty ultimates all day every day. Was thinking that maybe swapping the front one to an ultimate and keeping the back one stock for now would be a viable option but am not sure.

Here are the sets I have looked at so far.

FSA SL-K
    SL-K CYCLOCROSS BRAKESET

Paul Neo Retro
    Neo-Retro from Paul Component Engineering

TRP Revo X
    TRP

thanks for your time and input/opinions/suggestions/etc

mtbr member
    I actually have a set of shorty ultimates on ebay right now. Auction ends tomorrow. I might also suggest trying new brake pads. My wifes specialized crux didnt brake very well, and I bought some Swisstop pads for aluminum rims (green color). She said it made a noticeable difference. Worth a shot, and cheaper than new brakes. And if you're wondering, I'm switching to mini v's. I just bought some trp cx 8.4's.

FKA Malibu412
    Best CX brake upgrade I've seen (besides disc brakes) is to switch to v-brakes.

I have the same Tektros on a CruX and so far they work okay. I had a 1000 miles on the stock pads and just changed them to some Cool-Stops.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    TEKTRO USA

Cheap effective upgrade. The Orynx came stock on my first X-Check and I swapped the front for one of these. It was night and day. Plus you won't need to change brakes (as if you went to v's) or spend a fortune (like if you bought mini-v's). Just my thoughts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Tektro RX5 in the front is my vote. It costs about a fourth of what the TRP 8.4s cost and they weigh about the same. The only thing thats missing is the bling factor. If you can afford the 8.4s then by all means get em.

I'd rather be riding
    Another satisfied 8.4 trp user! Love them, found a set on eBay for a good price this spring!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Little confused on the specifics of mini Vs now. Correct me if im wrong here.

Mini V is a type of brake(canti, disc, mini-v). Not a brand(trp, FSA, shimano).

Also is my understanding correct that the difference between 8.4s and 9s is what shift/braking group you are using? Like the 9s are for newer shimano(assuming I fall in this category with Tiagras) and 8.4s are for SRAM/campy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by munsterrr View Post
    Little confused on the specifics of mini Vs now. Correct me if im wrong here.

Mini V is a type of brake(canti, disc, mini-v). Not a brand(trp, FSA, shimano).

Also is my understanding correct that the difference between 8.4s and 9s is what shift/braking group you are using? Like the 9s are for newer shimano(assuming I fall in this category with Tiagras) and 8.4s are for SRAM/campy.
    Yes.

Yes, sort of. 8.4 is 84mm arm length, and the 9 is 90mm. I actually heard the 8.4's work well with shimano. I read something about more pad/rim clearance I think. Something like that. I guess I'll find out! Its full on winter here, so, I wont be using my cx bike until spring. I also bought my brakes on ebay. My used shorty ultimates are already $30 more than a new pair of trp mini v's, and the auction isnt over yet!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I saw your post on ebay. I guess everyone(me included) sees them as a better deal than separately. Good for you though! More money for xmas presents lol. Going to give a look around for some deals for the next few hours and see what I find.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I never knew what the acronym for TRP stood for until today! I actually picked up a full set of shorty ultimates front and back for $145 last night on ebay. Figured if end up not liking or wanting to try something else, I can easily sell these for what I spent on them.

I think a part of my problem is that I come from disc brakes on a mtb that stop my 225lb ass with no problem. From what I have learned from here MTBR and a few other places is that Mini-V style brakes have more of that "on/off" style braking that I have grown accustomed to. Pretty confident that with the ultimates and some koolstops, I'll be set up for success(provided they are dialed in properly).

Thanks again for all of your responses everyone.