mtbr member

Upgrade to Deore XT? Worth it?

I screwed up guys. I rode my bike too much and now my cassette is worn. It needs to be replaced. My question is, is upgrading the cassette/deraulleur (figure might as well change it all in one fell swoop) going to really improve my ride? I was on Tiagra before, I can't say it was the cleanest shifting I'd had, but it worked.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

This is for a Surly X-Check PS (which is why it's in this thread).

I liked my wide range/long cage setup, so if there are alternatives I'd like that (I tour and ride up walls).

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    If the cassette is worn out, your chain and at least one chainring would likely be worn out too, so learn how to tell if those are bad and need replacement. The chain usually wears first, and then takes out the other two. It may be just the chain, but maybe all 3. Riding your bike enough to wear stuff out is good!, well done!
    I have had good luck with Sram cassettes and chains, using both with shimano shifters and derailleurs. It's hard to say if an xt derailleur and cassette would improve your shifting, probably not by much unless your current derailleur is messed up. Some of the more moderately priced sram cassettes are very nearly as light as the more expensive models, but I've had good luck with the cheaper ones too.

What sort of gear range do you have in the rear?, I'm running a 11-32 on an older xtr derailleur, as a 1x9 with a 38 in the front. It's a little big for steeper hills on mtb trails, but I seem to get by, and it seems just right for racing.

mtbr member
    11-32.

I replace chains regularly and let the rest got sloppy to get the most use out of em (it's not like I'm racing). I've replaced my middle ring about a dozen times since I put the most torque on that one (ride up most road hills on it, and ride most dirt on it). The chain is fairly new, but I'm going to double check. My deraulleur had some surgery after I packed it wrong last year. It hasn't ever really shifted right since, my rear stays might need some fine tuning too (god bless steel). So far your opinion sounds like a nay, save the money for more beer.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Stick with the 11-32. The cog gaps on a 11-34 i was using proved to be too large for mixed use. If you want some lower gearing try converting a road triple to a double sans big ring.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Shadow+ is awesome. That alone would be worth the upgrade for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Don't know if you've upgraded the shifters yet. Do that. Derailleur's probably fine, though you might check the pulley wheels if the cassette's toast.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Upgrade to Deore XT? Worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by spsoon View Post
    Shadow+ is awesome. That alone would be worth the upgrade for me.
    This -very tempted to go with a type 2 SRAM rear derailleur - short cage for my Major jake. I have an XT shadow plus on my Krampus and love the silence!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    Stick with the 11-32. The cog gaps on a 11-34 i was using proved to be too large for mixed use. If you want some lower gearing try converting a road triple to a double sans big ring.
    I never mentioned changing the gearing. I run a mountain triple right now. Also, I have bar end shifters and won't be going to silly brake shifters because of my love of touring and being hundreds of miles from bike shops at times. I was looking at the Shadow stuff, pricey though.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FatCloud View Post
    I liked my wide range/long cage setup, so if there are alternatives I'd like that (I tour and ride up walls).
    I was going off this.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys