Thread: Tyre pressures

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Tyre pressures

I've been playing around with tyre pressures for a while now and I've dropped down to the minimum recommended for my 700 x 35c Smart Sam's (50psi). It feels great for the terrain I ride on (muddy, rutted, lots of roots and rock hard in places) but I'd like to try even lower pressures and I'm not sure if it's wise, particularly in regard to pinch flats. It would help to know what pressures you guys are running.

I'm not exactly light (185lbs) but I've dropped alot of weight recently and I'm on target to reach my ideal weight of 170lbs in the next month or two. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'll give it a try then, thanks

rr
    I don't do PC
    Yeah I would be concerned going any lower, I used to run in the 60's psi when I ran 35's w/tubes even on loose dirt. If your frame will fit them try the 40 size, and set them up tubeless. I run 40's psi, more traction & cush, and no more pinch flats

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks rroeder, I was considering going tubeless and if it allows me to drop 5-10psi then that would be great. I'll have to read up a bit because I don't really know that much about it.

I can get 40's on the back with no problems but my Kenesis fork doesn't have much clearance so it tends to get clogged up with leaves and mud on 40's, I may even change the fork at some point to get a fatter tyre on there.

Thanks again.

rr
    I don't do PC
    I bet the 35's would work fine tubeless, just the bigger the tire the lower you can go with the psi. In my experience, it's more about the tire than wheel with tubeless setups, any wheel can be converted to tubeless with the products out there these days, but not all tires work well and stay sealed up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    What tubeless products would you recommend? I'm not sure what I should be looking for.

rr
    I don't do PC
    I have used Stan's stuff in the past but have found Gorilla tape(cut to inner width of rim) to be more durable rim tape. There's a bunch of diff sealants but Stan's works well and is the most available here so that's what I use. You will need valve stems too, and compressed air helps to get the tire to seat.

It's a bit of a process especially the first time so maybe get your shop to help, but there's a ton of info out there on the web.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    That'll get me started, thanks