mtbr member

Tubular tire pressure?

What are people running? My season is over now, but I wasnt too thrilled with the pressures I was running. I'm a light weight and I still needed 34-35 psi to keep from hitting the rim every lap. The lowest I raced with was 31, and I was worried. Am I being too cautious? I didnt want to flat a $100 tubular. But, I was running the same pressure with my clinchers, so, I wasnt really gaining anything by being on tubulars this season, other than the carbon wheel set. Thanks for the input!

Bro Mountainbiker
    You can bottom out your rim all the time with no worries. Tubulars dont like to pinch flat. I sliced one of my tubbies open in the last race of the season. I rode to the pit on the rim over broken concrete and rooty ground banging my rim and tire on everything in my path. After further inspection, the only damage the tire saw was the original slice that will be easily repairable by sealant

Just dont hit so hard you dent or crack your rims. I would bet the pros bottom out their rims many times per lap. But they also dont pay for replacing their carbon rims.

I weight 165lb and I typically run 30/35. I like the tires to feel stiffer in the corners. I would go lower on wet days. Probably 25/30.

It also depends on the tire, rider weight, and rim width.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I am 190lb and also run 30 - 35 psi. You will get some that say if you are not bottoming out in stretches, you are probably running too much pressure.

So I'd say you are being too cautious...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fakie1999 View Post
    The lowest I raced with was 31, and I was worried.
    How confident are you in the accuracy of the gauge on your pump? I ask because I use a Craftsman Cordless Inflator which has a digital readout. I generally start out inflating tires to 28.5-29.0 psi and typically end up somewhere around 27-28 psi after manual adjustments during pre-riding. Not too long ago a fellow competitor asked to use my inflator after he had pumped his tires up with a floor pump with a top mounted gauge to what he read to be ~30 psi but my cordless inflator indicated over 36 psi! Of the two floor pumps we have at home, neither comes within 3-4 psi of the other when measured with an SKS AirChecker Digital, much less within 5-6 psi of the Craftsman. Point is due to things like .5-1 psi pressure loss while removing the pump head as well as the general inaccuracy of the gauges onb floor pumps, you may in fact be running 28-30 psi.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ms6073 View Post
    How confident are you in the accuracy of the gauge on your pump? I ask because I use a Craftsman Cordless Inflator which has a digital readout.
    I use the craftsman cordless inflator also.

Thanks for the responses! Maybe I should've asked this before my season was over. I guess next season I'll just try to get used to feeling the rims hit more. I'm using challenge grifo tires. I also have a spare set of clincher wheels, so, a flat wouldnt have ended my day anyway.

In some of the cross videos I've watched, I routinely hear pros say they're running 25/26 psi and it amazes me. The very first test ride I did I set my tires to 25, and I was hitting the rims just on gravel!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ms6073 View Post
    How confident are you in the accuracy of the gauge on your pump? I ask because I use a Craftsman Cordless Inflator which has a digital readout. I generally start out inflating tires to 28.5-29.0 psi and typically end up somewhere around 27-28 psi after manual adjustments during pre-riding. Not too long ago a fellow competitor asked to use my inflator after he had pumped his tires up with a floor pump with a top mounted gauge to what he read to be ~30 psi but my cordless inflator indicated over 36 psi! Of the two floor pumps we have at home, neither comes within 3-4 psi of the other when measured with an SKS AirChecker Digital, much less within 5-6 psi of the Craftsman. Point is due to things like .5-1 psi pressure loss while removing the pump head as well as the general inaccuracy of the gauges onb floor pumps, you may in fact be running 28-30 psi.
    This new Tire Pressure Sensor on Kickstarter looks pretty cool I like this idea using my iPhone to get an accurate online tire pressure info. I will go for it.

xtoph - endorfin - rohloff

mtbr member
    I may end up getting a gauge I saw in the fat bike section of the forum. I run really low pressure on my pugsley during the winter, 6 front 8 rear as indicated on the craftsman pump. But, an accurate gauge to double check all my bikes would be nice.

0-30psi, right on the edge of cx tire pressure for some people, too low for others.
    Accu Gage Professional Bicycle Tire Tubes Pressure Gauge Meiser PV Gauge 30PSI | eBay
    Last edited by Fakie1999; 12-22-2012 at 07:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I ride both 32" and 34" FMB tubulars, and on the 32" I run 24psi front, 26psi rear. With the 34" I run 22psi front, 23-24psi rear. I weigh about 145-150lb.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    150lbs and I typically run 28-26 psi with my 33 Fangos.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm 165 lbs on average, I run 26-27psi front, 28-29 psi rear in 34 tires. I rarely hit a rim, but when I do it is usually when I botch a remount or on the first warm up lap. I think the pros can get away with sub 25 psi because they are smooth.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I'm 165 and in the right conditions (my last race was in madison on snow a couple weeks ago now) I run as low as 12-14 psi per my park tools gauge. I can easily push the tire down and feel the rim at that pressure.

I normally run 18-28 depending on conditions.

Do not worry- the reason you paid that much for the tire is so that you could run super low psi when the conditions beg for it.

Weird huh?
    Kitted out 190lbs
    35 psi normally/25 psi for smooth courses
    Challenge Grifos
    And don't do the burrito jump... Francois

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    yeah,i think so.150lbs and I typically run 28-26 psi with my 33 Fangos.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm 190 lbs and I was running 32 rear/ 28 front psi on my challenge grifo's with minimal bottoming out.

jason