mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Tubeless or Tubes? Stan's Flow 29er wheels with Kenda Happy Medium 40c on XC HT

Has anyone run flows with fairly skinny tires? I want to give CX a shot, with what I have in my garage, before spending more money on different wheels or bikes. I plan on using them on my normal steel 29er hardtail for a few local races, therefore no 34c width rule.

Will something like this be burp prone or corner poorly with such a wide rim? 40c is fat for a cx tire, bit 3/4" less than any tire I have ever had on Flows. My two worries are an overly "square" profile and that they will transmit too much force to the bead and burp too much.

Is there any reason not to run these tubeless? Has anyone had a similar setup?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Why not just run mtb tires if you just want to try cx? I see lots of mtb's out there. As for if it will work or not, I cant say. I would guess yes though. Maybe shoot stans an email and ask?

mtbr member
    I would just ride what you have. No sense spending money trying something you may not like. Not sure which flows you have. If you have the Flow then you could prob get away with something as small as a 40. If you have the Flow EX I wouldn't go that low.

Tire Sizing Systems

See chart towards bottom.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    A 40mm tire? Who, Where?

Mojo

mtbr member
    Signature

H8 H8 H8
    Quote Originally Posted by quagmire_1985 View Post
    Is there any reason not to run these tubeless? Has anyone had a similar setup?
    Can't comment on rim fit, but I'd avoid sealant in the Happy Medium - I've had one go bad on me w/ Stan's.
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

mtbr member
    Ride your bike how you normally ride it for the CX race. THEN get addicted and decide you want a completely new bicycle.