Now older but less slow!

Tubeless tire options for road and multi-use gravel trails?

I'm currently riding with Conti Speed tires and they are a great fast tire but the rear is wearing smooth and as we get to the dry season I'm finding the tires quite loose and sketchy on the multi-use trails that I ride which are covered in a 1/8" or so of loose fine aggregate over firm surface.

I've just ordered a tubeless compatible wheel set (Velocity A23 Pro) so I am looking for a better tubeless tire to mount to the A23 rims I'm getting. I'd like a more grippy tire on front for steering security and I fast rolling tire on the rear. I'm willing to trade out some grip at the back for road efficiency as my rides tend to be 50% road and 50% trail. Also I don't mind the back sliding a bit on loose corners - just not the front! That freaks me out I don't race (apart from segments on Strava).

Specialized make the Trigger Pro 2Bliss (for rear) and Tracer Pro 2Bliss (for front) that could be a great combinations (or put Tracer on front and rear).

Vittoria Cross XG Pro 700x34 may be an option for the wider A23 rim?

The Hutchinson Toro CX Tubeless are designed for mud but I'm wondering if this may be a good option? This review that is based in similar Colorado conditions to my riding might suggest that these are a contender.

Clement MXP, while not specifically being a tubeless specific tire seems to have some success from what I have read. Is this worth the risk over the others?

Any others that I should be looking at that I may be missing? I want true tubeless ready tires - not non tubeless that happen to work with a bit of effort.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I've been using XG pros (the 32c offering) for a good while now - my only real beef is that they wear fast on the road, but I think that will be the case for any decent cross tire. That tread pattern is my favorite for an all-rounder. I did manage to blow out the bead on a hot day once but I think that was a combination of me filling it a bit too much, 95 degree temps and a really long descent.

Used the hutchinson bulldogs (nearly identical tread to the Toros) for about a year also - they wore a bit better but were slow rolling on road/gravel. Only slightly better in mud - for really loose/muddy conditions I'd look for something like the clement PDX or challenge fango, though I'm not aware of a tubeless offering that is close to either. Never tried those tubeless but I know they had issues (which are hopefully fixed in the Toro). I liked these tires for singletrack but not much else.

One that you didn't mention is the kenda happy medium - this came up in a thread a week or so ago and I plan to use one on the rear of an old cross bike I'm setting up as a singlespeed with a flip/flop hub. What I'm mostly looking for is a symmetrical tread so I can turn the wheel around with impunity, but it looks like a fast roller too. Its essentially a file tread tire like the conti speed that you have, but with more aggressive side knobs. I will probably keep the XG on the front.

I personally won't try a non-tubeless tire again after having some issues with continentals. There isn't as much room for error with a small tire as there are with larger MTB tires. I think my brother's done OK with some clements.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

Now older but less slow!

Good input, thanks!

Is the Kenda Happy Medium a tubeless compatible tire? I left out the Kenda range as I didn't see that they were.

Edit:

I was wrong. I just looked again and now I see that the SCT designation is their sealant compatible tubeless label.

mtbr member
    They make "sealant compatible" versions of the 32 and 35c - Happy Medium Pro

Hopefully these are built with a stiffer bead as well, and won't require a rim strip.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

Now older but less slow!

There's a lot to like in the 35mm wide Happy Medium SCT apart from the weight.

May see about using this on the front and try my existing Conti Speed on the rear if it mounts tubeless at all. If not I'll keep it as a spare.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've been extremely happy with the Specialized Trigger on Stan's Iron Cross rims. We've had a drought, so the trails have been pretty dry, and they have handled it great. You have to watch yourself on steep descents, and you won't always be able to stand on climbs, but I find that when they drift, it's controlled and predictable. The Tracer also looks good, and would probably do better in loose or dusty conditions, but the Triggers are so smooth and fast on the road and hard pack that I'm sticking with them.

Now older but less slow!

I did a test last night to see if the Continental Speed I have would mount tubeless. It wasn't good.

So I'm think I may just go for the Specialized 2Bliss tires. The Tracer Pro for the front and for the back I am still undecided... Probably the Trigger Pro but I may change my mind and put a Tracer Pro there as well.

Mtn View, CA
    I talked to the president of Stan's at SeaOtter and the 'cross racers they sponsor use Kendas. He said they fit their wheels just right which makes sealing them easy plus you already noted they are tubeless compatible. He said the tread they use will depend on conditions but as others have said the Happy Medium looks like it would match what you want to do.
    Atomic batteries to power...turbines to speed...