Mtbr's 2016 Winter Biking GearReviews and Roundups

FAT BIKES

WINTER APPAREL

TRAINERS

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Tubeless rim brake wheels

I am looking for a set of tubeless rim brake wheels. I have had a look at Stans Alpha which look good, however I have heard that there is a little concern regarding tyre compatibility - my LBS stated that they have had a number of tyres blow off the rim.
    Looking for something around the $600 AUD mark (400-500 USD).
    I weigh 90 kg, so they need to be robust and ideally as light as possible

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Velocity A23 or Pacenti SL23. Both are robust enough if you go at least 32H.

Cannondale CAADX 105
    Cannondale CAD3 SS 96er build (circa 1997)

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I run the Stans Alpha with tubeless ready tires and haven't had any issues for the entire cross season and have been super happy with the wheels. I did originally try mounting some normal tires, and they did blow off. Tubeless-ready tires are definitely needed.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I know you are looking for a wheelset as am I, only I'm looking for a disc set.

My Motobecane came with WTB I19 Chriscross rims mated to what look like Formula hubs. I too weigh 90 kg and have logged over 1000 miles on them without having to do a thing them. I ride them about 25% of the time on the same trails I ride my MTB on. In fact, rode the same course I raced my 29er on with them. Some pretty rocky and rutted trails. I've raced CX with them as well. Velomine sells a set mated to Shimano Deore hubs. And, while the rims are pretty light, the hubs aren't resulting in a wheelset weighing more than 2000 grams.

I'm looking for a disc wheelset to finish up my Macho Man build. Have been considering the WTB Frequency I19's as well as the Stan's Iron Cross rims.

mtbr member
    The SL23 is just the SL25 w/ a brake track. Essentially the same rim shape as Hed+ or Grail. Plenty strong. 28r/24f should be no problem unless you're a Clyde.

FTR, I'm a huge fan of Pacenti rims, have 4 sets. Absolutely effortless setup and perfect tubeless burp free performance

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    My understanding is v1 of the Stans rims had more problems with tire blowing off. v2 blow off seems to be a lot less common.

The Velocity Quill (415g) seem interesting however I have not seen many reviews.

You could also find Chinese carbon tubeless in that price range. However I may lean away because carbon in clincher is not lighter or better breaking than alloy.

On the cheep and light side would be Kinlin XR22T/BHS C22w. I found them to be of good quality with the major down side being average brake tracks. Brake pads seem to pick up a little more flecks of rim wall then Velocity I had prior.

I would recommend either the Velocity or Kinlin above Stans because of rim width.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Thanks for the responses, I think I'll go with the Velocity. I'm also going to talk with TWEhttp://www.twebikewheels.com.au/ who have a great reputation for MTB wheels.