Bikes!

Tubeless Bontrager CX0 on Stans Alpha rims

Hi

i have been running my Trek CrossRip Elite since last August and have covered over 2000 miles since then. During that time, I have had an average of about 1-2 punctures a week running the stock wheels with the standard tyres and CX0's over the last 1000 miles or so.

I run tubeless on my MTB's and wanted to do this on my CX, so I have bought myself a set of Hope wheels using their Pro II Evo Straight Pull hubs with Stans Alpha rims.

When we pumped them up to about 50-60 psi yesterday they seemed to seat really nicely, however with one last pump the tyres popped off the rims with a huge bang and a good sprinking of tyre jizz all over the place!

We tried again and left them overnight at 35 psi, they kept their air and all seems good, I pumped them up to 50 psi and everything still seems great. However, I am a little apprehensive running them on the road, which is going to be their primary use (rough paths and some off road included).

Have any of you had success running the CX0's on the Alpha rims in the past, am I worrying about nothing?

Ideally I'd like to run 60 psi, I realise the tyres aren't a tubeless specific tyre but this hasn't stopped me in the past with MTB tyres and they are rated to, I believe to be 85psi.

If anyone has any experience of similar issues I'd be really interested in hearing them and very appreciative.
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have blown some tires off rims. I wouldn't think that makes my advice good, but I think you need some advice from somebody before you go out on those tires at 50.

Once you blow them off they will blow off easier the next time, so take about 10 psi off the top for that, which puts you at 40-50, which if you aren't sure where they blew off means around 40. Just 'cause they stay on the rim in the garage doesn't mean they won't blow off when you load them.

The 85 psi max is only with tubes, which are holding the bead on the rim. You can buy some tubeless ready tires and go by the max they say on the sidewall for tubeless, less a few psi if I were you.

Bikes!
    Thanks for your input, it is appreciated.

What tubeless specific tyre options do we have?
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have only tried the carbon bead hutchinson piranha and stan's raven.

The hutchinson's are great because the bead is carbon and I don't think it would blow off at 100 psi. They don't make them like that anymore but I would still recommend the new ones for tubeless sight unseen because they have been doing it longer than anybody.

The stan's kind of sucks because it burps over rocks. That may be down to my rims, but IDK because they are tubeless ready. I am comfortable at 45psi with this tire, which I think is the max listed on the tire. 60 would scare me, but that is just a mental thing, I don't know where it would actually blow.

People with much more experience than me wrote this article,

http://www.cxmagazine.com/going-tube...ecommendations

which may not exactly apply because they are focusing on low psi, not the upper end you are talking about.

Bikes!
    Thank you for the link, that all makes a lot of sense.

I have read of people using the Bonty's with success so I think, for now, I am going to try running slightly lower psi than I usually do. I'm not even sure that 50-60 psi is necessary on a bike that hits quite hard going and rough paths as well as the odd excursion off road?

I'm pretty sure that I used to run 45 when I first started my commuting, over time I increased the pressure as I became a smoother rider and didn't mind the harsher ride in return for a few seemingly saved seconds.

We'll soon see I guess. Failing that I will look at the Piranhas. I've also been looking at Clement tyres but they cost mega bucks!
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have been running some Bontrager CX0's 700x38's tubeless for about 800 miles without any issues at all. I am running them on some WTB Speeddisc AM wheels. I generally run them between 35 and 45 psi and don't think I would really want to run them any higher than that. My rides consist of pavement, gravel and some light singletrack.

Bikes!
    This is good to know thanks. I'm 215 lbs so I'm hoping that about 45 will be enough, only time will tell, I'll fit the wheels to the CrossRip tomorrow....
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite