mtbr member
    Aug 2011

TRP CX9s with Shimano 6600 Ultegra Brifters

Yesterday's ride was the last straw. Between the lack of braking power and terrible fork judder the cantis have to go. Yes I do know that properly set up catilever brakes work well, should not cause front fork brake judder etc. but I have grown weary of playing around with my canti brakes and had no such problems with the 10+ years I used V brakes on my mt. bike before switching to disc. I am willing to deal with the mud pack problems of the lesser clearance V brakes and consider this issue to be a no brainer trade off for brakes that actually work.

I just purchased a set of TRP CX9s off Amazon for $98.00 but I will be using them with Ultegra 6600 brifters / not the new 6700s. I know the 6700s are suppose to work well with the CX9s with no need for a in line barrel adjuster but the 6700s use a different lever pull ratio vs. the older 6600s. Does anyone know whether I need to use a barrel adjuster or is there some sort of cam that I can use or will the 6600 work ok with the CX9 without taking up additional cable?

Looking foward to being able to drive hard into a downhill corner rather than braking way before the apex and having my front fork shake so bad that I worry about my fillings coming out of my teeth!!
    Last edited by Cusco; 10-02-2011 at 08:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    TRP has a new version of mini v-brakes designed for lower cable pull of older shimano shifters (like your 6600) and SRAM shifters. The new version is called the 8.4 and would work better with your setup but they are pretty hard to come by at the moment since they just came out as cross season is starting. A number of people have used the 9.0 with a setup like yours and they work fine. You may need the in-line barrel and modulation won't be as good. I don't think you'll regret making the switch.

I have the 8.4 on my bike with sram levers and they work great. Clearance is sufficient for anything I usually ride in. Power is much improved over my old Euro X mags and brake shutter is gone.

More Torque
    I'm using the CX9s with one 9 speed DA brake/shifter, and one old school Ultegra brake lever. They work fine, though I can tell that the leverage ratios are not ideally matched between the brakes and the brake levers. The feel is a bit spongy, and there is not a ton of clearance between the rim and brake pads.

Having said that, I had XTR cantis on prior, and I don't regret the purchase at all. Power is much improved, and the brake cable routing is better, especially on the front. I installed two in-line barrel adjusters, as I'm very picky as to the amount of lever throw before pad contact.

I am, however, looking forward to discs being standard fare on CX bikes.

Good luck with your setup, and let us know how it works out for you.

-D