Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Trek CrossRip Elite

Does anyone own a Trek Cross Rip Elite? I am thinking of buying one but I cannot find one in any bike shop so I would like to have some input regarding this bike.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    What do you plan on using it for?
    It's more of a commuter bike that a cyclocross bike.

mtbr member
    Mostly for paved rail trails/ green ways and when vacationing on trails that are paved and stone dust.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Then it, along with a Specialized Tri Cross....would be a good bike for you.

mtbr member
    You like this more than the Trek? I liked the fork clearance on the Trek and it can accommodate a 29 inch wheel, not that I would be considering switching.

mtbr member
    The CrossRip seems really nice for the money. Components are a little low end but the frame and fork along with the massive tire clearance open up a lot of possibilities down the road.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Both take "29" wheels....a 29 wheel is the same as a 700 road wheel.
    I don't " like" either of them...as in they are pretty much the same bikes...pretty good lower priced, commuter/ path bikes.
    Either will be fine for what you want to do with it.
    Don't over think it. You obviously like it...buy it and ride it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The crossrip elite is pretty killer. I would not use it for cross racing, as the geo is a bit relaxed. But the component spec for the money is not bad. The hayes brakes are nice looking and work extremely well(huge upgrade from the bb5's on the base model). The carbon fork is a bit flexy, which is nice on this style of bike as you are looking more for comfort than speed. I have put about 20 miles on one and it is a fun utilitarian bike that just likes to be ridden.

mtbr member
    It is between the Specialized Elite and the Trek but they are virtually the same bike.
    I will go with the Trek since the geometry is a little better suited to my size.

How is the shifting on this bike? I know this setup is not the best but I do not want
    to spend a ton of money since my main ride is a FS
    Superfly.

Thanks!

jrm
    mtbr member

Cool looking bike

Looks like the big 3 are beginning to acknowledge the gravel-multi terrain market. Consider buying the bike from a shop that offers free or discounted tune ups/service and have them zero the shifting in for you. A lot of peoples shifting problems are due to technique. Youll figure it out.

mtbr member
    That is good advice, as well as keeping the drive train clean.

The only thing I am really uncertain about are the tires. They appear to be real road tires and although I will be riding mostly on pavement, it will be paved rail trails so the pavement is lumpy and rough.

I was thinking of asking them to change them out with some fast rolling/cyclocross, small knobby tires.

Advice would be greatly appreciated!

jrm
    mtbr member

There are a number of all terrain/CX

tires out there. I really like the 35c Clement MSO CX all terrain tire.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Guys I'm new here and a total noob so bear with me.

I placed an order for a 50cm Elite on Xmas Eve, I'm 5'9" with a 30.5" inseam.

The LBS had a 54cm std CrossRip that I test rode and as soon as I sat on it the salesman said It looked long for me. He looked at the frame specs and compared them to the standard road bike and found that the 54cm model had a 56.8cm top tube length(the 50 has a 54.6cm length). After riding the CrossRip he put me on a really nice Domane 2.0 which measured a true 54cm and the fit was much better. The Tiagra components and compact double on the Domane really convinced me to go for the Elite model even though I think the flat black looks better.

If the new Sora components feel half as good as the Tiagra on the Domane I'll be happy. I thought the 2300 stuff on the std bike felt nice compared to some of the crap ive ridden in the past.

I'm a bit nervous about the tires too but I'm going to give them a chance and wear em out before deciding on something else.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The new sora is a world better than last years. And Bike fit is a huge debate and many people have opinions and ideas that make sense. I prefer the long and low aproach... which can be achieved on either size that you pick. But the smaller size(50) will make you feel a bit more in control and promote power moves and be a bit more lively. But you may want to swap the stem to get yourself a bit longer and lower. The 54 may feel a bit more stable and apear to be a better fit with less seat post protruding, but with the sloping top tube there is goig to be a bit of post sticking out to achieve proper fit. Fit is a very personal thing. so let the sales man know how you are feeling.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I picked up the bike today and couldn't be happier. After riding both the 54 and 50 I chose the 50 Elite. The smaller frame just felt more nimble and stable under low speed conditions and didnt seem to give up any stability at speed.

The Elite is a step up from the standard CrossRip in every way. I could tell very little difference between the new Sora components and the Tiagra on the Domane I test road previously. The Hayes brakes are very smooth and stopped every bit as good or better than the BB5 brakes on the standard model.

The only negative I can think of so far is the seat is hard and hurts my pelvis a bit. Might havde to change the seat.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i just ordered my 50 cm cross rip elite a few days ago.

i wish the top tube was an actual 50cm and not a 54 cm.

but once i get the bike and see.

i will know if i goofed.
    can't really do anything else though,
    since that is smallest cross bike model with discs.

mtbr member
    The size should not be a problem, you have some adjustment in the cockpit length with the saddle, and if you cannot get enough adjustment there, the stem could be changed.

Let me know how you like the bike and please post a photo!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i am small and ride a 52 cm road bike

mtbr member
    Did the bike shop fit you?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    4cm is only 1.57 inches. Like mentioned above there should be no problem getting the bike to fit you.

Heres a couple pics from yesterdays 8 mile ride. Couldn't be happier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek CrossRip Elite-img_02232.jpg  

Trek CrossRip Elite-img_02242.jpg  

mtbr member
    The bike looks great and so does the scenery, I really miss Wilmington!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i have over 40 years race experience.
    i can even ride something a little big.
    but i wanted something i could really ride and handle with ease
    and i wanted disc brakes more than anything

those pix make me think the bike will be just fine.
    it is small
    and just has a long-er top tube than other/standard cross race bikes
    which can be fixed with a short stem.
    if i even need a change at all.

eye candy. now even more anxious.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks, its nice when it's not 100 degrees out!

Bike rode great, it had rained yesterday and was pretty sloppy.The bike handled the rougest gravel road section I could find with ease. It's all sand here so bigger tires will be a must for any real single track. I'm also 210lb so I'm no lightweight.

mtbr member
    You will be fine, if need be it will amount to minor adjustments, you will love the bike!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    how is the pedal / front tire overlap ?
    i am hoping the longer top tube is the blessing in disguise
    to avoiding tip of shoes touching front tire in cornering

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast