Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    We just bought a 2014 CrossRip Elite for my wife.

Does anyone know the weight of the stock Bontrager TLR wheelset? We're wondering if it's worth it to upgrade to something lighter.

Thank you.
    '15 Niner RLT 9
    '13 Pugsley Necromancer
    '13 Bad Boy 5
    '09 F29 2
    '08 Rush SL 5Z (650b)
    '00 F2000SL

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by essinem4130 View Post
    It really is easy to ride for long distances. Please post how you like the Thudbuster, I've been contemplating getting one along with a Brooks seat to really make the bike comfortable.

I changed the cranks last week to Tiagra compacts after having some creaking issues when powering up short, steep ascents and I have to say it was worth the investment. The bike feels quite a bit stiffer under power and shifts quicker and smoother.

After racking up some miles on my new Thudbuster ST, I can give it a ringing endorsement. The travel is less pronounced than the LT I have on my Fatboy, but it does a good job concealing the cracks and expansion joints as you go down the road. No noticable pedal bob either. The weight gain is less than 100 grams as the stock SSR post feels like it is made out of lead. The only negative aside from the small weight penalty is the offset, which combined with the long top tube on the Crossrip has me running my seat almost all the way forward, which could be an issue if you are short of arms.
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert
    '15 Crossrip Ltd

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    After racking up some miles on my new Thudbuster ST, I can give it a ringing endorsement. The travel is less pronounced than the LT I have on my Fatboy, but it does a good job concealing the cracks and expansion joints as you go down the road. No noticable pedal bob either. The weight gain is less than 100 grams as the stock SSR post feels like it is made out of lead. The only negative aside from the small weight penalty is the offset, which combined with the long top tube on the Crossrip has me running my seat almost all the way forward, which could be an issue if you are short of arms.
    Yep I like the thudbuster on mine as well. It's a shame it adds so much weight, but the vibration relief on my lower back is well worth it
    '15 Straggler

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Pics of my LTD below. Waiting for my Salsa Cowbell 2 bars to arrive in next week or so.

https://imgur.com/a/A5OAc#0
    '15 Straggler

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by valiant1974 View Post

Does anyone know the weight of the stock Bontrager TLR wheelset? We're wondering if it's worth it to upgrade to something lighter.

Thank you.
    I don't have the weight off hand for the wheel set though personally I would lose the SSr seat post and evoke saddle off the bat. lower investment for a good amount of weight lost.
    His Hers
    2014 Trek CrossRip 2015 Trek Lexa
    2012 Trek Rumblefish 2013 Sette Reken

Oh Yeah Baby

Thank you.
    I have been looking for the weight of the TLR wheels as well. Two nights ago I mounted 28mm Gatorskins on my 2 month old CR Comp to save weight. The stock wheelset felt pretty heavy in my hands.

I have already been discussing options with Dustin @ Southern Wheelworks.
    Misfit Psycles diSSent
    Trek CrossRip Comp

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    +1. Switching to a carbon post will shave close to a half pound. I was amazed at how heavy it felt- I had a hard time telling which was heavier the Thudbuster or SSR, until I threw them on the scale.
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert
    '15 Crossrip Ltd

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrribbits View Post
    Pics of my LTD below. Waiting for my Salsa Cowbell 2 bars to arrive in next week or so.

https://imgur.com/a/A5OAc#0
    Sweet looking bike!

I bought the Clement X'Plor MSOs 700x40c for my wife's CrossRip.
    '15 Niner RLT 9
    '13 Pugsley Necromancer
    '13 Bad Boy 5
    '09 F29 2
    '08 Rush SL 5Z (650b)
    '00 F2000SL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shocker99 View Post
    I have been looking for the weight of the TLR wheels as well. Two nights ago I mounted 28mm Gatorskins on my 2 month old CR Comp to save weight. The stock wheelset felt pretty heavy in my hands.

I have already been discussing options with Dustin @ Southern Wheelworks.

If anyone weighs the wheelset, post the results here for us please. I'm watching some used Stan's NoTubes wheels on eBay and I'm trying to justify the purchase.
    '15 Niner RLT 9
    '13 Pugsley Necromancer
    '13 Bad Boy 5
    '09 F29 2
    '08 Rush SL 5Z (650b)
    '00 F2000SL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    +1. Switching to a carbon post will shave close to a half pound. I was amazed at how heavy it felt- I had a hard time telling which was heavier the Thudbuster or SSR, until I threw them on the scale.
    Good advice on the seatpost... I swapped the Bontrager post for an extra Easton EC70 I had. It made a huge difference.
    '15 Niner RLT 9
    '13 Pugsley Necromancer
    '13 Bad Boy 5
    '09 F29 2
    '08 Rush SL 5Z (650b)
    '00 F2000SL

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    If anyone weighs the wheelset, post the results here for us please. I'm watching some used Stan's NoTubes wheels on eBay and I'm trying to justify the purchase.
    I just bought Aksium One Disc on Easter sale for $239 shipped. If Biketiresdirect ever gets my tires in stock, then I'll get some accurate weights. (ordering chain whip too. Should have ordered it with Wheelset, I wasn't thinking. A duh moment..... actually the Aksium was a spur of the moment duh thing. Based on price...
    Kysrium one pro disk good thing, Stans Alpha 340 good thing, Stan's Grail good thing.

Aksium one disc are still pretty heavy 1900g + something.

How ever, It will be nice to have two wheelsets on hand, summer/winter. Or even 28's on one, 38's on the other. and swap as needed. only $40 more for another SRAM cassette.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclinglymie View Post
    I just bought Aksium One Disc on Easter sale for $239 shipped. If Biketiresdirect ever gets my tires in stock, then I'll get some accurate weights. (ordering chain whip too. Should have ordered it with Wheelset, I wasn't thinking. A duh moment..... actually the Aksium was a spur of the moment duh thing. Based on price...
    Kysrium one pro disk good thing, Stans Alpha 340 good thing, Stan's Grail good thing.

Aksium one disc are still pretty heavy 1900g + something.

How ever, It will be nice to have two wheelsets on hand, summer/winter. Or even 28's on one, 38's on the other. and swap as needed. only $40 more for another SRAM cassette.
    Thanks for the input on the Aksium wheelset. I purchased a set of Hope Hoops with Stan's Crest 29er wheels. I will ask the shop to weigh the OEM wheelset and post the results here.
    '15 Niner RLT 9
    '13 Pugsley Necromancer
    '13 Bad Boy 5
    '09 F29 2
    '08 Rush SL 5Z (650b)
    '00 F2000SL

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Thanks for the input on the Aksium wheelset. I purchased a set of Hope Hoops with Stan's Crest 29er wheels. I will ask the shop to weigh the OEM wheelset and post the results here.
    Any update?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hein View Post
    Any update?
    In case anyone still wants to know, the stock wheelset off my 2015 Crossrip LTD was 2.17 kg / 4.8 lbs.

That was without the bolt on skewers and tires.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Anyone tried to put 27.5 mtb wide wheels on a crossrip frame?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sasebt View Post
    Anyone tried to put 27.5 mtb wide wheels on a crossrip frame?

Like WTB 650x47 Horizon tire? I am interested in if they fit! but I am not going to buy the stuff just to see.

However, If I did and they didn't fit.... It would be a good excuse to ditch the Crossrip for a Soma wolverine or something.

Meh it sucks being on a budget..... hence the Crossrip elite.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    BTW the Horizon 650x47 has same diameter as a 700x28.

And we can and do run much larger tires on Crossrips. Like Clements X'Plor MSO 700x40 size.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Im thinking maybe giant revolt? The specs say you can put a 2.0 29er on it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I normally like Giant, I hated the Revolt, and didn't like the Anyroad either. The newer Toughroad is really nice. None of them really match the Road Geo though. Revolt felt way dead. Anyroad is too much like a sit up bike. The Toughroad.... Well I wished I had miles and miles of fireroads Plus off the beaten paths to ride on. For my purpose it doesn't fit the need, but awesome bike.

While I often want a flat bar bike for town/city stuff. I really want a bike that will go the 20 miles there and 20 miles back also. (at a decent pace without draining the fuel tank) Now, When I ride my Crossrip I just shoot for a 15 mph average and call it good.

My biggest gripe about the crossrip is still the frame. I replace the ST BB with SM-BBR60 Outboard bearings. It helped a lot but not enough.
    So I suppose for me the only way to fix my issue is to move from a $1,200 bike to a $2,200 bike.

specialized AWOL will also fit a 29x2.0

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by crankflips View Post
    In case anyone still wants to know, the stock wheelset off my 2015 Crossrip LTD was 2.17 kg / 4.8 lbs.

That was without the bolt on skewers and tires.

Did you happen to eyeball the interior width of the stock rims? Mine are currently filled with orangeseal, or I'd check

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
    Did you happen to eyeball the interior width of the stock rims? Mine are currently filled with orangeseal, or I'd check
    Inner rim width on the stock rims is 17mm.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234