Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Great to see some good information on the Crossrip. I plan on buying the base model because I really like the matte black color. Then, I am switching the drivetrain off of a broken bike onto the Crossrip. Will be a full build mix of 105 and Ultegra parts.
    Trek 69er SS (in progress), Trek Superfly, GT Force Carbon Expert, Trek Madone 6.2

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by heyitsmebob View Post
    Great to see some good information on the Crossrip. I plan on buying the base model because I really like the matte black color. Then, I am switching the drivetrain off of a broken bike onto the Crossrip. Will be a full build mix of 105 and Ultegra parts.
    Post pics when it's done. It sounds like a nice build.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    I work at a Trek shop and am conflicted with the Crossrip. Seeing so many other companies are unveiling high-end disc cross bikes and Trek seems like they just dipped their toe in the water with this bike. I was hoping to see a competitive disc cross bike, more like a Cronus CX with discs not a fitness bike with a drop bar. If you like the bike and it works for you thats great but I was hoping to see more from Trek. They better step it up next year, discs are just getting too popular to put off releasing a competitive bike.
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    everything i was working on
    to get this bike.
    just did not transpire.

mtbr member
    any other crossrip updates? Looking into this bike as well as a secondary fun bike

mtbr member
    I ended up buying a Cannondale, got a good price on a left over and went with it since the components were much better than the Trek but does not have disc brakes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Weight

HI!

I am considering buying a Crossrip.
    Can anyone tell me the weight of the crossrip / elite please, I cant find it online, and my dealer cant order the bike just to look at.

Also I prefer the black color of the "normal" version to the Elite. How "bad" are the standard components, or how much better is the elite here? The thread does sound very much in favour of the elite components.

Would it be feasible to update the components later, or would you say that makes no sense?

Thanks so much,
    Thomas

mtbr member
    I went with a Cannondale since it was a left over and the component group was about two levels better than the Trek and the price was slightly higher than the Trek.

I am very happy with the bike! I think mine weights about 22 lbs and is a 58cm frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    My Elite weighs 26lb and is a 50cm frame. I too prefer the black color, but having ridden both bikes the Elite does have the better components and is worth the very small price increase.

Are there bikes out there with better components? Sure, from what I saw you either have to give up something (like the carbon fork and/or disc brakes) or pay significantly more. And those more expensive high end bikes are usually more competition oriented, something I have zero interest in. I bought this bike purely as a fitness and exploration bike. I also dont care for many of these overly extravagant color schemes many bikes have today. In my opinion both the standard and Elite version look great.

I have ridden the hell out of this bike and have had ZERO issues or broken parts.

Is it worth buying the standard model and upgrading? No, your money would be better spent elsewhere. Something like the Specialized Tricross comp disc compact would be nice and comes in black. But msrp is $1950.....

I forgot to add that I've got a few add ons, hybrid spd/platform pedals, a small bag under the seat and a pocket on the top tube i use for my phone. I'm assuming these have added some weight, how much I dunno.
    Last edited by Clint Beastwood; 04-05-2013 at 10:19 PM. Reason: additional info

mtbr member
    I went with the Cannondale to get the better drivetrain/shifter set since that is a very significant and interactive component on a bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Rick

In my limited experience with the bikes i've rode and test rode at the LBS I just didn't see that much improvement with the ultra high end drivetrain/comps as some of you guys claim.

Brakes are a very significant and interactive component on a bike too and I personally saw more of an improvement with disc brakes over traditional brakes than I did with more expensive comps and one more gear. Sometimes I think that folk get carried away with having to have the top of the line stuff and have to have the baddest bike on the block if you know what I mean.

Did you ever get the brake chatter issue solved?

To each is own. Like I said, it seems you have to give up something to get another in this class of bike unless you want to pay significantly more cash. Honestly, the only way you're going to get everything exactly the way you want is to build a bike yourself.

mtbr member
    I am sure I would have been very happy with the CrossRipp and i would have ordered one had I not had the opportunity to get this Cannonade CX bike, for a great price.

I am very happy with the bike and the bike shop. The brake chatter resolved itself, I guess the pads had to break in and I did give it a chance. The bike shop wanted me to immediately bring it back so they could take a look but now it is a non issue.

The bike is great, shifting is very smooth, quiet and effortless, just what I was hoping for.I love the tires, they are highly rated for both road and trail, Schwalbe, Sammy Slicks and they are awesome, just what I was looking for. I am really liking this bike but it is my backup for when the trails are wet or muddy. My first love is my FS Trek XC bike however the Cannonade is a really nice bike and I am enjoying having two very different bikes, kind-of the best of both worlds.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rickcin View Post
    I am sure I would have been very happy with the CrossRipp and i would have ordered one had I not had the opportunity to get this Cannonade CX bike, for a great price.

I am very happy with the bike and the bike shop. The brake chatter resolved itself, I guess the pads had to break in and I did give it a chance. The bike shop wanted me to immediately bring it back so they could take a look but now it is a non issue.

The bike is great, shifting is very smooth, quiet and effortless, just what I was hoping for.I love the tires, they are highly rated for both road and trail, Schwalbe, Sammy Slicks and they are awesome, just what I was looking for. I am really liking this bike but it is my backup for when the trails are wet or muddy. My first love is my FS Trek XC bike however the Cannonade is a really nice bike and I am enjoying having two very different bikes, kind-of the best of both worlds.
    Hey guys I'm a noob looking for a little advice (cliffs at the bottom ). I have a Hardtail 29er MTB and am looking to get on something a little faster and more road appropriate, although I don't want a true road bike as a lot of the riding in my area has various types of terrain and I dont want to be constricted to just smooth pavement. Naturally I've come across cyclocross and it seems to be what I'm looking for.

My LBS has a leftover cannondale CX that rickin picked up, and the crossrip. Because of what I've read in this thread I thought the cannondale would be a better buy due to better components. The salesman at my LBS instructed me that a true cyclocross bike has a gear set up a lot more like a mountain bike and wont be as fast as a bike like the cross rip, which he said isn't actually a cyclocross bike . Admittedly I'm not 100% sure what he was saying, but basically the road bikes have bigger gears and thus allow for the bikes to move much faster with less effort.

Being a noob this is the first I've heard of this concept. Now knowing I don't want to get on a true roadbike, but definitely want to be able to move faster than I'm currently capable of on my MTB, would you guys suggest the crossrip over the cannondale? I would like to have the option to race cyclocross at some point in the future, but that is literally just a thought in my head and I'd hate to give up a lot of speed now for that option that I may never fulfill.

My apologies for the ramble and thank you in advance for any insight.

Cliffs: Is a true cyclocross bike going to be markedly slower than the crossrip to the point where it would warrant the crossrip purchase over a cyclocross bike when looking for speed?

mtbr member
    I am not qualified to answer your question regarding which bike is faster. I guess it depends on the specific gear ratios and if you are referring to high end speed, I guess that would vary depending on where you were racing, the specific elevation changes?

Certain gearing would benefit specific terrain conditions and Ido not have enough knowledge to be able to make a recommendation. I went with the Cannondale since several bike shops had told me the components were much better, specifically the Shimano 105 group that came with the Cannondale.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I looked up the specs on the bikes. Cannondale that Rick has uses a 46/36 double up front and a close ratio 12-28 10 speed cassette. The CrossRip Elite uses a 50/34 double up front and wide ratio mountain bike style 11-32 9 speed cassette. The standard CrossRip uses a 52/42/30 triple with a 12-26 8 speed cassette.

Both the standard CrossRip and CrossRip Elite have a faster top gear and a lower low gear than the Cannondale. The standard CrossRip achieves this using the Triple crankset while the CrossRip Elite manages this with its wide ratio mountain bike style cassette out back.

The Cannondale however with its close ratio gearing wont drop your cadence as much with each gear change. This also all may wash out being the Cannondale is lighter. The Cannondale is definitely the more race inspired bike. The CrossRip is more of a jack of all trades bike.

Rick

I'm shopping for a mountain bike now. You are right, these two style of bikes really are the best of both worlds.

mtbr member
    What are you looking to buy, a hardtail or a full suspension?
    I do not know what single track riding is available near Wilmington.
    There are some great places in Asheville and next month we will be going to Virginia to bike in the Blue Ridge Mountain area.
    For mountain biking, I go with the 29 ers.

mtbr member
    Great explanation regarding the gear differences between the two bikes!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thank you guys both for your insight. I'm still not entirely sure which would be best suited for my desires, but from the information gathered here I'm pretty sure I can't go too far wrong with either one.

I love how light the cannondale is along with the option to race cyclocross at some point (and that I'll be getting a solid discount on a 2012) but I also really like the crossrip having two sets of brake levers and that I was told it would likely be faster.

I guess I have some thinking to do . Thank you guys again!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    No problem. Honestly you can't go wrong either way, your usage will determine which bike is better suited for you.

Rick

I wasn't aware of these until a few days ago,

Blue Clay Bike Park | Cape Fear SORBA | Wilmington, NC

Brunswick Nature Park | Cape Fear SORBA | Wilmington, NC

From what I understand Blue Clay cycle park has held Cyclocross events too.

As far as a mountain bike I'm looking at 29er hardtails. Don't think I want to go straight to a full suspension bike. Especially considering I'm trying to build a stable of decent bikes for the entire family. I don't think a FS bike is going to pull any street duty.

Been looking at the Trek Mamba and Cobia as well as others. I'm not stuck on Trek by any means but the bike shop closest to me is a big Trek dealer. They do deal with Cannondale and Giant too, so I'll be looking at those as well.

mtbr member
    I have a 2013 Trek Mamba with upgrades at 27 pounds. Can't go wrong with it but if u have the budget go for the cobia. The amount of upgrades it has is better cost sufficient than upgrading the mamba. I spent almost 1k in upgrades when I could of put $2000 into a better spec'ed bike like the X-cal. Hope this makes sense =) Also looking at the crossrip elite for some urban riding since Spring Sales are popping up everywhere.

mtbr member
    OMG, I think I may have found my next bike. I was looking for something very similar to the crossrip (Urban road riding bike that can take on a commute and abuse) Cyclocross came to mine because I love the "best of both worlds" concept but found this: Specialized Bicycle Components More for road use than mountain but comes with discs for those wet, muddy, seasons. They also have a tricross as well for more mountain trail use. What do you guys think? Currently it is on sale $1100 at my LBS.

mtbr member
    I really liked my Cobia, it was a great bike for the money!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ncruz408 View Post
    OMG, I think I may have found my next bike. I was looking for something very similar to the crossrip (Urban road riding bike that can take on a commute and abuse) Cyclocross came to mine because I love the "best of both worlds" concept but found this: Specialized Bicycle Components More for road use than mountain but comes with discs for those wet, muddy, seasons. They also have a tricross as well for more mountain trail use. What do you guys think? Currently it is on sale $1100 at my LBS.
    Looks like a nice ride. Personally I would rather have the Tricross over it though, and I would take the CrossRip Elite over all but the Tricross comp disc compact. Unfortunately that bike has an msrp of $1950.

My worry about the Secteur is that its a road bike with discs. How is it going to handle in crappy conditions let alone gravel roads and single track. It has 28c tires, personally I would want nothing less than 32c tires on it and I'm considering putting 35c tires on my CrossRip after yesterday at the mountain bike park I went to. In my opinion the CrossRip Elite is a better buy, pretty much the same drivetrain and components but has hidden cables and one step up in brakes with secondary brake levers. The geometry is more suited to the type of riding we've been talking about here and has 32c tires already with room for 45c.

Ultimately you are the only one who can decide. Go in and ride them, buy whichever one you prefer and/or fits your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by rickcin View Post
    I really liked my Cobia, it was a great bike for the money!
    Thats what I've been reading, everyone has had good things to say about it. I'll be honest though the bike that I really want is the Superfly AL Elite. And after yesterdays tough workout at Blue Clay bike park on the CrossRip it won't be long before a nice new 29er finds it's way home with me.
    Last edited by Clint Beastwood; 04-12-2013 at 06:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Beastwood View Post
    Looks like a nice ride. Personally I would rather have the Tricross over it though, and I would take the CrossRip Elite over all but the Tricross comp disc compact. Unfortunately that bike has an msrp of $1950.

My worry about the Secteur is that its a road bike with discs. How is it going to handle in crappy conditions let alone gravel roads and single track. It has 28c tires, personally I would want nothing less than 32c tires on it and I'm considering putting 35c tires on my CrossRip after yesterday at the mountain bike park I went to. In my opinion the CrossRip Elite is a better buy, pretty much the same drivetrain and components but has hidden cables and one step up in brakes with secondary brake levers. The geometry is more suited to the type of riding we've been talking about here and has 32c tires already with room for 45c.

Ultimately you are the only one who can decide. Go in and ride them, buy whichever one you prefer and/or fits your needs.

Thats what I've been reading, everyone has had good things to say about it. I'll be honest though the bike that I really want is the Superfly AL Elite. And after yesterdays tough workout at Blue Clay bike park on the CrossRip it won't be long before a nice new 29er finds it's way home with me.
    Just tested the Secteur and you are absolutely right. The ride was very harsh compared to a CX bike. I did test a Raleigh RX and it was comfortable just the gearing was not so great at 46/36 11-28. Also, the second brakes are very useful on a CX bike. Wish I had a dealer in which carries the Crossrip to test.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ncruz408 View Post
    I agree with Clint. This bike is a road bike with the same drivetrain as the CrossRip Elite.
    I wanted a bike to compliment my Mtn bike, one I could ride when the trails are wet and muddy. With a XC bike, I could use it on pavement, stone dust, hardpack or some of the longer trails that have those combination of surfaces.
    A road bike is good if you are only going to ride on roads alongside traffic, just not for me,at least not most of the time.
    I am loving my two different styles of bikes, a XC and a FS, what is better than having options? Yesterday was a paved rail trail for 20 miles and today will be a mountain run for about 10 miles!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast