Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Beastwood View Post
    rickcin, have you thought about what tires you were going to upgrade to? The stock wheels "technically" won't allow anything bigger, although I've heard people say they have ran 35c tires on 15mm inner wheels. My primary concern is puncture resistance, especially with tires this small. Very few if any offroad knobbies offer the level of protection the stock tires or the Schwalbes I mentioned.

I think the solution is to get a second wheel set like lunna is doing. I wouldn't be nearly concerned with flats/rim damage with something like 38c-45c tires. I'd love to have two sets of wheels/tires to switch back and forth depending on conditions.

One thing about this bike is it doesn't have quick release wheels. I don't know whether that's something I need or not. Thoughts?
    I would rather not have another set of wheels, especially since I have a FS bike. I would much rather have cyclocross tires for the trails that are part pavement and part dirt or stone dust. Also, a different tire will add to the suspension of the bike and provide a better ride.

I like;
    Clement MSO CX
    Vittoria CrossXG
    Continental Ciclo X King

However my favorite is the Bontrager CX 3 which is hard case and has 120tpi

The wheels do not have the quick release feature???? If not, I wonder why and hope that a member could explain why, there must be a logical reason!!

Rick

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Evidently there may some issues with the strength of the quick release and disc brakes??? If its a matter of strength or just Trek being overkill safety wise I'm okay with it. Honestly the arrangement Trek has on this bike looks really easy, all i need is an allen wrench.

check these links

Broken Fork

Disk brake and Quick Release problem

Brandon

mtbr member
    Evidently there may some issues with the strength of the quick release and disc brakes??? If its a matter of strength or just Trek being overkill safety wise I'm okay with it. Honestly the arrangement Trek has on this bike looks really easy, all i need is an allen wrench.

check these links

Broken Fork

Disk brake and Quick Release problem

Brandon
    Wow, this is crazy, I never knew such a problem existed!! Now you have me really thing about my FS Trek Superfly which has great stopping power, I guess perhaps too good!

So I guess the bottom line is to easy on the brakes, when possible and make sure the skewers are tight? I gotta believe the mountain bike I ride is made tougher and meant to be ridded harder than I will ever do.

I was never a fan of rim brakes and have always liked discs and this is one reason I favor the Trek Cross Rip over other Cyclocross bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I couldn't be happier with the brakes, they stop extremely well. It almost feels like a motorcycle to me but without any front end dive under hard braking. The biggest differences I've noticed is the consistency and zero fade. Next would be the silence in all conditions, ie no squeaking or pulsing when wet.

To me, this is a tough ass road bike with a carbon fork that I can treat it like the urban brawler type bikes im used to riding. I've ridden this bike at work with it's gravel roads with rock the size of small boulders and puddles 8" deep. I road it in the city dodging traffic and the brakes stopped my 210lb with authority to avoid a car turning right into an intersection I was going to cross.

As tough as this bike is one of the things I've been most impressed with is how fast and effortlessly this bike rolls. It does not pedal much harder than the Domane 2.0 I rode. I have NEVER covered ground on a bicycle like this. It's still light and doesn't work the crap out of you!

I know I've seen monstercross/cyclocross bike on here with discs and skewers. Maybe with the carbon fork Trek felt like a solid axle would be beneficial?.?.?

mtbr member
    I am sure I will love the bike and certain that Trek has designed it properly so there will not be any issues with the bike.

How do you like the tires when off road? My thought was to ask the bike shop to change out the tires rather than to start riding with the stock tires. What are you thoughts on this?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    My opinion? Ride it. Enjoy it and wear them out.

I have not once felt like I need a more aggressive tread or lacked traction anywhere. The only issue ive ran into is when I really get into the soft stuff the front tire washes out. In my limited experience tread pattern wont do squat for this, the real cure is bigger tires. The only trouble with that is the wheels will only support 32mm tires.

My only concern is that bigger wheels/tires may weight this bike down and numb the handling a bit. Thats why I think biding your(our) time and getting a spare set of wheels to try out tires is a smart move. Big puncture resistant tires are heavy, there are much lighter tires but will they be any more puncture resistant than the one that are on it???

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    These are the tires that come on the bike( the ultimate version in 32c.)

Bontrager: H5 700C (Model #09390)

mtbr member
    Yes, I looked at them many times, on line and I guess they will be okay. I just thought a mini knobby like the Clement that comes standard on the GT Cyclocross. Just thought it might be better for the dirt and stone dust trails, just a little more bite on soft material, but that is just my thinking.

I Think I am going with your recommendation, just take what comes with the bike and wear them out and have a blast.

Thanks - Rick

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Both take "29" wheels....a 29 wheel is the same as a 700 road wheel.
    I don't " like" either of them...as in they are pretty much the same bikes...pretty good lower priced, commuter/ path bikes.
    Either will be fine for what you want to do with it.
    Don't over think it. You obviously like it...buy it and ride it.
    Just out of curiosity, what Cross bike do you like?

mtbr member
    I picked up the bike today and couldn't be happier. After riding both the 54 and 50 I chose the 50 Elite. The smaller frame just felt more nimble and stable under low speed conditions and didnt seem to give up any stability at speed.

The Elite is a step up from the standard CrossRip in every way. I could tell very little difference between the new Sora components and the Tiagra on the Domane I test road previously. The Hayes brakes are very smooth and stopped every bit as good or better than the BB5 brakes on the standard model.

The only negative I can think of so far is the seat is hard and hurts my pelvis a bit. Might havde to change the seat.
    BTW, when you start looking at new saddles, if you haven't bought one already, check out the WTB saddles. Many riders love them and it comes standard on the Salsa, Fargo 2.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rickcin View Post
    BTW, when you start looking at new saddles, if you haven't bought one already, check out the WTB saddles. Many riders love them and it comes standard on the Salsa, Fargo 2.
    Thanks, I ended up buying a Serfas Mx-2 Dorado from my LBS. I get a discount on items for a certain period of time after buying the bike from them. So far the seat seems to be a major improvement. It's a performance comfort seat and is a bit wider than the stocker. I spent some more time nailing the seat position and feel like I finally nailed it after tilting the nose of the seat down a bit. The seat does have more cushion but it's not overly padded for those longer rides.

So far I have put about 60 miles or so on the bike. The only things I've had to do is adjust the rear derailleur six clicks out and the front/rear brakes three clicks out each. At the end of the month I'll take it in for an adjustment/service.

I ended up buying a well taken care of 93 Trek MultiTrack hybrid for 140 locally. The frame specs (all black steel) are nearly identical to the CrossRip and has 35c tires on it already. My plans are to switch to drop bars and modern controls. I may put a carbon fork and discs on the front. I'm trying to assemble a fleet of decent bikes for the entire family to ride, no point in having a bunch of crap bikes no one wants to ride!

mtbr member
    I will take a look at the saddle your LBS sold you. I do usually end up changing the stock saddle that comes with the bike to better match up with my specific use of that bike.

I did not order the bike yet, however I bought new shimano clipless pedals that I plan on having on the Trek. I love being clipped in, you become more of a part of the bike and have better control. Like driving a sports car with an automatic transmission, it would be a total waste, at least as far as I am concerned!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Real cars have three pedals!

You've got me looking at pedals/shoes now. I'm looking at something like these:

Shimano PD M530 SLX Trail Clipless Pedal > Components > Pedals, Cleats, Toe Clips, Straps > Pedals | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

OR these:

Shimano XTR M985 Trail Pedal > Components > Pedals, Cleats, Toe Clips, Straps > Pedals | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

What do you think?

What about shoes, any reccomendations??

mtbr member
    That is too funny!!!! Your first ling are the new pedals I bought for the Cross Rip that I have not ordered yet!

The reason I bought these is because I have the Shimnao PD-M647 pedals on my mountain bike and they are virtually the same ones as the PD M530, same mechanism just a slightly smaller surround.

I love those pedals, they are so great, go with them and let me know how you do. Just make sure to practice will you will fall and not get hurt. I rode around on our lawn and I still fell a few times when out riding on a trail. I am totally hooked on being clipped in.

Keep me posted!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Real cars have three pedals!

You've got me looking at pedals/shoes now. I'm looking at something like these:

Shimano PD M530 SLX Trail Clipless Pedal > Components > Pedals, Cleats, Toe Clips, Straps > Pedals | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

OR these:

Shimano XTR M985 Trail Pedal > Components > Pedals, Cleats, Toe Clips, Straps > Pedals | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

What do you think?

What about shoes, any reccomendations??
    What interests you in those two pedals? I see they are basically the same thing, a standard SPD with a half cage around them. In my opinion, the half cage is useless. It adds weight, and provides no benefit. It isnt large enough to use as a platform. I think you need to go extreme one way or the other.
    Ride what the pros use:
    Shimano XTR PD-M980 Race Pedal > Components > Pedals, Cleats, Toe Clips, Straps > Pedals | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

or go full on cage:
    Shimano PD-M545 Pedals > Components > Pedals, Cleats, Toe Clips, Straps > Pedals | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    Hammerheadbikes.com

mtbr member
    The full cage is what I have on my FS bike and it does offer full support as well as being able to pedal without being clipped in for those difficult times on single track.

Shimano claims the reduced cage on the PD M-530 is for mud shedding while they claim it still offers support and some stability. You would also be able to make a short trip without having cleats on.

The PD 530' weigh 455 grams

The XTR M-987 weigh 398 grams and are $100 more than the 530's. For a CX bike, the weight difference is not a factor, at least in my opinion.
    Last edited by rickcin; 01-09-2013 at 05:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    The fact that I'm a total noob and never used clipless pedals is what interests me in these.

I don't want a race version to be my first foray into the clipless pedal world and I don't want 2lb bricks for pedals on this bike either.

Any good options for cleats in wide widths? Only ones I see are Shimano and they are $100 and up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The fact that I'm a total noob and never used clipless pedals is what interests me in these.

I don't want a race version to be my first foray into the clipless pedal world and I don't want 2lb bricks for pedals on this bike either.

Any good options for cleats in wide widths? Only ones I see are Shimano and they are $100 and up.
    In my opinion, if you are using the pedals with cycling shoes as they were both designed, then threre is no need for larger platforms on the pedals. Common SPD or CrankBro pedals are perfect.
    If you are hopping on your bike to spin around the neighborhood with tennis shoes on, you would be fine on the same small SPD pedals.
    In my personal experience I found no extra benefit to the SPD with the surrounding platform. When clipped in, 95% of my shoe's support came from the clip/pedal mechanism, not the surrounding.

As for shoes (which is what I assume you meant) in wide sizes at understandable prices, I'd check out Specialized Mid range shoes.
    Hammerheadbikes.com

mtbr member

I have a wide foot as well! I went to a LBS since the fellow said they could order them for me if they could not come up with store cleats to fit me. He tried a Specialized shoe since the fellow said they have a very wide toe box and he was correct. I left the store with the cleats and the cost was less than $100 and they are super comfortable, a great fit.

I loved being clipped in, you feel like you are more of a part of the bike and seem to have better control, IMO!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    That's what I've been told. One of the guys I talked to pointed out the fact that you can lift the rear of the bike with your feet during jumps which can save the rear tire/rim from damage etc.

The only things I'm concerned about is falling and my left knee, which is in pretty bad shape. I've had to give up running because of it(not like I was a runner). I got into biking for the lower impact on the knees. I heard that some folks had issues with knee pain and some styles of pedals that didnt have enough "float".

I'm going to be patient and go back up to the LBS and try some stuff. There I can physically touch and try things out. Only problem with that is I'm having trouble getting anything done because I've been riding all the time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek CrossRip Elite-img_02432.jpg  

Trek CrossRip Elite-img_02442.jpg  

Holy Land Rider.
    May 2008
    how about small block eight?
    but if you plan to change the tires at a trek dealer, than give i would try out LT3.
    i had a pair which i really liked.
    didnt have a single flat on those, used them for ~10 months.

mtbr member
    That's what I've been told. One of the guys I talked to pointed out the fact that you can lift the rear of the bike with your feet during jumps which can save the rear tire/rim from damage etc.

The only things I'm concerned about is falling and my left knee, which is in pretty bad shape. I've had to give up running because of it(not like I was a runner). I got into biking for the lower impact on the knees. I heard that some folks had issues with knee pain and some styles of pedals that didnt have enough "float".

I'm going to be patient and go back up to the LBS and try some stuff. There I can physically touch and try things out. Only problem with that is I'm having trouble getting anything done because I've been riding all the time.
    Great photos, I guess they are from Wilmington?

Glad you are doing plenty of riding, that is what it is all about, exercise, being out of doors and enjoying the scenery.

You will love being clipped in. It is somewhat of a learning curve but you will get it and love it. I feel it puts less pressure on my body since the motion is more controlled and the tension and compression is always equal. It will become second nature.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Those pics are of the Cape Fear river in Carolina Beach. I posted a few more pics in the Singletrack photo thread too.

It was beautiful all weekend here. I rode over at Wrightsville beach and put another 20 miles on the bike. On one circuit I averaged almost 16mph over 6.5 miles. I'm pretty proud of that fact considering I'm a noob. Everytime I ride I get stronger and faster. It also really helps to have a bike you really want to ride.

mtbr member
    Those pics are of the Cape Fear river in Carolina Beach. I posted a few more pics in the Singletrack photo thread too.

It was beautiful all weekend here. I rode over at Wrightsville beach and put another 20 miles on the bike. On one circuit I averaged almost 16mph over 6.5 miles. I'm pretty proud of that fact considering I'm a noob. Everytime I ride I get stronger and faster. It also really helps to have a bike you really want to ride.
    Sound like you are really enjoying yourself!

Wish I could say the same, My new FS bike has been sitting in my utility room and all I can do is to look at it since the NY weather is not allowing me to ride.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast