Trek CrossRip Elite

Printable View

• 04-14-2013
    LTT777
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcin View Post
    I agree with Clint. This bike is a road bike with the same drivetrain as the CrossRip Elite.
    I wanted a bike to compliment my Mtn bike, one I could ride when the trails are wet and muddy. With a XC bike, I could use it on pavement, stone dust, hardpack or some of the longer trails that have those combination of surfaces.
    A road bike is good if you are only going to ride on roads alongside traffic, just not for me,at least not most of the time.
    I am loving my two different styles of bikes, a XC and a FS, what is better than having options? Yesterday was a paved rail trail for 20 miles and today will be a mountain run for about 10 miles!

Can't agree more. I ended up picking up the Cannondale CAADX and between that and my hard tail 29er I feel I can do just about anything and enjoy both styles of riding very much. It is very rare I ride strictly smooth pavement for an entire ride, so a road bike wasn't even considered. But the CX bike really rips on pavement (and can be made even faster ;) ) and transitions over to gravel,grass, wood plank, and even trail really well. High five!
  • 04-14-2013
    ncruz408
    1 Attachment(s)
    Woot so in love with this bike!
    Woot another rider joins the group! I just picked up my Crossrip Elite. I was debating so much because the only one they had was a 56cm and it was the last day for a 10% discount sale. I rode it and was surprised that it did not feel big on me. Honestly, my 17.5 Trek Mamba 29er feels bigger than this ride. I did not feel stretch out too much and I instantly feel in love with the ride.

Attachment 790696
  • 04-15-2013
    Clint Beastwood
    Sweet!

I've been running 35psi front/rear so far. Worked great even in the root infested singletrack I rode recently.

More pics!
  • 05-14-2013
    domlo90
    The bike holds its own on any trail.

Also, I am in love.
  • 05-14-2013
    ncruz408
    3 Attachment(s)
    More pics =)
    had a chance to shoot more pics of my cross rip elite. Enjoy!
    Attachment 799157Attachment 799158Attachment 799159
  • 05-14-2013
    ncruz408
    Just curious if anyone has done upgrades to their crossrips? If so please share. I just weighed mine with all accessories and it weighs 26 pounds which I think is heavy. Stock I think was around 24.5 for a 56cm.
  • 05-15-2013
    rickcin
    Great looking ride, Enjoy !
  • 05-17-2013
    ncruz408
    Im looking into swapping out the tires for more of a low resistance such as the continental gatorskins at 28c or even the conti gp4000 25c. Any idea if the 25c will fit?
  • 05-20-2013
    Minister
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ncruz408 View Post
    Just curious if anyone has done upgrades to their crossrips? If so please share. I just weighed mine with all accessories and it weighs 26 pounds which I think is heavy. Stock I think was around 24.5 for a 56cm.

I purchased the standard bike knowing I was going to upgrade the components. I upgraded to shimano 105 shifters and derailleur, a new 9 speed cassette, installed my FSA carbon crankset, swapped out the tires to conti gatorskin 32's and added a specialized seat.
    I intend to use the Crossrip for an all around bike plus some short tours so I think the upgrades will suit me well.
  • 05-20-2013
    LTT777
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Minister View Post
    I purchased the standard bike knowing I was going to upgrade the components. I upgraded to shimano 105 shifters and derailleur, a new 9 speed cassette, installed my FSA carbon crankset, swapped out the tires to conti gatorskin 32's and added a specialized seat.
    I intend to use the Crossrip for an all around bike plus some short tours so I think the upgrades will suit me well.

Not so fast buddy. You don't think you can come in here and tell us about that sweet set up and not post pictures do you? We're waiting :)
  • 05-20-2013
    Minister
    Pics
    I will take some pics and post soon.
  • 05-20-2013
    ncruz408
    heheeh. i was looking into upgrading her but was a little hesitant too due to pricing. Debating if I should just save up for a true Endurance bike for rides 50+ miles and use this as my trainer/all around commuter.
  • 05-24-2013
    ncruz408
    Just picked up some road tires which are the Continental Grandprix 4 seasons... Much harsher ride than the stock due to higher pressure at 95psi but did gain 1 mph increase on my avg speed. It was a toss up between a semi slick such as the Kenda Happy Medium/Schwalbe Sammy Slicks or a dedicated road tire. Opted for the road tire since 95% of my rides on this bike is mostly road. I got a 29er for the trails but am thinking about getting some cyclocross tires for winter.
  • 06-05-2013
    ncruz408
    So where's da pics? heeh Looking to see what you have done on the bike. I just picked up some 4 Seasons Conti GP and they are awesome. Longest ride so far is 24 miles and still very comfortable..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minister View Post

• 09-16-2013
    ventinove
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 832436
    @Bassano del Grappa 2013

Just took my all new Crossrip Elite over the alps. (Füssen-Venice-Zagreb-Balaton). It ran like hell for more than 1000km without even a puncture. On road, single trail, gravel, you name it. I can only praise this baby.
  • 09-16-2013
    ventinove
    its an out-of-the-box Crossrip Elite 50cm size
    BBB-DualRide Pedals
    Elite bottle cage
    blackburn rack
    ortlieb classic bags
  • 02-12-2014
    Berserker26
    Anybody have any love for the new Crossrip LTD?
  • 02-13-2014
    Just J
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Berserker26 View Post
    Anybody have any love for the new Crossrip LTD?

I've seen one on instagram and it looked fantastic! I've still loving my 2013 Elite though, it's still going strong.
  • 02-22-2014
    AZHatton
    Just ordered my 2014 Trek cross rip elite today.. Hope to be riding it by next weekend.. Will post pics once I have it. Can wait!!!!
  • 02-27-2014
    Wacowacko
    1 Attachment(s)
    Picked my 2013 last night and did my saddle adjustment tonite and did a few test runs up and down the street, I have owned a lot of roadbikes over the years including aluminum, steel, carbon and my last bike a Titanium roadbike , and when it sold I thought I will never have another bike that rode that good.....WRONG! I had never heard of the Crossrip until I walked into my LBS and ask if they had any cyclo/gravel bikes, he pointed to the only one in the shop and it was the Crossrip, I test road it for about 50 feet and thought it was ok, that was on Monday , went home and starting reading reviews and was floored on how awesome these things are , sold my Ti bike on Tuesday and picked up the Trek on Wed....Wow ! What a ride sooo smooth and quiet !
  • 03-01-2014
    phsycle
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wacowacko View Post
    Picked my 2013 last night and did my saddle adjustment tonite and did a few test runs up and down the street, I have owned a lot of roadbikes over the years including aluminum, steel, carbon and my last bike a Titanium roadbike , and when it sold I thought I will never have another bike that rode that good.....WRONG! I had never heard of the Crossrip until I walked into my LBS and ask if they had any cyclo/gravel bikes, he pointed to the only one in the shop and it was the Crossrip, I test road it for about 50 feet and thought it was ok, that was on Monday , went home and starting reading reviews and was floored on how awesome these things are , sold my Ti bike on Tuesday and picked up the Trek on Wed....Wow ! What a ride sooo smooth and quiet !

Most likely the function of bigger tires.
  • 03-01-2014
    AZHatton
    2 Attachment(s)
    Just picked up my 2014 trek cross rip elite
  • 04-14-2014
    noservice
    Just ordered a Crossrip LTD, can't wait...
  • 04-25-2014
    mrribbits
    Got myself a Crossrip LTD for commuting, road tours, off road trail riding in packed dirt and gravel. Love this bike so far. It's so versatile !

I've got the Thudbuster ST seat post to help take the edge off those bumps (I ain't getting any younger). And I have a lovely light-weight and minimalist Tubus Fly Classic rack for my panniers. Regarding pedals, I just picked up the Shimano PD-A530 pedals since I really wanted dual platform.

Let's talk tires:
    For long road rides I'm using GatorSkin DuraSkin 25mm. They are fast and durable !

I just got the Clement MSO 40mm for off-road dirt and gravel rides. They fit just fine. Pics below !
    https://imgur.com/a/kZyh3
  • 04-28-2014
    mrribbits
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    tires out there. I really like the 35c Clement MSO CX all terrain tire.

Oh I see they don't make the MSO in 35c anymore. Only in 32 and 40c. The USH comes in 35c now instead.
  • 11-07-2014
    essinem4130
    Ordered my 2015 Crossrip Elite yesterday (Est. delivery on 12/15/14). After doing several 30+ mile rides on my single speed 33/18 geared 26", rigid '95 Gary Fisher Mt Tam... I decided more gears and faster tires were in order. I'm 6'1 with 32 inseam, originally LBS owner thought I would be best fit on a 58 but after messing around with a 56 Crossrip Comp they had in stock, decided on the 56 Elite as it just fit right.

Put $700 down and will pay the rest and enjoy the eff out of it when it comes in. Merry early Christmas to me!!!
  • 11-08-2014
    CS2
    Quote:

Originally Posted by essinem4130 View Post
    Ordered my 2015 Crossrip Elite yesterday (Est. delivery on 12/15/14). After doing several 30+ mile rides on my single speed 33/18 geared 26", rigid '95 Gary Fisher Mt Tam... I decided more gears and faster tires were in order. I'm 6'1 with 32 inseam, originally LBS owner thought I would be best fit on a 58 but after messing around with a 56 Crossrip Comp they had in stock, decided on the 56 Elite as it just fit right.

Put $700 down and will pay the rest and enjoy the eff out of it when it comes in. Merry early Christmas to me!!!

Does the Trek have a long TT? 6'2" seems big for a 56.
  • 11-11-2014
    essinem4130
    I'm closer to 6'0 than 6'2.. 6' 1/2" perhaps? From a little bit of research I've done on the Crossrip it seems they do run a bit long compared to other bikes people have been fitted on. It could be the stem length, the geometry of the frame, but I can't say for certain.

That aside, has anyone weighed the stock wheelset? I've read they are quite heavy (heavy being a relative term) along with the fact that general consensus is the Bontrager hard case tires are also quite heavy for their size . I don't plan to do much offroading with the bike, so would it be beneficial to change the rims out for something lighter, aluminium nipples and some lighter road oriented tires? Am I worrying about this for nothing? Never owned or ridden a road-ish bike before so any input would be appreciated.
  • 11-11-2014
    Paochow
    You are correct, the Crossrips have a long top tube. I'm 6'2" and riding a 58 Crossrip Ltd, the reach is long, but comfortable for long rides. I have my stem in the raised position, rather than the typical angled downward config, which gives a more upright seating position.

As for the wheels and tires, I'd give them some miles before considering upgrading. The stock wheels are pretty strong and the tires are tough so they work well over a variety of conditions, pavement, gravel and even light single track. True they aren't the lightest, but neither is the bike, you can drop some weight here and there, but it will never be a lightweight. It is a great well rounded bicycle though and despite being a good 6+ lbs heavier than my Madone, it carries its weight well.

• 11-12-2014
    CS2
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    You are correct, the Crossrips have a long top tube. I'm 6'2" and riding a 58 Crossrip Ltd, the reach is long, but comfortable for long rides. I have my stem in the raised position, rather than the typical angled downward config, which gives a more upright seating position.

As for the wheels and tires, I'd give them some miles before considering upgrading. The stock wheels are pretty strong and the tires are tough so they work well over a variety of conditions, pavement, gravel and even light single track. True they aren't the lightest, but neither is the bike, you can drop some weight here and there, but it will never be a lightweight. It is a great well rounded bicycle though and despite being a good 6+ lbs heavier than my Madone, it carries its weight well.

Very nice trail. Where is it?
  • 11-13-2014
    Paochow
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    Very nice trail. Where is it?

Just outside of Minneapolis, MN.

The photo is about a month old though, looks like this now.....

• 12-08-2014
    essinem4130
    Quote:

Thanks for the reply. I'm only basing my weight concerns on what I've read online, so several large grains of salt are needed.

This is the first "road" bike I will have owned so the difference from my SS rigid MTB I've been doing ~30 mile road rides on will be significant I suspect.

Bike should be here around Christmas, the wait is killing me..
  • 12-09-2014
    Paochow
    Oh yeah, it will be like going from driving a pickup to a sports car. 30 mi rides will be a piece of cake.
  • 01-05-2015
    essinem4130
    Quote:

Oh yeah, it will be like going from driving a pickup to a sports car. 30 mi rides will be a piece of cake.

I hope so. I love riding my SS but long flat straights and long steep ascents get frustrating when you find yourself coasting or walking.

The new bike is here in two days, after being delayed since December 15.. I have a sneaking suspicion that some dock strikes in Long Beach had something to do with it getting pushed back so far, as the bike is coming from Asia to South California. Regardless, I can't wait to take it out on its maiden voyage!
  • 01-13-2015
    essinem4130

Rode 95 miles between Sat and Sun, along with 2 four mile sprints today and yesterday. I think I'm in love.
  • 01-18-2015
    essinem4130
    Just shy of 50 miles today.

• 01-31-2015
    Shocker99
    I read a lot about the Elite and LTD's. Anyone riding a Crossrip Comp??

Just got a good 2nd test ride in today at the Trek store and put money down on a 2014. It absolutely doesn't feel heavy to me and its around the same weight as my 29" SS mountain bikes.

Looking forward to putting in many miles this spring.
  • 02-01-2015
    Paochow
    Quote:

Just shy of 50 miles today.

Very nice! It's pretty easy to rack up miles on isn't it. I added a thudbuster to mine this past month and can't wait for the temps to warm up so I can try it.
  • 02-04-2015
    essinem4130
    Quote:

Very nice! It's pretty easy to rack up miles on isn't it. I added a thudbuster to mine this past month and can't wait for the temps to warm up so I can try it.

It really is easy to ride for long distances. Please post how you like the Thudbuster, I've been contemplating getting one along with a Brooks seat to really make the bike comfortable.

I changed the cranks last week to Tiagra compacts after having some creaking issues when powering up short, steep ascents and I have to say it was worth the investment. The bike feels quite a bit stiffer under power and shifts quicker and smoother.

• 02-04-2015
    Paochow
    Quote:

It really is easy to ride for long distances. Please post how you like the Thudbuster, I've been contemplating getting one along with a Brooks seat to really make the bike comfortable.

Will do. One thing that really surprised me was the weight of the stock seatpost. It weighed a lead pipe-esque 400 grams, leaving the Thudbuster transformation at less than a 50 gr gain. If it works half as good as the Thudbuster LT on my Fatboy, I will be very satisfied.
  • 02-05-2015
    essinem4130
    Was in my LBS this morning and had them put some 700x25 Continental Gatorskins on as I'm mostly riding on relatively smooth paved surfaces. Bike seems to roll a bit easier and the tires made almost no noise on a ~30 mile ride today. Worthwhile investment IMO if the majority of your riding is on pavement. The reasoning I had was I'd like to save the stock tires for when I'm planning on a long offroad trail ride. After they removed the stock rear tire I noticed it had a pretty significant amount of wear and now I'm wishing I had changed them out when I first got the bike. Hindsight is always 20/20.
  • 02-06-2015
    Shocker99
    Can you/will you be riding the Gatorskins off road at all? Im kinda in the same boat. Bought a Crossrip Comp for putting in mostly road miles but want to have the option of semi offroad from time to time.
  • 02-10-2015
    CS2
    How does the Elite compare to the LTD? It doesn't seem like you're getting much more on the LTD for almost $500. That polished frame does look nice though.
  • 02-10-2015
    essinem4130
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Shocker99 View Post
    Can you/will you be riding the Gatorskins off road at all? Im kinda in the same boat. Bought a Crossrip Comp for putting in mostly road miles but want to have the option of semi offroad from time to time.

I've done a small amount of fairly well groomed dirt paths at lower speeds (10mph at best) with the 25's and they are very sensitive to larger pieces of gravel so I can't really recommend them for off pavement riding. Maybe a compromise with a 700x28 but I've never ridden on 28's so I can't really add anything of value to that.

Quote:

How does the Elite compare to the LTD? It doesn't seem like you're getting much more on the LTD for almost $500. That polished frame does look nice though.

The LTD comes with 105 shifters and Tiagra cranks (I changed my FSA cranks to Tiagra) and the HY/RD cable actuated hydraulic disc brakes (of which I have no experience) vs the Elites Sora shifters, FSA cranks and Hayes CX Expert disc brakes. I have no complaints about the brakes, I spent $150 on new Tiagra cranks, so that puts me right around $1400 total investment vs the ~$1750 the LTD would have set me back. Is the extra ~$350 worth it to start fresh with 105 to you? If you want to buy a bike and can spend the money the LTD is nice because it already has the great shifters and cranks but I figured I would be wearing all of those components out eventually and would just upgrade down the road. Also, take into account bike availability, I had to wait almost 2 months to get the bike to my LBS from Trek and the one I finally got wasn't even the one I ordered.
  • 02-10-2015
    essinem4130
    And because why the hell not, a couple more pictures!

• 02-10-2015
    Paochow
    Quote:

I found my LBS was a bit more flexible on price with the Ltd, and I was able to get it for $300 more than the elite.

The Ltd HYRD brakes were much better, especially considering I use it to pull my kids in a Weehoo. They required less effort for more power.

The 10 speed 105 shifted a bit smoother than the 9 speed Sora. Either would have been fine, but the 105 just has a more precise feel.

Add the polished frame and shiny orange bits and that was enough to seal the deal for me, the Ltd looks like a million bucks.
  • 02-10-2015
    Paochow
    Quote:

And because why the hell not, a couple more pictures!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

• 02-10-2015
    essinem4130
    Quote:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

She's pretty.
  • 03-04-2015
    essinem4130
    Some pics from my really intense mountain adventure yesterday on my Crossrip. Climbed some gravel/hardpack/sand/stone trails that were easily over 20% grade. Had to hike up 3 of the hills because I didn't have enough traction.. could have used a triple up front as well.

These are from the 2nd highest hill we went to. Did another 200' of climbing from here. The view was spectacular, I'll get better pictures and hopefully a video of the ride eventually.

The downhill was crazy on this bike...
  • 03-06-2015
    Paochow
    Great photos!