Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    I am about 215 and I was thinking the stock tires are strictly road tires and I was thinking of having them changed to a mini knobby tire.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'll admit the longer top tube may make this bike a bit easier to ride offroad. I notice that I really have to shift my weight back on this bike when i get in anything soft. The next frame size up may be a little easier to lighten the front tire up.

I have clipped my toe on the front tire a couple times. But it was in slow speed turning situations where I had my foot too far forward on the pedal.

I'm now considering bigger tires as wel but not sure on a knobbie. I was thinking something like the schwalbe marathons might work well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    and you are 5 feet 9 inches ?
    i have owned small road bikes
    where my shoes hit the front tire cornering
    and made for hair raising few seconds.

mtbr member
    It does not seem logical a bikes design would allow your feet to contact the front wheel when turning?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i did discuss with the shop
    a additional set of 29'er tubeless rims and tire set for this bike

mtbr member
    So with larger wheels, your feet would be closer?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    it was very common in smaller frames

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Yes 5'9" with a 30/30.5 inseam.

When I clipped the tire was maneuvering from a stop. This did not happen while pedaling in motion.

My foot was also too far forward on the pedal.

Think more about this I was not seated, I had my right foor on the ground and was taking off from a stop.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    if you move the crank/pedal to the say 3 o'clock-towards front of bike position.
    can you move your shoe clipped into pedal
    and get it to touch the front tire if you turn the bars ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I have stock pedals with no clips. as long as my foot is in the "clipped position" my toe/foot will not touch.

I am a novice!!!

mtbr member
    Yes, you foot should not reach, unless your bike is 3 sizes too small!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i guess the point is moot,
    since my 50cm bike was already ordered and is on the way as we speak.
    and there is no other size that will fit.
    only bigger frames...eeek!

those photos make me anxious.
    i am sure i will be happy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    hopefully this puts your mind to rest
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek CrossRip Elite-img_02252.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    are the cranks 170's ?

the reason for 29'er wheel set
    was to order a bontrager tubeless ready wheel set that the discs can transfer over to

i think 29'er and 700c are nearly the same size rim

but need to see what size tire can fit in frame and forks before that step

. i am super excited to get my new bike now.

it's like Christmas and stuff.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I get 6.75" on the crank which is 172mm or so.

The wheels are 622x15. I see max recomended width is 32 which is whats on it.

According to Trek 1.8" wide tires will fit inside the frame/fork. Thats what a 45mm width tire???

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    my upgraded wheel set
    will be tubeless
    so not sure what width/tire i will be able to get on there.

i am not going to see my new bike til next year.

ha

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lunna View Post
    i guess the point is moot,
    since my 50cm bike was already ordered and is on the way as we speak.
    and there is no other size that will fit.
    only bigger frames...eeek!

those photos make me anxious.
    i am sure i will be happy.
    You see, this is why the top tube needs to be the lenghth it is. I was looking at the geometry of the Specialized Cyclocross and the top tube length is about one inch less than the Trek.

The longer TP equates to a longer wheelbase and a better ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    So I spent some time reasearching seats/seat adjustment and really dialing in the seat position. I had the seat much too high and forward. I wasnt even sitting on my "sit bones" and my hips were rocking. So, I moved the seat down and back and so far the front end seems much lighter without my weight being carried on the bars as much.

The last time I spent any significant time on a bicycle was before I got my drivers license, I'm 36 now. Even then all I've ever ridden is BMX style and mountain bikes. The road bike aspect is completely new to me. On top of that this is my first "fitted" bike. You guys take that into account when you hear me talk about this bike, especially offroad. I live on the coast where it's all soft sand, I'm 210lb and the bike has small 32c tires on it. Even mountain bikes are tough to ride under these conditions. I had several front tire wash outs venturing offroad. Eventually though it all came to me, I can't "ride the front tire" like a big tire bike(if that makes sense). I really had to pick the front tire up over the smallest obstacles compared what I'm used to.

One other thing I'll admit is I may have shortish arms which could be another reason the 50 felt better for me.

rickcin, so do you have a CrossRip on order yet??

mtbr member
    The tires that come with the Cross Rip and generally for the road and the bike is considered a Cyclocross. I might ask the dealer to swap out the tires when he gets my bike so I get a tire that will function well on asphalt or stone dust. With a mini knobby tire I could then adjust to the differnt terrain. A higher pressure when cycling on asphalt and then less pressure on unpaved trails.

You should have asked your bike shop to set the seat height and check your riding position. This is all part of the fit and part of their service and if you feel they are not capable of doing this, then stop in a better bike shop and I am sure they would be more than happy to help you.

When I picked up my FS Superfly a few weeks ago, I brought my cleats in and they set me all up, adusted the saddle height, checked my position in the cockpit and reviewed daily maintainence items with me. I just if I just took the bike and left they may not have offered any assistance. My recommendation would be for you to have a knowledgeable person double check your current set-up! Minor adjustmaents could make for a huge difference in comfort and performance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I agree, when I picked the bike up the salesman I ordered the bike from wasn't there. I was in a rush to ride it and another fellow quickly adjusted the seat and I left. I'll be going back and will most likely buy another seat too. The stock seat is too narrow for me.

This shop has an excellent reputation around town and I'm sure Brian, the salesman, will take care of me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Beastwood View Post
    So I spent some time reasearching seats/seat adjustment and really dialing in the seat position. I had the seat much too high and forward. I wasnt even sitting on my "sit bones" and my hips were rocking. So, I moved the seat down and back and so far the front end seems much lighter without my weight being carried on the bars as much.

The last time I spent any significant time on a bicycle was before I got my drivers license, I'm 36 now. Even then all I've ever ridden is BMX style and mountain bikes. The road bike aspect is completely new to me. On top of that this is my first "fitted" bike. You guys take that into account when you hear me talk about this bike, especially offroad. I live on the coast where it's all soft sand, I'm 210lb and the bike has small 32c tires on it. Even mountain bikes are tough to ride under these conditions. I had several front tire wash outs venturing offroad. Eventually though it all came to me, I can't "ride the front tire" like a big tire bike(if that makes sense). I really had to pick the front tire up over the smallest obstacles compared what I'm used to.

One other thing I'll admit is I may have shortish arms which could be another reason the 50 felt better for me.

rickcin, so do you have a CrossRip on order yet??
    Sorry, I missed your question. No, I have not ordered the Cross Rip yet, going to do so lated this month. Going to order 2 bikes since my wife want the Cannondale Synapse, so hopefully I can get a decent deal, especially since I want different tires on my bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Did 14 miles today around Greenfield Lake in Wilmington. No offroad but I went down a set of brick steps and did much curb hopping and travelling some rough trashy roads. Bike is tough as nails and I love the disc brakes! Say what you want about the tires but I've run over glass and all kinds of winter debree. Supposedly these hardcase ultimate tires are very puncture resistant. They do make them up to 45c I think.

The seat adjustment helped tremendously! Not only in comfort but also helped exactly as id hoped with rideability. This bike is everything that I was looking for. It IS NOT that dainty, max effort road bike. It is everything they say it is.

One thing I wanted to mention was the shifting and gearing, specifically the difference between the standard CrossRip and the Elite version. The standard model with its triple and 8 speed was not as smooth and seemed to suffer from cross chaining and made noise in certain gear combos. This could have been the bike needing an adjustment, operator error, or a combo of both. Either way, the Elite version has been flawless. I'm extremely happy with the ratios, shifting etc etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek CrossRip Elite-img_02272.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    thank you for the photos.

i can't wait to get my bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    No problem, post up some pics when you can!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    rickcin, have you thought about what tires you were going to upgrade to? The stock wheels "technically" won't allow anything bigger, although I've heard people say they have ran 35c tires on 15mm inner wheels. My primary concern is puncture resistance, especially with tires this small. Very few if any offroad knobbies offer the level of protection the stock tires or the Schwalbes I mentioned.

I think the solution is to get a second wheel set like lunna is doing. I wouldn't be nearly concerned with flats/rim damage with something like 38c-45c tires. I'd love to have two sets of wheels/tires to switch back and forth depending on conditions.

One thing about this bike is it doesn't have quick release wheels. I don't know whether that's something I need or not. Thoughts?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast