Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Trek or Cannondale ?

I was going to order a Trek Cross Rip Elite from a LBS, however they have a 2012 Cannondale CAADX 105 they will sell me for about the same price as the Trek. He said the drivetrain is about 2 levels better than the Trek, so I am thinking it is a better deal.

My only concern are the brakes, the Cannondale has the Tektro CR710 cantilever brakes instead of the discs on the Trek. I am about 210 pounds but my sales person is telling me the brakes will be fine and I would be getting a much better bike with the Cannondale.

I would appreciate some input, thanks!

mtbr member
    and you can always switch to mini v-brakes if you're not happy with the cantis. As long as you're not racing in the mud the mini v's will kick ass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    and you can always switch to mini v-brakes if you're not happy with the cantis. As long as you're not racing in the mud the mini v's will kick ass.

So the mini v's have better stopping power and if so, they can easily be installed on the Cannondale?
    Last edited by rickcin; 01-17-2013 at 07:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Yup and yup. Way more power and easy to install. If you're not going to race I wouldn't even bother with the cantis. Get the store to switch them to mini-v's before you take the bike home.

These are the best/most popular ones TRP
    You want the CX8 or CX9. They're around 100 dollars for the pair.

mtbr member
    Thanks limba, I really appreciate the advice!

mtbr member
    No problem. Other guys will respond eventually. Everyone must be watching the Oprah interview!

mtbr member
    Good point man!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The Trek Crossrip is saddled with really poor components. Forget the brake issue. Discs will stop well, and canti's will stop just a well - it's all in the proper set-up.
    If you can get a 105-equipped Cannondale for about the same price as the CrossRip - DO IT! The Cannondale will be a much nicer bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mhickey79 View Post
    The Trek Crossrip is saddled with really poor components. Forget the brake issue. Discs will stop well, and canti's will stop just a well - it's all in the proper set-up.
    If you can get a 105-equipped Cannondale for about the same price as the CrossRip - DO IT! The Cannondale will be a much nicer bike.
    Exactly what the fellow in the bike shop had stated!

Not sure about the canti brakes, maybe because I never had them and not crazy about the way they look. I know, looks are not that important, but what about stopping a 215 pound rider, and, do the canti's open up easilt when removing the wheels???

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Does the Cannondale fit you well? Have you had a chance to ride the Trek (or another bike with similar geometry)? If the Cannondale fits, go with it unless you have compelling needs for discs (lots of mud or this will be a year-round commuter in cold climes-ice on rims).

Cantis will stop you fine; they have been used on touring bikes for years, and those loads can get pretty hefty (I have ridden with rider weight + bike + load of 260 pounds). The straddle cable will have a quick-release on one of the brake arms, so removing a wheel is a non-issue, though unlike discs, you need to remember to reconnect your brakes after replacing a wheel.

mtbr member
    The Cannondale fits fine and I think I will go with that bike since the shifet group is much better than the Sora group that comes with the Trek, which is a 9 speed BTW, kind of unusual.

One member suggested having the bike shop switch out the cnti brakes to mini V's.

What are you thoughts??

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I think canti brakes just look "right" on a 'cross bike.
    Neither a mechanical disc brake or canti's will stop your 'cross bike on a dime. If you're looking for stopping power like a hydraulic disk brake on a mountain bike, it's just not going to happen.
    Either brake will stop you safely, but you will have to leave an appropriate distance for that stopping to happen. Basically, you have to adjust your riding style to the brake.
    Cantilever brakes will stop very well when they're properly set-up. Mechanical discs (especially with compressionless housing) will also stop well.
    Bottom line is, buy the better bike (cannondale) and then get used to the brakes.

mtbr member
    I think that is sound advce, the bike was designed with those brakes and I am sure they will be fine.

This will be a whole new experience for me since I have been riding mountain bikes with hyd discs. I love biking so I wanted a cross bike for days when the trails are too wet and to have a road type bike for paved bike paths. I think the Cannondale will be perfect for what I am looking to do.

The shop is going to swap out the stem so I am a little more upright which will also be a benefit for touring and reduce some lower back pressure.

One more question, tire pressure is somewhere in the 65 to 85 psi area, must I go with co2, or will a good Lzyne frame pump work?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Frame pump should work fine, though I wonder if you really want pressures that high? 65 is the absolute high end of what I would use, and that would be for riding only very smooth roads.

I upgraded my cross bike to the TRP mini-Vs and noticed a lot better feel and stopping power. They don't look as cool as canti's, and they get bogged down with mud a bit more when racing, but they inspire a lot more confidence on road, gravel and singletrack rides. I would try the canti's first though - they may work just fine for you.

Also, definitely go with the cannondale.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, I will go with the Cannondale. Funny how you like the look of the cani's, I like the V's, but then again I am use to looking at a chunky FS mountain bike.

The BS said to take the bike with the current brakes and if I did not like them, they would install the mini's for the material cost only.

Sounds like a good deal to me!!

mtbr member
    This is what I bet happens. You buy the bike and love it but the brakes seem weak. So you do a little research and everyone suggests switching to Kool Stop salmon brake pads for $10. So you do that and the brakes are definitely better but still kinda lame. Then everyone says to buy mini v's.

I would switch to V's before you leave the store and I would suggest the same to anyone that doesn't race in the mud. There's really no good reason to use cantis if you don't race in mud.

Anyway, I'm sure the shop will make you happy with whatever you decide. And yes, you can use your pump to fix a flat and yes, you will be able to remove your tire easily with properly set up cantis. It's a bit trickier with mini v's.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    For mini V's if using Shimano or Sram levers get a jagwire adjustable noodle. Only like $5 or so. It allows you to adjust the cable enough to dial in proper brake feel and to be able to remove the straddle cable when taking the wheel off. I race cx and I only use a mini V up front. Most of the power comes from the front anyway. Eliminates the fork shudder and the canti out back is sufficient enough.

Jagwire noodle adjuster

Its a mullet. Business in the front... party out back
    Last edited by kmancrx; 01-18-2013 at 01:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    is there a shop near you
    where you can test ride a specialized cross disc bike before you buy anything ?
    it is in price range of the trek

Specialized Bicycle Components

---------------------------------

here are some bikes without discs which are nice

based on msrp of trek and cannondale plus local sales tax
    i looked at these bikes on line

Save up to 60% off new Shimano equipped Cyclocross Road Bikes - Windsor Cyclo | Cross Bikes save up to 60% off list prices

Titanium Cyclocross Bicycles | Road Bikes - Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Titanium | Cross Bikes

after trying lots of bikes with canti and discs .
    i prefer the benefits of discs.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=lunna;10116199]is there a shop near you
    where you can test ride a specialized cross disc bike before you buy anything ?
    it is in price range of the trek

I rode and left a deposit on the Cannondalev 105. It is a 2012 leftover so I was able to get the list price reduced by about $200 and the drive components are two levels above the Cross Rip, so I thought it was a clear winner.

Never had a bike with cani brakes so not sure how they will be for me, but worse case, I will replace them with mini V's, pay for the brakes and the shop will install them at no additional charge.

I think I will love this bike!

mtbr member
    This bike is a leftoverso I am getting a good deal on it. If I am hot thrilled with the canti brakes the bike shop will install mini V brakes for me labor free.

I think the disc brakes are more important to have on a mtn bike than a cross or road bike, in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You made the right choice, Cannondale CX frames are great. I love my 2009 CX9. I weigh 225 lb and have canti's on mine. The 105 components should last a lot longer than the Sora (especially the brifters).

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Trek or Cannondale ?

Swap out the brakes to the TRP CX 8.4's. best thing I ever did. Races in some serious mud this year and never had an issue. Stops on a dime

mtbr member
    The bike shop just wants me to check out the canti brakes first before switching, so I will give them a shot.

TXTony
    My Super X has TRP cantis..have had no issues with the cantis..at least nothing to the point I have felt the need to replace them..The Cannondale cross bikes are great rigs! Enjoy the new ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TXTony View Post
    My Super X has TRP cantis..have had no issues with the cantis..at least nothing to the point I have felt the need to replace them..The Cannondale cross bikes are great rigs! Enjoy the new ride.
    That is what my fellow at the bike shop is telling me, he said I will have no problems with the stopping power. My initial concern was started due to the fact that I was going to order a cross bike with disc brakes and the bike shop had this left over Cannondale and the components are two levels above the Trek I was going to order.

The fellow thought I should get the better bike as opposed to getting the Trek just for the sake of having disc brakes. I think his advice is solid especially since most of my riding will be in pavement.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast