mtbr member

Traitor Ruben Bike Frame

I have been toying around the idea of building up a cross bike for a while now and would like one that is disc compatible.

I stumbled upon the Traitor 'Ruben' and it seems like a possible winner. Anyone have any thoughts?

Also not sure what wheelset to put on it. Could use some help there too.

Thanks.
    "Those who wander are not always lost"

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I spoke with them the other day about this exact bike, but they are out of my size (56) until Fall. It looks like a good frame at at decent price- the reviews are generally favorable. They have good deals on frames if you can find your size. Any 29er wheel would work fine.

mtbr member
    That is what I was thinking too. Thanks.

Looks like I will have to wait awhile too, 56 would have been the size I needed as well.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I've had mine for the past 6 months and I am pretty happy with it. Mine's running with Sram Rival and Avid BB7, these brakes work very well compared to my roadies, but probably not as good as hydros for people used to mtb. It's also very heavy!

The cables all run on top of the top tube--normal for cx bikes-- which means an extra pulley for the front derailleur so it's really hard to upshift even with proper lube.
    CX bikes also have a shorter wheelbase, which causes foot rub in my case since mine's size 49, but I think you're probably in the clear.

P.S.
    No images until I have 10 posts .

mtbr member
    That is the exact group I was looking to put on it. I actually like the BB7's as opposed to Hydro's. Much more simple to take care of.

Can't wait to see a photo of it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    FWIW- I have a Traitor Crusade, and the quality is great. Clean welds, good paint, well thought out design, stiff where necessary, compliant where you need it. Rides great. Looking forward to seeing pics of other Traitors!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Original bike without the in-line brake levers and rack. The in-line levers are great for going downhill because I can shift my bodyweight back and still brake.

Rack is very light and can hold extra water, food, tubes, etc. I swapped out the 11-28 cassette for 11-32 so I can spin up steep hills.