mtbr member

New question here. Tommaso Bestia - Yay or Nay?

Was wondering what you all thought about giantnerd specifically in regards to their cyclocross bikes.

Tommaso Bestia Cyclecross Bike - Giantnerd®

I am trying to look for a good/reputable brand/model of cyclocross bike for under or around $800, only thing i've found so far is this tommaso which i know nothing about, and a bunch of motobecanes from bikesdirect... but from what i've read in the motobecane subsection on here, some LBS' sneer at motobecanes?

I'd purchase a motobecane fantom or something similar in a heartbeat if I knew whether or not it would be a reputable purchase, and while I know that sounds pretty shallow, know that I am really new to cycling and cannot do all of my tune ups and fixes on my own just yet, so I'll need to bring it into a shop, I know for a fact that walmart cycles can be turned away at shops because of the poor quality of assembly makes it really difficult to work on.

The Brutally Handsome
    I haven't heard anything about that bike, but I have heard good things about the Airborne Delta. It's slightly less money, you get a better group and it has disc brakes: Airborne Bicycles. Delta

mtbr member
    Motobecane (BikesDirect) are decent bikes. I own a Fantom 29, been on it for over a year and had no problems (that I didn't cause). I've said it before and so have many, many, many others that if you don't know how or are unwilling to do your own wrenching that it would be better to give them a pass though, and that would apply to all internet bike retailers. I say that because while almost all of them have some sort of warranty for manufacturing defects, or breakage during shipping, and several of them (including BikesDirect and Airborne) have outstanding tech support online and telephone, the fact is if something needs adjusting or you break something, you are on your own. However, working on a bike isn't rocket science. For not much money ($20-30) you can buy a copy of Zinn's, or Park Tool's BBB, or one of the other bike maintenance manuals. Then a half-decent bike specific took kit will give you the ability to do about 90% of your own fixing and keep your cash in your pocket and not hand it over to the LBS for the little stuff that would only take 10 minutes. That's what I did and has worked out very well for me.

As to your question about that specific bike, it doesn't look bad but not great either. Heck here's one that's less money, and several people in the forums have had good things to say about;
    Nashbar CX1 Cyclocross Bike - Cyclocross Bikes and Frames
    I'd check out Performance Bikes' site, as well as REI's site as well for their house brand cx bikes. You also could take the used route, and take a look at the classified forums here (there's a link in there for road/cx listings), or ask at the LBS if they know somebody who has something for sale or on consignment.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzler View Post
    I haven't heard anything about that bike, but I have heard good things about the Airborne Delta. It's slightly less money, you get a better group and it has disc brakes: Airborne Bicycles. Delta
    lol those are sold out :/
    I really want one too.

Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    Motobecane (BikesDirect) are decent bikes. I own a Fantom 29, been on it for over a year and had no problems (that I didn't cause). I've said it before and so have many, many, many others that if you don't know how or are unwilling to do your own wrenching that it would be better to give them a pass though, and that would apply to all internet bike retailers. I say that because while almost all of them have some sort of warranty for manufacturing defects, or breakage during shipping, and several of them (including BikesDirect and Airborne) have outstanding tech support online and telephone, the fact is if something needs adjusting or you break something, you are on your own. However, working on a bike isn't rocket science. For not much money ($20-30) you can buy a copy of Zinn's, or Park Tool's BBB, or one of the other bike maintenance manuals. Then a half-decent bike specific took kit will give you the ability to do about 90% of your own fixing and keep your cash in your pocket and not hand it over to the LBS for the little stuff that would only take 10 minutes. That's what I did and has worked out very well for me.

As to your question about that specific bike, it doesn't look bad but not great either. Heck here's one that's less money, and several people in the forums have had good things to say about;
    Nashbar CX1 Cyclocross Bike - Cyclocross Bikes and Frames
    I'd check out Performance Bikes' site, as well as REI's site as well for their house brand cx bikes. You also could take the used route, and take a look at the classified forums here (there's a link in there for road/cx listings), or ask at the LBS if they know somebody who has something for sale or on consignment.
    Yea, i was looking at that bike, it looks nice, I think I am a 52cm though, I dunno how much of a difference that makes though.
    Here's a weird little problem for you all to solve if you can help me out with it:
    I am fairly sure my inseam is 29cm, and I am 5'8", but there are no charts that indicate a proper size for my height/inseam combination, so I really don't know what to do about that. I was told that I might be a 52cm, but I'd also like to check with you guys, I'll probably end up going to a LBS and getting checked just for the hell of it, but I want to see if you all might know as well.
    Last edited by Seasonal; 04-13-2013 at 02:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Tommaso is an old Italian brand that is now US owned, based in Denver. But this bike, probably made in China or Taiwan, looks nothing like those old Italian bikes. The Bestia has a Shimano shifting group but cuts costs where they hope you wont notice (I'm pretty sure that's a square-tapered crank) and other budget parts. Honestly no better or worse than a Motobecane. I can't find specs - not even on their website - not a good sign.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seasonal View Post
    I am fairly sure my inseam is 29cm, and I am 5'8", but there are no charts that indicate a proper size for my height/inseam combination, so I really don't know what to do about that. I was told that I might be a 52cm, but I'd also like to check with you guys, I'll probably end up going to a LBS and getting checked just for the hell of it, but I want to see if you all might know as well.
    Ok first, while wearing the shoes you ride in or plan to ride in, take a book and snug it up into your crotch, then measure from the floor to the top of the book. That should give you a close idea of your 'cycling' inseam. Then I would advise going to your LBS and explain that you're looking at getting a bike, etc.. If that shop is worth your time, they should be willing to help you with getting fitted on a bike in general so that you know exactly what size bike (stand-over, ETT reach, so on and so forth), WITHOUT expecting you to buy their bikes. If they won't help without expecting you to pony up, then you don't want to deal with them anyway. While you're there take a close look at what bikes they have, and ask every question you have, no matter how stupid you think it might be (that's how you learn). If the shop helps you then keep them in mind, since you'll need all kinds of other stuff later (tubes, patch kit, shorts, jerseys, bottles, and 500 other little things) and buying from them will help them to help someone else in the same boat. Also taking them a case of beer is usually a well received gesture of thanks as well.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    Ok first, while wearing the shoes you ride in or plan to ride in, take a book and snug it up into your crotch, then measure from the floor to the top of the book. That should give you a close idea of your 'cycling' inseam. Then I would advise going to your LBS and explain that you're looking at getting a bike, etc.. If that shop is worth your time, they should be willing to help you with getting fitted on a bike in general so that you know exactly what size bike (stand-over, ETT reach, so on and so forth), WITHOUT expecting you to buy their bikes. If they won't help without expecting you to pony up, then you don't want to deal with them anyway. While you're there take a close look at what bikes they have, and ask every question you have, no matter how stupid you think it might be (that's how you learn). If the shop helps you then keep them in mind, since you'll need all kinds of other stuff later (tubes, patch kit, shorts, jerseys, bottles, and 500 other little things) and buying from them will help them to help someone else in the same boat. Also taking them a case of beer is usually a well received gesture of thanks as well.
    lol will do, i found some pretty nice bikeshops via yelp already, so i'll def be checking them out either today or tomorrow.