mtbr member

Tires rubbing carbon chainstay when muddy.

Hi. Just looking for ideas on what kind of barrier to use to protect my frame when my tires get caked in mud.

I put 35c smart sams on my Ridley X-Fire and noticed that when the rims get mud with stones etc on them they are rubbing my frame raw on the sides of the chainstay.

The clearance is pretty tight with the 35s but no issues until they get caked. I'm trying to brainstorm something I can wrap the stay with for protection that's not going to be very thick while at the same time not rub through as easily as most tapes etc. Thanks for any input.

I can't get my phone to get focus any closer but the paint has worn off and the carbon is exposed.
    Last edited by chuckeieio; 04-09-2014 at 04:31 PM.
    GTA
    Ontario

mtbr member
    Yeah...My friend's bike rubbed a hole in the chain stay....$$$$ to fix...not sure what would stop this....some type of metal barrier...All my bikes R Ti...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ladljon View Post
    Yeah...My friend's bike rubbed a hole in the chain stay....$$$$ to fix...not sure what would stop this.....
    I would run a narrower tire.

SPP
    Rigid.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Helicopter tape is your best bet but you'll still have to keep an eye on it from time to time.

mtbr member
    Helicopter tape eh... After a brief google search I think that might be something to try, thanks!

The tires have a few mm clearance per side however the tire bulges slightly where the valve stem is and when muddy that's where it rubs mostly. Not all mud rubs it, just the thick clay like stuff full of gravel etc. and it's only happened 3 times out of dozens of rides but enough to wear through on my last ride.

I'm hooked on the Smart Sams. They're $20 each and roll fast on pavement and show less than half wear after over 1000km on road and when I want to go single track while on a road ride they hook up great in the soft stuff. They only come in 35c and I'm hard pressed to find a similar "do all" tire that's more narrow. Especially at that price. I'm very eager to make them work for me.

I'm going to try to source some of this helicopter tape.

If anyone has any other ideas, please share.
    GTA
    Ontario

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    use a smaller tire

or apply a blob of epoxy and smear it around, let that take the wear...
    sand and re-apply as needed

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have the same frame with the same issue. Mine is worn thru all the paint into the carbon. I added a small aluminum strip and wrapped it with tape. Keep your skewer super tight and check to see if your wheel is truely centered, as mine was dished toward the no drive side by 2mm. You may also consider taking some of the tread off of the edge of the tire for extra insurance.