Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    NONDURO

Tires: how big—38? 45? What fits?

Sure, it’s probably been featured in at least 10,000 threads, but on teh intarwebs, everyone is in a hurry and they demand INSTANT gratification.

I am a self-professed hack of a rider who is still experimenting with different types of bikes. I’ve built up a Surly 1x1 SS with 700x45c tires (disc brakes to boot) and it was a kick in the pants, but I am now looking into purpose-built cyclocross bikes, seeing as they aren’t just heavy crap thrown together. However, two criteria pique my fancy:
    1) clearance to be able to run up to 700x45 tires (in a bind, 700x42s will fit the bill)
    2) disc brakes

I know, I want the unobtainable. Right? Any information greatly appreciated.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Sure, it’s probably been featured in at least 10,000 threads, but on teh intarwebs, everyone is in a hurry and they demand INSTANT gratification.

I am a self-professed hack of a rider who is still experimenting with different types of bikes. I’ve built up a Surly 1x1 SS with 700x45c tires (disc brakes to boot) and it was a kick in the pants, but I am now looking into purpose-built cyclocross bikes, seeing as they aren’t just heavy crap thrown together. However, two criteria pique my fancy:
    1) clearance to be able to run up to 700x45 tires (in a bind, 700x42s will fit the bill)
    2) disc brakes

You are going to limited to ~38mm tires with most race-type 'cross frames.

A more all-rounder style frame like a Cross Check can usually take the 40-45mm tires.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    You are going to limited to ~38mm tires with most race-type 'cross frames.

A more all-rounder style frame like a Cross Check can usually take the 40-45mm tires.
    I like the Cross Check… except for the lack of disc mounts. Already running a Surly 1x1 disc fork on my 1x1, has metric buttloads of clearance for anything up to 26"x3". Out back I can run a 700x45 or even a 26"x2.6" on a 26"x2.5" Surly Large Marge. I just like the idea of starting with a frame/fork combo “purpose built” with the preferred geometry of a cross bike coupled with disc “brakability”.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I like the Cross Check… except for the lack of disc mounts. Already running a Surly 1x1 disc fork on my 1x1, has metric buttloads of clearance for anything up to 26"x3". Out back I can run a 700x45 or even a 26"x2.6" on a 26"x2.5" Surly Large Marge. I just like the idea of starting with a frame/fork combo “purpose built” with the preferred geometry of a cross bike coupled with disc “brakability”.
    The Salsa Vaya will take a 42 tire and is disc brake.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    You can always have a local frame builder add the rear disc brake bits to a Cross Check frame then throw on a disc only fork on the front.

Check out the Trek CrossRip. They claim it will swallow a 1.8 mtn bike tire. Price is really nice on the two models but the component mix is a bit low end. Fortunately it is built around a pretty nice frame and a carbon fork...so with the price you could likely get on that from an LBS you would have plenty of room for some upgrades if needed/wanted.
    Signature

jrm
    mtbr member

The Black Mountain "Monstercross" Frame

will get you in the 45c range as will the salsa vaya. Check out the on one carbon CX and Petommine frames and the salsa gravel bike, cant think of name, will get you in the 40c range.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Not of course full on racing cx but Singular Peregrine takes 2.0" tires and has disc brake mounts. Singular Peregrine

(price is for pre-order, full price is £565 for the frame)

jl
    climb
    Raleigh Roper
    Ride On!

NONDURO
    Thanks everyone for the info.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    The Origin8 frame I used (see build thread in my signature) is supposed to fit up to 2.1" tires, I run 40mm and there is loads of clearance (1/2" at the tightest spot) . Not the worlds lightest frame/fork, but has been working well so far:

Bro Mountainbiker
    Vassago is re releasing the fisticuff soon. That totally fits the bill.
    Also the singular peregrine is a sweet bike that fits the bill.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Crawler View Post
    The Origin8 frame I used (see build thread in my signature) is supposed to fit up to 2.1" tires, I run 40mm and there is loads of clearance (1/2" at the tightest spot) . Not the worlds lightest frame/fork, but has been working well so far:

Seems just what I am looking for. Thanks!

Oh, and I was just up that way today. The conditions were absolutely miserable—horizontal rain fueled by 50MPH or so winds such that in a couple places going up Woods trail I actually felt a boost UP the hills.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    soma double cross dc

mtbr member
    Origin 8 is sweet. Can't beat the price and tire clearance.

I am running a 40 on the front and 35 on the rear of my Civilian Vive Le Roy. I think I could likely squeeze in a 40 in the rear if I set the sliders a little further back...but it would still prob rub around corners.
    Signature

the half breed devil
    no disc brake mounts but my '11 GT series one CX is running panaracer 45's on both ends, no problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tires: how big—38? 45? What fits?-img_20120321_171613.jpg  

mtbr member
    I want one of these. They might make you one with discs.

Or

Singular Peregrine

Maybe heavier than what you want, but cool none the less. Co-Motion Divide

How big can one fit in the charge filter?

There are others as well. I'll keep my thinking cap on, Leo.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryjosber View Post
    good,Check out the on one carbon CX and Petommine frames and the salsa gravel bike, cant think of name, will get you in the 40c range.
    The dirty disco is rated to 38 and the salsa warbird is the same.

I wouldn't want to go any bigger on the dirty dicso, but I can't speak on the warbird.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

I <3 29ers
    Just curious, Leo, but have you thought at all about a custom frame? Or perhaps you're still figuring things out in your "experimentation" to be comfortable spending the dough?

Just a thought if you felt you could commit. I can relate with 2 29ers and a Cross Check in hand ... with thoughts of a 1x1.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO View Post
    Just curious, Leo, but have you thought at all about a custom frame? Or perhaps you're still figuring things out in your "experimentation" to be comfortable spending the dough?

Just a thought if you felt you could commit. I can relate with 2 29ers and a Cross Check in hand ... with thoughts of a 1x1.
    Yeah, I did think about it… but then I could hear my wife’s voice in my head, something along the lines of, “Why do you need to spend all that money on a bicycle frame???” Nice to try out cost-effective existing solutions though. Looking forward to trying out 4Crawler’s Origin-8 CX700 in the 56cm size sometime (hopefully) soon, as I am itching to pull the trigger on purchasing one (am considering both the 53cm and the 56cm sized frames, as the geometry seems as though either would work for me—but leaning toward the 53cm with a long-ass seatpost).

I <3 29ers
    HAHAHAH! You hear your wife and I hear my wallet. It's all relative, right?

I have my CrossCheck and I really need to give it credit because that thing can be built SOOOOOO many ways. It's certainly not THEE most versatile thing out there, but ...

(yeah, gotta do it)

"You can't always get what you wa-ant, but if you try sometimes, you get what you need!"

..... but then this stupid f*

(And of course i'm completely happy with my 29ers, it's just that "last one" build ... okay so i'll have 4 bikes - I can live with that)
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Brett,

The only reason why I went with my C'Mute and not the CX700 was availability at the time. Being your pahtnah in crime, and knowing what kind of rides you do, I would suggest the CX700.

I think a CX race frame wouldn't be to your liking.

the half breed devil
    then there is the salsa fargo...

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Brett,

The only reason why I went with my C'Mute and not the CX700 was availability at the time. Being your pahtnah in crime, and knowing what kind of rides you do, I would suggest the CX700.

I think a CX race frame wouldn't be to your liking.
    You riding Kennedy with us on Sunday morning? It’ll be the only place close by open.

I'm your density
    Surly Disc Trucker takes up to 45mm. Appears to be quite a bit heavier than the CX700, though.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    — Ty Webb

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'd stay away from Origin 8's "CX700." I had one that I purchased new from JBI when they first came out, and I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Much, much heavier than anticipated (made the Surly CC feel featherweight), as well as having an ovalized BB shell and headtube from over-heated welding. It worth a few extra bucks to get something else. Anything else.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast