mtbr member
    Nov 2009

are tire size rules really enforced?

I have read a bunch of cx post, went to some races, bought myself a bike, and almost have everything ready to go. the one thing I am concerned about is tire size. everywhere I read a lot of reviews and threads are bringing up max tire size for uci legal cx is 32. I believe that the information is correct but is this a rule that is actually enforced? I am not that good and could use a little extra traction to keep it on two wheels. what size would you guys recommend? will hardcore cx guys be giving me dirty looks and pointing an official my way? am I ruining the spirit of cx racing by running tires that aren't legal?

thanks,
    adam

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Whether or not tire size is enforced depends on the promoter or sanctioning body.

I've never been involved in a race where tire size was even considered, but I race in Oregon where we do things a bit differently. If tire size is being checked for a beginner-level race, somebody needs to stop taking themselves so seriously. You probably won't have a problem though.

The spirit of CX is suffer and have fun. Rules are tolerated as necessary.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    UCI legal width is 33mm, subsequently there are not many tubulars available anymore that are >33mm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adumb View Post
    I have read a bunch of cx post, went to some races, bought myself a bike, and almost have everything ready to go. the one thing I am concerned about is tire size. every I read a lot of reviews and threads are bringing up max tire size for uci legal cx is 32. I believe that the information is correct but is this a rule that is actually enforced? I am not that good and could use a little extra traction to keep it on two wheels. what size would you guys recommend? will hardcore cx guys be giving me dirty looks and pointing an official my way? am I ruining the spirit of cx racing by running tires that aren't legal?

thanks,
    adam
    Run whatever size tires you want.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I've found that most tyres are a bit smaller than quoted by the manufacturer. I'm using 700x35c Smart Sams and they measure 33mm at the casing and 34mm at the tread on Campag Khamsin CX rims... Not sure whether the regulations refer to casing or tread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_K View Post
    If tire size is being checked for a beginner-level race, somebody needs to stop taking themselves so seriously.
    Bingo

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    In most amateur cross races, you can ride your mountain bike if you want, so no, they are enforcing tire size, unless it's a UCI sanctioned race, National Championships, etc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    thanks for the info. from what I can see anyways most of the cx tires are right at that limit anyways. probably for rules reason.

does anyone have a recommendation for a slightly larger tire out there. biggest I can find is 35c. are there any 38c tires in a good all arounder tread pattern

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    There's the rub. The rule isn't enforced, but it raises questions in consumers minds often enough that the manufacturers respond to it. Before the rule change a lot of CX tires were 700x35. Since then it's less common.

If you really need an all around tread, your choices may be limited. If you are in a dry area, the Kenda Happy Medium, which is available 700x40, may work for you but I wouldn't want to use it in mud.

I use Clement clincher tires, which are listed at 700x33, but on either Velocity A23 or HED Belgium 2 rims they measure just a hair over 35mm for me at the sidewall with the tread extending a bit beyond even that.

I raced on Clement PDX's all last year, and they were great. If I could only have one tire, this would be it but in part that's because we have extreme mud toward the end of the season here.

I bought some LAS's and MXP's to try out this year. We have some races in August that tend to be dry and should work with the LAS's, and it doesn't get seriously muddy until about the middle of October, so I think I'll have some chances to try the MXP's too. I've heard good things about them.

In general, cyclocross courses tend not to be terribly technical. Don't be afraid to give it a try with skinnier tires. The skills will come in time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Many courses are darn bumpy though and I want a 35-40 clincher tire, too. Specialized is rolling out a 2bliss semi-slick Trigger 38mm soon, but I wish they would do a 38mm 2bliss Tracer. Challenge has a 38mm and 36mm gravel grinder tire. Most of the bigger treads are marketed for gravel and are darn smooth in the center. If only a 38mm Challenge Fango, a tubeless 38mm Clement MXP or a 38mm tubeless Tracer existed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Like someone said, if they allow mountain bikes, which they should in the beginner level, go with whatever width you want. I have a pair of the 700c x 40mm Kenda happy mediums, and for road/asphalt/gravel/dirt, they are great and long lasting. If you're in real mud, I don't think any tire under 40mm is going to hook up great, so just have fun drifting.

Lazy People Suck
    Bontrager makes the CX0 in a 38mm. Tread is a little light for a true all arounder, but it is a nice fast tire.
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack