mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Tire pressure for 700x35c Sammy Slick

Hi there,

For these two scenarios, what are some good starting pressures? Bike is a 2012 CAADX 6 with 700x35c Sammy Slicks. Rider weight is 165 lbs.

Scenario 1: 3 miles of pavement leading to a 9 mile loop of dusty, flat, dirt multi use trail.

Scenario 2: Mountain scenario with a little bit of everything. Loose over hard pack, gravel, clay, steep climbs. I'm guessing that Sammy Slicks aren't the best choice for this scenario.

Thanks,
    Bob

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    1) 50 psi.
    2) 40 psi if you're smooth, 50 if you're not.
    You have to run higher pressures with cross tires when you're mountain biking than for a cross course because 'cross courses generally don't have rocks that you'll hit at speed. 'Cross tires with inner tubes are really not at all suited for mountain biking because you have to run such high pressures to avoid pinch flats. That doesn't mean it's not fun, of course.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks, mhickey.

I did scenario 1 today and started with the recommended 65 psi from the shop that I got the bike from. It was 18 miles of flat-as-a-board hardpack...some smooth, some bumpy. At 65 psi, my wrists and lower back were pretty unhappy fairly quickly.

I didn't have a tire pressure gauge with me, but I pulled over and let some air out of both tires...more in the front than rear. Also lowered the saddle 5mm. I used saddle height for my road bike as the starting point. The difference in comfort was night and day. Sooo much more enjoyable. The bike seemed to glide over stuff instead of bouncing so much.

When I got back, I checked and I had 35 psi in the front tire and 40 psi in the rear. Never felt either wheel bottom out and I was trying to be careful with my line, so I'm assuming this is ok.

Bob

mtbr member
    One of my favorite tires. Super durable and handles well. I converted them to tubeless and they really work best.
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I run 33-40psi in my cross tires usually. I have had one rim strike on a hidden root in a sandy section during a cross race. Be careful running that low of a pressure.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 69erEverything View Post
    One of my favorite tires. Super durable and handles well. I converted them to tubeless and they really work best.
    What rims are you using, weight, tire pressure?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I'm not running those tires but I ride a mix of mostly gravel, rooty doubletrack, and some pavement. 34c specialized captain cx setup tubless on a23's at 35 front 38 rear. was running 33f/35r but seemed to be bottoming out a little bit in the rough stuff. I also weigh 165

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm at 160 and I have to be running around 45-50psi. Maybe my terrain is a bit more rockier than most, I guess. No way I could get away with anything in the 30's.