Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Thinking of building a niner monster cross bike...please advise

I'm considering building my air 9 niner 29er into a monstercross bike...few questions
    Can I use road shimano 10 speed STI with my 10 speed xtr rear del. ? I will run it as a 1x9 so I'm not going to use the front del.
    Do'es anyone make a 490-500mm axel to crown fork,Niner has diso'ed the 490 fork
    Thx for the advise,and if anyone has a few pictures of there monster cross bikes that would be cool
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thinking of building a niner monster cross bike...please advise-dead-tree-001.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    10 speed brifters work with 9 speed mtb rear deraileurs. 10speed road/mtb is not compatable.

conjoinicorned
    Why the huge fork? Pretty slack for a monstercross but to each their own I guess. I think the niner 470 would be pretty sweet for that type of build. Which brakes are you planning in using with the drop bars?
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday View Post
    Why the huge fork? Pretty slack for a monstercross but to each their own I guess. I think the niner 470 would be pretty sweet for that type of build. Which brakes are you planning in using with the drop bars?
    I just pulled my mtb flat bars off and replaced them with drops to check the fit....components and fork to come....
    Can I used a road rear del. on the niner, its has 135mm rear spacing

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I know that you really wnat to keep the frame, but just build a cross bike and stop making that almost work. :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMCAT View Post
    I just pulled my mtb flat bars off and replaced them with drops to check the fit....components and fork to come....
    Can I used a road rear del. on the niner, its has 135mm rear spacing
    the rear spacing doesn't matter - it is the cassette cluster that would matter (ie road vs mtb gear ranges)

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AZspeeding View Post
    I know that you really wnat to keep the frame, but just build a cross bike and stop making that almost work. :-)
    Dont listen to that guy, you got a great frame. Nick Legan, on the Velonews crew, is racing Dirty Kanza on a converted 29er, and this is what he did:

Gallery: Nick Leganís Dirty Kanza 200 rig

If you get a suspension-corrected rigid fork, only a bit shorter, you can steepen your headtube angle. Cross bikes generally have steeper HT angles than cross country bikes. Nick is a great guy, a former wrench for pro road teams, and he could be a big help to you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    "
    Can I use road shimano 10 speed STI with my 10 speed xtr rear del. ? I will run it as a 1x9 so I'm not going to use the front del."

besides the dynasys stuff not working well with anything else, i'd highly recommend not running 1x9 with a 10 speed shifter.

mtbr member
    Why do this? What is the advantage to this type of bike?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    Room for big rubber is the first thing. Single track worthy but with the advantages and ergonomics of many hand positions. Besides Salsa and a few others, not many brands are answering the needs of the monstercross crowd.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'd stick with flat bars on an Air9 personally. A great setup would be a flat bar with ergon gp3 grips or ESI Chunkies with Cane Creek Bar Ends and aero bars like Profile T2+ or Jammer Gts.

Aerobars give you an aero position comparable to riding in the drops but without the hand fatigue, the bar ends provide a hand position comparable to the hoods and the standard hand position will be much more comfortable and provide much more control than riding on the narrow flats of a road bar. I personally like the Ergons for non-technical riding.

mtbr member
    I originally built my IMBA Niner MCR bike as a monster crosser. It looked pretty bad-ass with all black components and big ol' fat 2.1 tires. Sorry no pics

The downside was the aggressive bar drop with a rigid front fork can beat you up and the cable guide would dig in to my collar bone if shouldered. It was also kinda' heavy for a cross bike 25lbs.

Eventually I converted it to a traditional flat bar with 3x9 XT and added a F29 fork. It serves it purpose much better now.

My advice; If you have an extra bike monster cross the heck out of it, if it's your only MTB keep it a MTB. I am working on my plan to build a new monster crosser and will keep the Niner as an MTB.

Cheers Eric
    okay

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    fun !!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by minneso View Post
    I originally built my IMBA Niner MCR bike as a monster crosser. It looked pretty bad-ass with all black components and big ol' fat 2.1 tires. Sorry no pics

The downside was the aggressive bar drop with a rigid front fork can beat you up and the cable guide would dig in to my collar bone if shouldered. It was also kinda' heavy for a cross bike 25lbs.

Eventually I converted it to a traditional flat bar with 3x9 XT and added a F29 fork. It serves it purpose much better now.

My advice; If you have an extra bike monster cross the heck out of it, if it's your only MTB keep it a MTB. I am working on my plan to build a new monster crosser and will keep the Niner as an MTB.

Cheers Eric
    Hi...I have nine bikes so this is just a project, this one is going to be cool !! Heres my other latest air9 project bike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thinking of building a niner monster cross bike...please advise-lefty-air-9-001.jpg  

mtbr member
    I just don't get it. You want fatter tires than a cross bike but not as fat as a mtn.bike. You want drop bars for multiple hand positions but most guys don't ride in the drops when they're on trails, they (we) ride on the hoods. You still have low mtn.bike gearing so you can't go fast on gravel/paved roads... I don't see how this bike has an advantage over a hardtail with rigid fork.
    I'm not knocking anyone's bike. I'm just confused on where this bike would excel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I just don't get it. You want fatter tires than a cross bike but not as fat as a mtn.bike. You want drop bars for multiple hand positions but most guys don't ride in the drops when they're on trails, they (we) ride on the hoods. You still have low mtn.bike gearing so you can't go fast on gravel/paved roads... I don't see how this bike has an advantage over a hardtail with rigid fork.
    I'm not knocking anyone's bike. I'm just confused on where this bike would excel.
    For the same reason that someone would have an aggressive hardtail *look up two posts* AND still have flat pedals. It all makes no sense.

Do you guys ever get the feeling that you're over thinking it and not really good enough to have it matter? I'm just sayin'.

Here ya go, 10 unorthodox handlebar setups: 10 Strange Bike Handlebar Set Ups - BikeHacks

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AZspeeding View Post
    For the same reason that someone would have an aggressive hardtail *look up two posts* AND still have flat pedals. It all makes no sense.

Do you guys ever get the feeling that you're over thinking it and not really good enough to have it matter? I'm just sayin'.

Here ya go, 10 unorthodox handlebar setups: 10 Strange Bike Handlebar Set Ups - BikeHacks
    Flat pedals rule......just go with it

mtbr member
    Why are you guys knocking this dude's ideas? Descendng in the hooks is much more awesome than descending on the hoods. Additionally a lot of people flat out prefer flat pedals. I'm one. With my cross bike on singletrack, I find that on the techy stuff I'm in the drops most of the time. It doesn't stop me from clearing obstacles, log rides, or as I found out yesterday didn't hold me back on the wooden berm on a local trail. Is it always ideal? No way, but is it fun? Yup. Drop barred setups rock, flat and riser bar setups rock, alt bar setups rock and flat pedals are definitely cool. I want a cross style bike with clearace for 700x2.3s. That would be a fun bike!

Go for it dude! Keep us updated with finished pics and ride report.

arrogant sandbagger
    May 2010
    The downside of drops is that you can't run hydraulics.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'm building such a bike now. My goal is a bike that I can ride the 10-20 miles of pavement to and from the trails and then do 10-15 miles of dirt in the middle. So the drops will be used for the pavement, especially with head winds. I'll have 3x10 gearing so my low gearing is as low as my MTB and my high gear is as high as my road bike. Will be running 700x35 or 42 tires so not huge, but adequate for the trails I plan to ride plus decent on the pavement, frame will fit up to 2.1s. And the bike should come in only a pound or two heavier than my road bike and much lighter than my MTB or touring bikes.

I am mainly looking to ride fire roads and easy to moderate single track under control and in comfort. I do this now on my touring bike but find I have reached the limit of what a 27x1-1/4" tire will do and also with center pull brakes, that is also a limit on the longer downhills, so the new bike will have disc brakes.

And I don't like driving my bike to and from the trails, I would rather ride both ways. Plus that gives you more flexibility in that you can go in one route and make a loop and return by a different route. If you have your vehicle parked at a trail head, you pretty much have to return back to the same point.
    Last edited by 4Crawler; 06-08-2012 at 09:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Mountain bikers often seem confused by the monstercross thing. Road riders approach it from a fitness/endurance perspective. There are so many advantages to drop bars when you're riding. When you're sitting up grabbing flat bars you're like a big sail in the wind. Flat bars are good for control on single track but suck on the road. But roadies are getting bored with pavement. That's why the monstercross/cyclocross thing appeals to them.

I don't want to put my bike on the car and drive 10-20 miles to dirt. I want to get on my bike outside my door and ride to the dirt.

mtbr member
    I'm not a mtn.biker and labeling cyclists is dumb. If you have flat bars and have to ride into the wind you can put your hands close to the stem and get into a more aero position. Steve Larsen even put little barends beside his stem when he raced mtn bikes. I've thought about doing that. The drop bar aero position saves you SECONDS, the larger gear is what makes the biggest difference in speed (providing you're strong enough to turn over the bigger chain ring).
    I always ride to my trails. They're about 30 minutes away in every direction. Putting fatter tires and lower gears on my cross bike would make the trails a bit easier to ride but a rigid mtn.bike would still be faster.
    Anyway, I think some guys like building something different just to be different. That's cool. I just don't see where this bike would be better than a rigid mtn.bike.

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by vaultbrad View Post
    Why are you guys knocking this dude's ideas? Descendng in the hooks is much more awesome than descending on the hoods. Additionally a lot of people flat out prefer flat pedals. I'm one. With my cross bike on singletrack, I find that on the techy stuff I'm in the drops most of the time. It doesn't stop me from clearing obstacles, log rides, or as I found out yesterday didn't hold me back on the wooden berm on a local trail. Is it always ideal? No way, but is it fun? Yup. Drop barred setups rock, flat and riser bar setups rock, alt bar setups rock and flat pedals are definitely cool. I want a cross style bike with clearace for 700x2.3s. That would be a fun bike!

Go for it dude! Keep us updated with finished pics and ride report.
    I can get 2.1's into my peregrine. My favorite part of the bike is that it looks like a roadie (no sloping tubes and closer to road than MTB geometry) but rides like an MTB. It's built for dirt drops, meaning with a normal stem my drops are very close to where a flat bar would sit.

Limba, stop trying to get it. It doesn't have to be better, it just has to be fun. My monstercross is a riot on the relatively easy local single track, and makes road training rides so much more fun when I can mix terrain gravel, road, and dirt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday View Post
    I can get 2.1's into my peregrine. My favorite part of the bike is that it looks like a roadie (no sloping tubes and closer to road than MTB geometry) but rides like an MTB. It's built for dirt drops, meaning with a normal stem my drops are very close to where a flat bar would sit.
    I do like the way the Peregrine looks. Also this one looks pretty awesome for a stock option.

I've tried some 47mm tyres on my XCzech for a good while, but having ridden 28, and a couple different 32s on and off-road I think the sweet spot for that bike is 32-34, maybe up to 40. It would be nice to have a bike designed around some 2.1-2.4s.

conjoinicorned
    I love my peregrine (that co motion is nice looking! I'm gonna send it to my buddy who's looking for a commuter, thanks for posting)
    For those of us who are lucky to have a stable of bikes which AMCAT clearly does, the monstercross is a fine addition and for me is the closest ill get to a roadie for now...

Here's mine with some 38c studs, and the perfect reason to have one of these bikes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast