mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Tektro cantilever CR720 adjustment. Please help!

I just purchased a Surly Cross Check and am having difficulty adjusting the front brakes. The right (looking from the front) tension spring is quite a bit weaker than the left when they are mounted in the center hole positions. This is causing the brakes to be uncentered and impossible to adjust properly. The only way I can make the brakes work properly, and keep the straddle cable carrier centered, is to increase the tension on the right spring by moving it to the top hole. The spring tension adjustment screw alone, does not increase the tension enough. From what I've read, it is NOT preferred to have the tensions springs in different positions.
    • Question 1) Is using different hole positions bad if it solves the problem? I don't want to stress the brakes or weaken them.
    • Question 2) Could I have a bad or weak tension spring?

Any advice would be appreciated, as I would like to not have to worry about this as being a potential problem. The rear brakes work great and have equal tension in the middle holes.

Thanks and I'm looking forward to being involved in this forum !Tektro cantilever CR720 adjustment. Please help!-20131219_224659.jpgTektro cantilever CR720 adjustment. Please help!-20131219_224644.jpg

nor
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I have the same brakes and I have had to bend the spring a little using a pliers. Its not an uncommon problem. Just bend the opposite spring a little until its centered.
    ron-k.blogspot.com

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Run them in different holes on the frame if that gets you the desired result. It's really no different than adjusting the tension via grub screw on the brake.

One thing you could check is that it's the correct spring. If it's wound the wrong way it will always be soft.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks so far. This is the response from Surly ...

To answer your questions, itís not ideal to have them in different holes, but thatís usually because it creates a situation where youíll have uneven spring tension. I donít think the issue is that the spring is bad, but not wound enough, which is common. Itís a common trick to add tension to these springs by simply bending the arms. Iíd recommend taking your bike back to the shop from which it was purchased and having them take a look at your brakes. The shop will be able to get your brakes adjusted and working properly. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Ben
    Surly Bikes

I responded with .... I will probably ultimately do that, But in the mean time, would you agree that if the tension is about equal with one spring in the middle hole, and one in the top, that is basically the same effect as bending the spring ? Thanks Ben ...

Thoughts ?