Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Tcx advanced sx

33K views 128 replies 27 participants last post by  jhtopilko 
#1 ·
Anyone have this? Looking at getting rid of my diverge sport and switching to this. 100/142 thru vs my 100/135 qr. carbon vs a1 alum, tapered fork vs straight, should be alot stiffer. I was doing some ratio calc, i could put a 44t ring on and have basically the ratios what i need, never used the 50 and 11 much on my diverge gravel and exploring. Just hate the 32mm tires on it, tried 35s and they rubbed sprinting. I need 35-38s min for our gravel once they grade the roads.

Then put real tires on it for some CX seeing i can maybe fit 31mm cx tires.

I ride a 58cm, looks like large is the same reach and top tube length.

See less See more
#5 ·
Thats great. Only issue im having now if my LBS dosent carry them and i have to get it at another shop... feels like cheating hehe. Oh well... still have 4 other bikes from that shop in the garage. Just going to be funny feeling wearing their kit running a bike they dont sell, a few others do it so i guess no big deal.

#3 ·
Servus!

I was looking into this bike last September. Unfortunately Giant could not deliver, so I ended up with a TCX SLR (aluminium version) built up with an Apex 1 group. Lot's of tyre clearance, nice ride - all good. Currently I run 40mm Nanos on an old 29er wheel set - great for light single track use.

I would suggest to check if you can fit a 44T chainring before you buy the bike. I run a 38T XSync, and there is not too much room between the chainstay and the ring. I hav not tested yet, but I would doubt you could fit a 44T to the aluminium version. Don't know about the CF frame.

Cheers,
Marc

#4 ·
Ah! Good point on the clearance! Never thought of that... well i could change the driver and put a 10-42 on if needed and maybe a 42 if that fits. All speculation, maybe ill love it. 42/11 is basically same gearing as 50/13 (3.8) and 40/10 is 4 so even the driver and cassette change will be enough if needed.

I was reading more reviews and only issue was steep downhills you run out but my gravel rides/races dont have much of those.

#6 ·
Ordered one up and put a deposit down. Should be here next week... **** its early.

Ended up getting it thru a dealer i dont normally but bikes from but fatbike with employees! Didnt even know they carry giant.

Pumped for spring now!

#7 · (Edited)
Just got a medium today. First Giant and cyclocross or adventure rig...whatever category it's in. Had a 07 Spec Roubaix Pro to crosstrain and sold it in 2011 because I don't like to be on the road. New house has miles of paths leading to a few small MTB parks so this will be for those muddy rainy days or when riding time is limited.

Anyone know where I can find weight of the Giant components? I'm trying to keep it stock but can't resist the temptation to reduce a little weight. Got several parts laying around that I may swap. Set up tubeless it's 19.90lbs and 20.67 w XTR pedals.

#8 ·
Just got a medium today. First Giant and cyclocross or adventure rig...whatever category it's in. Had a 07 Spec Roubaix Pro to cross train and sold it in 2011 because I don't like to be on the road. New house has miles of paths leading to a few small MTB park so this will for those muddy rainy days or when riding time is limited.

Anyone know where I can find weight of the Giant components? I'm trying to keep it stock but can't resist the temptation to reduce a little weight. Got several parts laying around that I may swap. Set up tubeless it's 19.90lbs and 20.67 w XTR pedals.
The wheels are apparently 2400g with rotors.

#12 ·
Most Giant bikes come stock with heavier, albeit cheaper, house brand parts. I think the wheels, bars, post, stem would be 1st to go. They do make excellent frames at a really decent price point, so this bike is no exception for future upgrades. From what I've seen, the tire clearance is generous on these...40c should not be an issue! Individual weights for these house parts is not easily found...unless its removed and weighed after the fact. I would have to say that a diet of 2-3 lbs can be acheived, depending on budget. :thumbsup:

#13 ·
My lbs drinks the specialized coolaid hard, they were saying giant carbon frames have good expensive frames and then cheap crappy ones. I was looking and there is actually 3 types.

Advanced sl - top o line, almost same price point as comp but still cheaper. 100g lighter than advanced

Advanced - mid range, alot cheaper than competition still all benefits of carbon

Comax - base model carbon, 200g lighter than aluminum.

Im sure comax is "ok" but advanced aluminum like dsw specialized aluminum is stiffer. But still this tcx sx was the same price as a aluminum 105 crux with scs hubs that are getting axed. A 105 alum trek crocket with QR hubs.

Like said its a great start, the wheels are heavy and cheaper, bars and stem too. The apex is bottom of the line but could put on a carbon sram crank and drop a lb. its all what you want.

I prefer mountain biking, this is my when im not mountainbiking bike and training bike. I dont care its the best of the best, its stiff carbon, thru axles, 1x11 and fits 40s. It has their advanced carbon, imo will be better than specializeds dsw alum for sure.

#16 ·
Good to know of frame and part quality. I too prefer MTB and would rather invest in MTB bikes but my desire to tinker is high. Wheels seem like a good start. I have a set of WTB i24s I may try.

Today was maiden voyage of 40 miles (1k ascent) of mainly gravel and dirt paths with some sloshy areas. I don't have anything to compare this too but bike was super comfy, handled well and surprisingly compliant esp small bumps. I'm sure the 40's contribute to this. My legs need to adjust to constant spinning.

#22 ·
Nice bike.

The TCX's have massive tire clearance.

I am running 38c Gravel Grinder's on my 2014 TCX SLR1 and have room for wider.

#23 ·
I Love This Bike

I bought one last week and love it. I am already a big fan of 1x11, so I loved not have the derailleaur in the front. I think you just have to evaluate your needs and your riding area. Maybe if this is also going to be your roadbike the 2x11 would be better, but personally I would probably sacrifice it and stay with 1x11. I also like the 40c tires. The whole combination is just smooth, stable, and light.

2 small complaints that I knew going in, and that aren't deal breakers: not fender mounts, and a third water bottle cage mound under the down tube would be great.

I am 5'-5" and the small fits well, although it is tight up against my crotch. It would not be a good situation if it were a mountain bike, but it isn't, so I don't have any issues. Weight with Time Attack pedals was 21.5#.

#42 ·
I bought one last week and love it. I am already a big fan of 1x11, so I loved not have the derailleaur in the front. I think you just have to evaluate your needs and your riding area. Maybe if this is also going to be your roadbike the 2x11 would be better, but personally I would probably sacrifice it and stay with 1x11. I also like the 40c tires. The whole combination is just smooth, stable, and light.

2 small complaints that I knew going in, and that aren't deal breakers: not fender mounts, and a third water bottle cage mound under the down tube would be great.

I am 5'-5" and the small fits well, although it is tight up against my crotch. It would not be a good situation if it were a mountain bike, but it isn't, so I don't have any issues. Weight with Time Attack pedals was 21.5#.
I just rode a medium myself, I believe it was a bit too big for me (I'm 5'7" 30" inseam ) it seemed like I was stretching real far to reach the hoods and I was very tight to the top tube.
How is your foot to front tire cleareance? Do your toes rub at all on the front tire during tight turns? This is a concern of mine, my last bike my toes rubbed slightly, My foot is a size 8. I'm thinking of going for the size Small.

#25 ·
I'm looking for a Gravel/Cross rig for the coming season. The TCX looks like fast and comfy option to cover both needs. My biggest concern is the BB height. I must say, I like low BB's for the handling and ease of remounts. The TCX is a bit tall in the BB department. Does the bike feel 'tall'??

#26 ·
I currently have a SLR 2 and after 1000k plus km on it loving it. I was lucky and only paid 450 UK pounds as an ex demo in mint condition. I have altered the gearing to ultegra rear mech and 11/32 cassette with 46/34 up front for now. Will be going to hydraulic brakes shortly, possibly using giants conduct system conversion. Currently tubeless and seems ok at the minute. Bottom bracket doesn't seem to high to me compared with my road bikes. Currently using it for beginner cx races and gravel and easy mtb xc type trails and loving it. Will possibly upgrade wheels once stock ones are worn out or wrecked. Great fun bike for playing about on. I'm 5ft 8 and I'm riding a small as I find it easier to chuck about and mount and dismount without to much hassle.

#27 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I just sold my Slate and ordered a TCX/SX.
I test rode a friend's TCX yesterday and really liked the feel... compliant/comfy ride but good power transfer.

My only concern is fit... Large is too big, but I'm at the upper limit for M/L. I ordered the M/L as I should be able to make it work. I am 6'-0" with 32" pant inseam.

There are only 4 M/Ls left in the US. Looks like Giant is looking forward to 2018 models.

#31 ·
I bought my tcx sx back in Feb. I really like it other than the heavy wheels which will soon be replaced. Going to have my shop build some lighter aluminum wheels for me.
I'm 6'2" with 32 inseam and ride a large. Top tube and reach are the same as my 58 road bike. Stand over is close but I have an inch which is plenty. I did flip the stem and put on narrower bars to dial in the fit. I wanted a more upright position on long gravel rides. I just did a 68 mile gravel grinder today. Bike handles well and the 40c tires set up tubeless are pretty comfortable in the rough stuff.
I love the 1x11. Perfect gearing for me on gravel. 42 cog is nice on the climbs when I'm tired. It would be a little undergeared on the road though.

#38 ·
Last night, I did the tubeless conversion... removed the stock blue rim strips and taped them up with Stan's tape. With a little help from the compressor, they aired up without any drama.
I did the front wheel first and thought "Hey, this wheel isn't so heavy"... then I took the rear wheel off the bike and Holy Moly! That rear wheel is an anchor! I'm sure that the wheel itself isn't light, but that Cassette weighs over a pound. 538g according to SRAM.

Question: Understanding that the stock cassette is a PG-1130, are the SRAM XG series cassettes compatible? They are pricey, but you could drop some serious weight.

#39 ·
Last night, I did the tubeless conversion... removed the stock blue rim strips and taped them up with Stan's tape. With a little help from the compressor, they aired up without any drama.
I did the front wheel first and thought "Hey, this wheel isn't so heavy"... then I took the rear wheel off the bike and Holy Moly! That rear wheel is an anchor! I'm sure that the wheel itself isn't light, but that Cassette weighs over a pound. 538g according to SRAM.

Question: Understanding that the stock cassette is a PG

the cassette is heavy. I have the same question but Apex 1 is non-XD driver and all the ligher, more expensive 1x I think may be XD?? Hopefully someone more familiar can help.

#45 ·
The shimano xt 11-42 cassette, even the slx is alot lighter and cheaper than the sram. Just not black. When i get new wheels im going xd driver for the 10-42 for 10% more speeed

Xt cassette is a 100g lighter than the nx/apex

#48 ·
I installed a DT 240 CL/Arch EX on the back with zero problems. Installed a Stans 3.30/Crest rear with zero problems. I had to order the 12mm caps for the Stans hub. $23 shipped to me in 2 days.

Going from 28 spokes to 32 spokes, dropped 410g from the OE wheelset.

#50 ·
I have the new 2018 tcx advanced sx in grey/orange. Size small. Lbs scales say 21 lbs even with two plastic bottle holders, basic schimano mtb clip-ons, and a bit of dirt. Everything else stock. I had hoped the small would have got me under 20lbs out of the box... but oh well.

Love the bike but i need to set my clipons forward on my shoes to avoid foot/tire rub with turns.

#52 ·
hej,
I have ordered my in gray/orange with delivery early Nov. Is the paintjob finnisch is gloss ora matty?
thanx

I have the new 2018 tcx advanced sx in grey/orange. Size small. Lbs scales say 21 lbs even with two plastic bottle holders, basic schimano mtb clip-ons, and a bit of dirt. Everything else stock. I had hoped the small would have got me under 20lbs out of the box... but oh well.

Love the bike but i need to set my clipons forward on my shoes to avoid foot/tire rub with turns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.