mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Switching to flat bars?

I am thinking of switching thsi year, I know I need new shifters and brake levers. I am running Avid BB7 road discs now, so I assume any MTB lever will do fine, my question is shifters. I have 105 group 10 speed, double front crank. How do you set up the MTB shifter (assuming I get a normal triple shifter? Just set the limits on the fd?) Are there any concerns with shifter and rd? Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    You'll need to switch to BB7 Mountain discs/levers, or a whole new hydro setup for the brakes. Mountain and road brakes use a different pull ratio (long pull vs short pull) and aren't compatible. You could use old cantilever levers (not V-brake compatible) if you can find em.

Shifters are compatible though. Any ten speed Shimano trigger shifter combo should work.

If you take it to a reputable LBS they can help you out. You'll need to replace cables/housings all around at a minimum.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Options and link:

I suggest getting some of Shimano's flat bar shifters, they make a 10speed set up that is designed for the flat bar road bikes, i used some on those to convert a mate carbon radie to a flatbat set-up. Shimano also make flatbar lever that will work with canit's, road calipers as well a road discs.

Mtb brake lever pull more cable, so this might allow you to run the discs a bit further away from the rotors without loosing power.

I just Saw the post from Slow SSer, yest that is correct, but the 10speed shimaon MTB shifters will not work with the 105 rear mech, the 10speed mtb's use a different cable pull ratio to the 10speed road.

But the Flat bar brake levers will work as i suggested above. I have a link to a shimano webpage here with the parts:

Flat Handlebar
    Last edited by ozbikebuddy; 06-23-2013 at 06:52 PM. Reason: amendment
    29er you just know when ur ready!!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I was afraid of the shifters not working. Those flat bar 10sp shifters must be a limited supply item, most folks are out of stock. Guess I may be riding drops again....

mtbr member
    I'm surprised that the mtb 10-spd shifters won't work. I've swapped 7/8 spd Shimano road and mtb shifters and the indexing works perfectly with either cassette. I've never tried it with 9 or 10 spd components (so have no firsthand experience) but different indexing suggests that the sprocket spacing would be different between road and mtb cassettes (can someone confirm?).

Also, 2x10 mtb shifters have grown in popularity in recent years, so I'd really want to verify the indexing differences before moving on:

BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano XT SL M780 Rapidfire Shifter Pods 10 Speed
    Joe
    Chicago, IL

mtbr member
    In case you hadn't checked it out, Sheldon Brown's website is a good source of this type of information:

Shimano Cassettes & Freehubs

"Road" vs "Mountain" Hubs
    There is no interchangeability issue between "Road" vs "Mountain" cassettes and hubs as long as the number of sprockets matches. Although "Road" and "Mountain" hubs are no different as far as cassette fitting is concerned, they are different in terms of overall spacing. "Road" hubs generally use 130 mm spacing, while "mountain" hubs are 135 mm.

It sure sounds like MTB and Road shifters would be interchangeable.
    Joe
    Chicago, IL

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    FYI Shimano 9sp MTB rear mechs work with the road components. The newer 10 speed rear mech were design with a different cable pull from Shimano's usualy 2:1 ratio. the 10speed MTB trigger shifter have been designed to match this.

However the Flat Bar components use the older 2:1 cable pull ration which has stayed the same for the road shifters and mechs. But if you had a 9sp cassette, the current 105 rear mech would work with the 9speed MTB shifters.

This is similar to SRAM whose newer 10speed MTB rear mechs will not work properly if run with the older 9sp shifters.

mtbr member
    So that sounds like one option: Flat bar 9 spd road shifter, 9 speed cassette and existing rear derailleur (mech).

What if the OP replaces the rear derailleur to a newer 10 spd version (with revised ratio) and couples that with an MTB 10 spd shifter? That combination would allow him to retain all other components, as well as, drivetrain capability. Wouldn't it?
    Joe
    Chicago, IL

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    If he goes 10speed MTB shifters, he will need 10speed MTB rear mechs to match. This is SRAM both or Shimano both.

With the current bits go the 10speed shimano flat bar shifter are the cheapest and best option if you can get some. These can be seen on a shimano web site (AUS I i used), that i have added a link to in my 1st post above.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozbikebuddy View Post
    With the current bits go the 10speed shimano flat bar shifter are the cheapest and best option if you can get some.
    Yes, I would agree that this is the best option. I've only suggested an alternative since availability for the flat bar shifter seems to be an issue.
    Joe
    Chicago, IL

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Actually come think of it, how about getting a Deore 10 speed shifter and rear mech. this would be pretty cheap, or a Sram X5 combo, these might work out cheaper that just getting the flat bar shifers on their own

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks, I will keep you posted as we get closer to CX season. I think the Deore 10 sp shifters and new RD is the most likely route....