just some guy

'suspension' seatposts: Niner vs Ergon vs Syntace

Does anyone have any experience with these mildly suspension-offering seatposts? Ergon CF3 Pro Carbon (ERGON BIKE ERGONOMICS) vs Niner RDO (Niner RDO Seatpost) vs Syntace P6 CARBON HIFLEX (Syntace)

I guess Ritchey makes something along these lines as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Good job! Ergon CF3 Pro seatpost

I have the Ergon post and really like it. It's a clever piece of engineering and is well made. It doesn't have the travel of something like a Thudbuster, but it's more controlled. It feels like I'm sitting on a regular rigid post (no sag or squishiness), but I don't notice small bumps and buzz that I normally would. The funny thing is you don't even feel it doing its job. For reference I'm 160 lb. and use it for rough road/gravel riding, not CX racing or weighty remounts.

I haven't tired the Niner or Syntace posts, so I can't compare them. However, I would guess that because of its design the Ergon will provide significantly more travel. I think the Ergon hits "the sweet spot" for a lightweight, small travel, suspension post.

There's a short description/review here:
    Ergon CF-3 Pro Carbon Seat Post: First Impressions | Gravel Grinder News

One thing to be aware of: you will need a minimum of 6" (15cm) from the top of the seatpost clamp and the seat rails to allow the two carbon beams to flex independently.
    Last edited by levity; 05-19-2014 at 08:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I am now running the Syntace posts on all my bikes.Love them! I ride rigid bikes. The Ergon looks cool.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I assume this for gravel grinding and not cx, yes? The reason I ask is that there are enough stories of remounts that end with only half the carbon fiber seat post on the bike...well, you get the point. I would imagine that these posts will be even weaker than normal cf, since it is made to flex. Just something to consider.

Sent from a one-finger keyboard...pardon my autocorrect

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    yeah agree on limiting these to "road" use. seen enough carbon post failures on cx bikes to know that isn't a great idea for your typical cx cyclist.

I have an RDO setback post on my mtb and am purty happy with it. Not sure it's quite as smooth as a narrow Ti post but it's noticeably less stiff than the Ritchey wcs post I was running.

The old-school way to do this was to run a smaller diameter Ti post and shim it up to fit your seat tube. Having said that, I know setback Ti posts cost an arm and a leg - Moots and Ericksen probably both arms and both legs.

Ergon Bike
    The Ergon CF3 is rated for road, dirt road, and CX use only. It is NOT rated for mtb use, and such use will void all warranty on the product. The CF3 also has a combined rider and gear weight limit of 220 lbs.

A MTB version of the CF3 is in the works for 2015.

Jeff K
    Ergon Bike USA

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    some of the Specialized Crux bikes gets the Cobl Gobl-R

the Niner seatpost looks interesting... maybe some day I'll get one for the CAADX (haven't measured the diameter yet)

Bring back the Tour de GA
    I am using the Syntace HiFlex post on my hardtail MTB. This is my first hardtail after years of full suspension riding. The post does an amazing job of taking the edge off of impacts. This is in no way a substitute for rear suspension, but it definitely reduces the punishment of riding a hardtail over rocks, ruts and roots.
    There's only two things in life (but I forget what they are). - John Hiatt

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    I am using the Syntace HiFlex post on my hardtail MTB. This is my first hardtail after years of full suspension riding. The post does an amazing job of taking the edge off of impacts. This is in no way a substitute for rear suspension, but it definitely reduces the punishment of riding a hardtail over rocks, ruts and roots.
    My thoughts exactly and to add I have no concerns with durability as mine has been ridden very hard on the Hartail through Rocky Terrain where a Full Suspension would have been the better choice.

I did have a niner non-RDO version and had some issues with it Carbon was fine, but where carbon bonded to alu head the alu head for the mount would spin on me. The store I bought it from got it covered under warranty from niner and I got credit as opposed to a replacement item (backcountry has great customer service!).

I am sure the RDO version wouldn't have that issue from looking at the design.

The Syntace is worth the cost IMO though.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

just some guy
    Since this is in fact the 'cyclocross' forum the legalese warning is bizarre and kind of a bummer. You don't work with sales much, do you Jeff?

Quote Originally Posted by ERGON View Post
    The Ergon CF3 is rated for road, dirt road, and CX use only. It is NOT rated for mtb use, and such use will void all warranty on the product. The CF3 also has a combined rider and gear weight limit of 220 lbs.

A MTB version of the CF3 is in the works for 2015.

Jeff K
    Ergon Bike USA

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have a Cannondale Save seatpost that does a nice job on my 29er. I find myself wanting another for my CX because it does smooth out the chatter surprisingly well. I would love to try the Ergon to compare.

just some guy
    I see that Specialized is also out with a post design with a triangular-shaped wedge with some sort of micro-suspension built in. The Morgaw saddle, if it ever comes to market, seems to be another effort along these general lines. I love the concept of a no-maintenance, super-minimal nod to suspension with no weight penalty for hardtail enthusiasts.