mtbr member
    May 2014

Surly Cross Check Sizing

I am trying do decide which frame size cross check I should get. I am between the 54 and 56. Here's my info from the fit calculator:

The Eddy Fit (cm)
    Seat Tube Range c–c:
    Seat Tube Range c–t:
    Top Tube Length:
    Stem Length:
    BB–Saddle Position:
    Saddle Handlebar:
    Saddle Setback:
    54.7 - 55.2 cm
    56.3 - 56.8 cm
    54.3 - 54.7 cm
    10.1 - 10.7 cm
    75.6 - 77.6 cm
    52.9 - 53.5 cm
    5 - 5.4 cm

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I don't generally trust fit calculators. In the case of a Cross Check in particular, I really suggest you find a way to test ride one.

I bought a Cross Check a few years ago, and I was torn between a 52 and a 54. I ended up getting the 54 and my experience was that it was both too big and too small. That is, the top tube was too long and the head tube was too short. I adapted to this by using a lot of spacers and a stem with a steep rise.

Head tube length is conspicuously missing from the numbers you posted from the fit calculator. I'm not sure how to interpret that. Are they expecting a level top tube (in which case the height can be inferred from the seat tube length) or are they assuming typical modern road bike geometry (i.e. compact) with a sloping top tube.

The numbers you posted recommend a 54-55cm top tube length. The 54 cm Cross Check has a 56 cm top tube and the 56 has a 57 cm top tube. Top tube length is a bigger factor in fit than seat tube length, so I would suggest that if you trust the numbers above you really should be considering the 52 cm Cross Check, though I suspect you'll find the head tube too short as I did.

I'm guessing you're about 5'9"?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    5'10...

Yeah, I am kinda unsure of the geometry with long top tube, but short seat tube... Problem is I live in a rural area and don't have any dealers near by, so I am trying to go off the spec sheet as best I can.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Height doesn't tell the whole story, but I'm 5'9" and was able to make the 54 work. It would probably be OK for you. You might need top change the stem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm 6 ft with a 56 cm cross check, you would be better off most likely with
    The 54cm, on a 56 you wouldn't have your seat post that high, and would need a really
    Short stem. The surly cross check basically let's you size down from
    Your usual road bike size and have more stand over
    Yes this also means the short head tube will mean a up turned stem and a couple
    Spacers in most cases. Had a old friend about 5'10" ride my bike and he had to drop the seat a bit he was able to ride it but the fit didn't look
    Optimal, he probably would need a shorter then the 110 stem I have also
    My road bike is a 58 w a 57tt so the surly
    56 is a similar fit with more stand over and a upturned stem and a couple spacers
    Underneath , though not a lot of spacers