mtbr member

Suggestions on Cross Races around CO Springs Halloween weekend

I think i'm headed to the springs Oct24th-29th and think I might bring my cross bike. Mainly to get some local riding in but it could be fun to get my A$$ handed to me at 6000 ft. I looked at the CO schedule on line and it looks like the Zombie Flyer and the XILINX are my options.

Also I wouldn't know what category to enter, I'm 35 and race open in Anchorage which i'm thinking might be closer to cat3/4 there. I hold no UCI or USA license.

Suggestion?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    xilinx is a pretty flat / fast course. Fat asses like me do well there. It's in Longmont and would be a pretty good drive for you but nothing too crazy.

I didn't get to ride the Zombie/Parker course last year (I had a boo boo) but it will be MUCH closer to you and last year got good reviews.

If it's at a school like I think it is, there probably won't be beer there

an email was circulated a few days back:

First and foremost, the course is complete and I think people are going to like it. Some features from previous years have been carried over and I've added a few new wrinkles. The course has technical areas and power sections, fast down hills, a little climbing, sand, single track, pavement and a small bit of grass. There are spots that will be ridden by some, but many will have to run. The "Run-up from Hell" is back (****************SqryKQ). I recommend pre-riding the course on any of the following days:

Wednesday 10/23 - Several of us will be meeting at the venue from 4:00 - dark.
    Friday 10/25 - I'll be out there most of the day and I can show you the course.
    Saturday 10/26 - We will be setting up and taping the course. You're welcome to ride and/or help out.

More good stuff:
    -The Tender Belly food truck will be onsite serving their delicious, high quality meats and dishes. They're providing bacon for hand-ups, bacon prizes, bacon you can buy. Bacon.
    -Flippin' Flapjacks will be flipping pancakes.
    -Several vendors will be showcasing their products.
    -Equal pay-out for women's pro cat.
    -Mechanical support will be provided by City Velo.
    -Trick-or-treating for the kids. Vendors, teams, registration, announcers have been told to bring candy to pass out.
    -There are two playgrounds at the park for the kids.
    -Prizes for best costumes. Heckling is strongly encouraged of anyone racing and not wearing a costume. It's the Halloween race, come on people!
    -Teams are encouraged to bring their team tents. I'm not charging for space because that's ridiculous. Put your tent anywhere on the course but not on the sports fields.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I think I'm leaning towards parker just because its closer and gives me an extra day to acclimatize. Altho no beer may be a deal breaker... bacon sounds good though.