mtbr member

Suggestions for a cross bike with disc brakes and fender & rack mounts.

I'm new into cyclocross and I know cross bikes are starting to come out with disc brakes. I'm looking to get a cross bike, with disc brakes and fender & rack mounts. I mostly use my road bike and fat bike, and hardly my mtb. When ever I bike on the road with my road bike, I often will detour through dirt/gravel trails or even single tracks, but never really make it far enough having 700 x 23c wheels, plus I'm worried about damaging my road bike. I would prefer a carbon bike, but I know I probably won't find one that has rack & fender mounts, so I carbon would be a plus, but not a requirement. I also know that wanting rack & fender mounts would probably lead me towards touring bikes with disc brakes, but I would to start getting into racing cyclocross. I often bike to my cousins house, and having a rear rack pack, would make it easier for me to carry a change of clothes instead of carrying a back pack. My cousin's husband has a cross bike as well, so I figure I can remove the rack/fender when I get there and we can go hit the trails with our cross bikes.

I DO NOT want to buy online, so I know my choices will be limited.

Any suggestions?
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp Disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I would just get the bike you want and add a frame bag and large seat bag. Revelate designs has plenty to offer. Easier to take on and off than a rack. There are plenty of quick to remove fender setups as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I see you're a Trek fan. They have the CrossRip, but it has an alloy frame. At $1270 retail, not the quality you're used to. The new Salsa Warbird is a cool bike, not aimed to the cyclocross market but close. Warbird has no eyelets, but the Rack-Lock seat collar they sell will attach a rack. I've got the On One Dirty Disco, which at 550 (closeout price) is a steal for a carbon f&f, but no eyelets.

Any shop that deals with QBP can get you the Foundry Auger, a disc crosser, not sure about the rack mounts though.

mtbr member
    Soma Double Cross Disc has disc brake capability and rack mounts and fender mounts.

Salsa Vaya might work as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker View Post
    I would just get the bike you want and add a frame bag and large seat bag. Revelate designs has plenty to offer. Easier to take on and off than a rack. There are plenty of quick to remove fender setups as well.
    That's a good idea, but my only concern is riding on an open road on a windy day. I would assume the frame bag would act like a sail.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudrock View Post
    I see you're a Trek fan. They have the CrossRip, but it has an alloy frame. At $1270 retail, not the quality you're used to. The new Salsa Warbird is a cool bike, not aimed to the cyclocross market but close. Warbird has no eyelets, but the Rack-Lock seat collar they sell will attach a rack. I've got the On One Dirty Disco, which at 550 (closeout price) is a steal for a carbon f&f, but no eyelets.

Any shop that deals with QBP can get you the Foundry Auger, a disc crosser, not sure about the rack mounts though.
    Unfortunately, the CrossRip isn't available until late October. Looking to get one sooner that that. Besides, not really fond of the color of the Crossrip, as well as the Warbird. amd the Salsa Vaya.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Soma Double Cross Disc has disc brake capability and rack mounts and fender mounts.

I'll check out the Soma. There's supposed to be a dealer in Chicago that sells Soma. Hopefully, they'll have the Double cross for me to look and ride.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Another forum suggest the Specialized TriCross. I kind of like the 2013 TriCros Comp Disc. It's just labeled more as a utility bike. I also took a look at the Felt F65X, which looks sweet. Color scheme looks similar to my Madone. Other than the brakes, the Felt F65X looks like it has similar components as the 2013 TriCros Comp Disc. Unfortunately, the Felt doesn't look like it I can mount fenders or even a rack. Though I can probably use one of those seat post eyelets. I also believe Bontrager has a rack I can use, which mounts using a disk brake plate.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Origin8 CX700 frame has all the rack and fender mounts plus disc brakes:

Products Description ORIGIN-8

Bare frame+fork so you need to build up the bike:
    - Monstercross Bicycle Build

Got the frame thru a LBS listed in the Origin8 dealer list.

There seems to be no lack of threaded holes in strategic places for attaching all manner of accessories.
    Last edited by 4Crawler; 08-21-2012 at 09:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Crawler View Post
    Origin8 CX700 frame has all the rack and fender mounts plus disc brakes:

Products Description ORIGIN-8

Bare frame+fork so you need to build up the bike:
    - Monstercross Bicycle Build

Thanks. I'll check that out as well.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudrock View Post

I'm getting 2nd thoughts about buying online. I like the On One Dirty Disco. I just prefer to see it and ride it to get the feel of it.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I guess you see by now the only cross bikes coming with fender mounts generally are steel and geared for commuting. Steel + discs = 26 pounds, as in Salsa Vaya etc. There are options for quick release fenders that don't require eyelets. Get the bike you want.

Fenders Cycling Products - BikeTiresDirect

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Airborne Bicycles. Delta

Found one, the Airborne Delta. Cheap, too. Fender eyelets, but hard to discern where they are on rear dropout.

Not carbon, but alu + carbon fork, almost as light.

Trail Junkie
    The Planet X Uncle John has both Disc and Canti mounts, rack mounts, fits a 135 or 130mm spacing in the rear (can run 29er wheels or road wheels). I am working out the details for this being my next build. Frame price is $199, and there are a lot of fork options to choose from....even a matching one from them.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Misfit diSSent

Fut. Bikes:
    Banshee Phantom

~ B A D A S S ~
    Cotic X and Shand from scotland makes some bikes that would do the job I think. Also have you looked into genesis, and jamis? The Shands are semi custom so they can braze on stuff you want and leave out stuff you don't want on their "production" models.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post

This is exactly what I was going to suggest.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions. Based on availability and looks, I decided to go with the Specialized Tricross Comp disc. I was able to test ride a size 54 frame. I liked the look and ordered a size 52. Although the price was a little more, compared to another LBS, the manager was very nice to talk to and made me feel like I was not even obliged to keep the bike, if I didn't want it. I was at another LBS the other day and wanted to order the Tricross in a size 52 and the guy wanted me to put a down payment on a bike. Unfortunately, that committed me to buying the bike. And since it had to be ordered, it was considered as a "special order", therefore, I could not return the bike. It's not like I was ordering a custom high end bike. Besides, they were ordering the same bike for inventory, but in a different size anyways. So I declined and walked away.

Another reason I selected this bike was due to a knee injury, I received a few months ago. I tried riding aggressively at the trails the other day and still felt the pain in the my knee. I was thinking I won't be able to ride a cross bike as I would like to for a long while, so I would rather just wait until more cross bikes come out with disc brakes sometime later, before buying one.

Anyway, thanks again for all the suggestions.
    Last edited by ecub; 08-26-2012 at 11:17 PM.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Still not much available, this is a new segment of the market. You did good, giving your business to a LBS. I wanted the Dirty Disco and got it online. The closest thing my LBS could get is the Auger, a grand more. I like to pick my own components anyway.

DSC04171

mtbr member
    No eyelets for racks, but I ordered FM059 disc cyclocross frames from Dengfu in China and picked the box with the frames up from the USPS this morning. Took a quick snapshot of the frames (image below) and a quick inspection reveals that the internal cable ports for the rear brake cable are plumbed for mechanical brakes. Rumor has it SRAM will have hydraulic Red shifters/brakes very soon but when road hydaulic becomes available, I will have to carefully drill out the cable bosses which I may due anyway to run a full length housing to the rear brake. Inspection of the contents of the box and I found 2 frames (size 52 & 56), 2 forks, 2 seat post clamps, and the 2 extra deraileur hangers I requested but no headsets (not surprised). So while I did not yet weigh the forks, I was pleasantly surprised to find the weights a tad less than advertised with the size 52 weighing 1240 grams and the 56 weighing in at 1270 grams.

Although our disc cyclocross bike project is still awaiting the arrival of the carbon 29er wheels we ordered from Light-Bicycle.com, I was able to use a spare 26" American Classic disc wheelset to build up the wifes bike over the weekend. Technically, the wife's bike is finished and while the diameter of 26" wheels with mtb tires is pretty close to that of 700c wheels with Specialized Trigger Pro clinchers, it has not yet been ridden but looks good and weighs in at 7.1 kg.

Fit and finish of the frames was nice but no headset was included and a query to DengFu revealed that I failed to notice it was not on the invoice at the time I ordered but Cane Creek 110 Series 1 1/8" upper with 1.5 lower works well although the outer diameter of the headtube is ~1mm wider than the upper bearing cover. Post mounts are for 140mm rotors and will require spacers/standoffs for 160 or larger but I was disappointed to find that the internal routing of the top tube routed rear brake is plumbed for the typical road brake setup thus not (yet) possible to run full length housing much less hydro brake line without some modification. I also found that the rotor mounting bolts of the front wheel slightly graze the inner face of the lower fork post mount but have not yet taken any steps to correct this as the Am Classic hubs on the 26" wheelset in question are 2008/2009 vintage and I want to see if this happens with the 29er carbon wheels built with NovaTech 711/712 hubs.
    Last edited by ms6073; 09-04-2012 at 11:30 AM.

Getaway Cycle Center
    Nov 2007

Ventana El Martillo CX "The Hammer" with Disc

Sherwood will make it any way you want it, rack/fender bosses, tappered ht, color choice, disc mnts, cable routing, rear wheel spacing.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Salsa Fargo:

Salsa Cycles | Bikes | Fargo 2

Fargo is our drop-bar, off-road adventure bike.

It has mid-blade mounts:
    Thru-mount mid-blade mounts designed to work best with Salsa Down Under lowrider rack or Minimalist rack

Teen Wolf
    check out some of raleigh's line-up. they've got some with discs and mounts

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Can't go wrong with the origin 8 .I love the fact that it will fit 2.3's I bought a vaya but found I wanted to fit fatter tires sometimes . While the vaya fits a good size tire it still only fits about a 1.75 .the cx700 frameset will leave you plenty of extra cash for the build and a sweet custom powdercoat
    Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Church of the Bike
    Kona Jake for 2013 $1149 with disc brakes. Doing a comparison project and that one with some upgrades to the fork and brakes is going to be our benchmark to compare against.

Spinistry Bike Project Part 3 – 200 miles in | The Spinistry