Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Suggestion for cross bike with disc brakes, fender and rack mounts?

8K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  unclemat 
#1 ·
I'm looking for suggestions to replace my '07 Bianchi Axis.

The Axis as been my everything bike: commuting (almost 10k miles commuting on the Axis, my commute is 15 miles and about 50% gravel bike path), century rides, cross racing, weekend bikepacking tours, even a MTB race.

The main reason I want to upgrade my bike is I want disc brakes. I have been going through rims every two years and I have crashed a few times when the rim brakes could not slow me down on wet/steep/muddy hills. My rims are super cupped right now and I do not want to replace them again, I would rather just get a whole new bike. My axis weighs ~23 lbs, I would like to get a lighter bike if possible.

My requirements are:
* Disc brakes
* fender and rack mounts

My wish list is:
* light weight
* closer to cross-racing/road geometry than touring
* under ~2.5$k
* fit up to ~32c tires
* Purchase a complete bike to save money
* BB7 Disc brakes (versus the BB5)

I would absolutely order the On-One Dirty Disco right now if it had fender/rack mounts.

Does anyone know of a carbon cross bike with fender/rack mounts?

I am currently considering the Volagi Viaj (however the brand new frame design is worrisome, but looks like it might be nice) and the Redline Conquest Disc.

Anything thoughts on the above bikes or anything I should consider?

Thanks!

See less See more
#5 ·
Just picked up my Soma DC with BB7 Discs and Sram Rival - built in Lahaska PA area for under $1700.00. Includes seat, wheels, tires, and pedals, fitting, tunes. First 20 mile ride finished an hour ago, what a difference from my old Cannondale hybrid (circa 1991)

PM me if you would like to know more. I think your requirements are easily met.

Wardman

#7 ·
Motobecane Fantom Cross Outlaw - comes with disc brakes stock. Or even better Fantom Cross Team Titanium / Fantom Cross Pro Titanium. Disc ready, but you need to put your on disc brakes and ditch the cantis.

I plan to buy one of the Fantom Ti models, and wish it came with disc brakes stock without canti posts.

Bit of a downside to the titanium frame is the rear spacing is 130mm and not 135mm, which makes wheel replacement harder. Not sure what is the rear spacing on the alu Fantom.

#8 ·
Awesome suggestions everyone, thank you!

I'm really liking the Fantom Cross Team Titanium, I probably would have never noticed that is was totally disc ready, thanks for the tip! The 130 spacing is a bummer, but if the wheels that come on it are good then it is not much to worry about. The nice thing about disc is you don't go through wheels!

However, I have googled the "Vuelta Team Super Lite w/CNC Sidewalls 6061 T6 Aluminum" rims, and all the hits are the Motobecane bike, so kinda hard to tell if they are quality wheels or not.

I also read that the decals on the Fantom Titanium bikes come off easily, which is cool, I think the bike would look a lot better toned down.

It's probably a good thing I cannot find it in stock online right now in a 58cm, otherwise I would probably do something hasty :)

#9 ·
Funny, 58cm Fantom Ti is my size, too. Went with Le Champ Ti Inferno 56cm instead ;)

The wheels are bit mystery. Vuelta XRP brand has a separate website from Vuelta USA, but contact address on both sites is the same. Seems to be Bikedirect-special branding. Anyway it seems the wheels have ok reviews overall.

Per bikedirect.com removal of decals voids the frame warranty. I guess at least the two major ones - Moto and bike name. One of the decals on the seat tube is actually a sticker, so I guess that one should not be an issue.

#10 ·
How tall are you? I'm actually considering the 61cm.

I'm 6'2". My Axis is a 59cm. So I was trying to decide between the 58 and 61. I measured my Axis and it is right between the two Moto sizes. But I think a little bigger would be a little better for me, but I'm not sure...

#15 ·
Please don't flame me for this, but a "cross" bike, by definitition, DOES NOT have fender or rack mounts.

Hell, it doesn't even have bottle cage mounts.
Sure. I suggest we call them hybrid-cross bikes. Or fred-cross bike :p Fine by me.

Point is cross-bikes with a little utility thrown in are extremely versatile and a great alternative to mtb-based hybrids or touring bikes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.