Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Steven's Vapor with TRP brakes

I'm considering a SRAM equpped Steven's Vapor with SRAM, Stan's cyclocross wheels, and TRP mechanical to hydraulic brakes. Any opinion this bike? It is alloy. Rough riding?

Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Embrocation Cycling Journal: Stevens Vapor

It's not a test ride, but looks like a nice bike. Alu frames will be harsher than steel or carbon, not that you'll notice if you just use it for racing. Would feel it if you're a gravel grinder, tho.

What's Steve asking for it? (lame joke)

jrm
    mtbr member

Thats one sexy

Bike.

The oversized headtube and carbon fork/steerer will help smooth it out a bit. On my Crosby, ive found that running a shallow amount of seat-bar drop, wide bar, generous amount of bar tape and 35c (r) and either 40c or 35c (f) tires helps. i dont race and have the bike set up for trails, gravel and just plain messing around.YMMV
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    Bike.

The oversized headtube and carbon fork/steerer will help smooth it out a bit. On my Crosby, ive found that running a shallow amount of seat-bar drop, wide bar, generous amount of bar tape and 35c (r) and either 40c or 35c (f) tires helps. i dont race and have the bike set up for trails, gravel and just plain messing around.YMMV
    Im not an engineer *yet* but I fail to see how an oversized headtube will help "smooth" out the ride whatsoever.

A tapered steertube is designed to be stiffer. The headtube is oversized to fit the larger and stiffer steertube.

The only thing on a cross bike that will ease a "rough ride" is fat tires like you said at the end.
    Hammerheadbikes.com

jrm
    mtbr member

I didn't stay @ a Holiday Inn Express last night

but from my understanding of it its the combination of the dimensions of the tapered HT combined with the material of a CF fork with a CF steerer that dampen the ride better then the same alu set up.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys